Roadsafe London

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm not sure if this has been posted before. I certainly hadn't heard of it until jamey mentioned it on the Helmet Cam page.

The Met is running a scheme whereby you can report 'illegal or nuisance' driving. It's a good alternative to getting in an argument or hitting a car* when the driver is behaving like a d!ck.

They run a check on the vehicle and send a warning letter to the registered keeper in most circumstances. It also seems they log how many complaints are made against a particular vehicle so could be a good way to root out those repeat offenders.

https://secure.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

I know gaz and jamey have used it so thanks for the tip.

*This could lead to criminal damage charges as I was reminded recently :(

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I've used it once so far. Bookmarked on home laptop.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Yep. Worth mentioning that if you have video evidence they've said (in an email to me, this morning) that they will start sending the evidence to the driver so they can see for themselves.

Provided that nobody could get the driver's details from the link, I think they said.

Not sure quite how to interpret that. I had the number plate in the title of the YouTube video and they seemed to think it would have qualified under the new system so I guess that's ok.

Edit: my mistake. I've read their email again and it's the informant details they're concerned about, not so much the driver details (although I daresay they'd have to consider that too).
  • The exchange of emails noted in the Cam thread seems to show that those running Roadsafe are open to suggestions and are flexible. All good stuff.

However, if posting clips on YouTube for forwarding to the perpetrator, personally I might create a throwaway account for each one so that some psycho couldn't stalk me and my routes by looking through the other clips.

I always think of such concerns, and then feel sad that I have to ...
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Well if it was an incident where words were exchanged the person already knows what you look like and at least one road you cycle along, plus the time of day you cycle along it.

If it was something you witnessed and they never even saw you filming it then they won't know who to look out for, even if they know which roads you travel on.