What colour of crudcatcher?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
OK, got my forks, got my wheels, got the thing pretty much built but the most important question's still to answer- what colour of mudguards should I put on the Hemlock?

fromside.jpg

Black or white? Going to be another Crudcatcher raceguard on the back and probably a standard crudcatcher on the front, or maybe an SKS Shockboard moto-style guard, or maybe just my Bender Fender.

And before someone says it, mudguards may or may not be ghey, I honestly couldn't care less, but I do care about having to be hosed down in the garden after a ride :lol:
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I like mudguards in white- highlights the fact they've actually got muddy!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Northwind
    I'm tempted by white. But then I like the shockboards and they only come in white so that might look odd. Black's a bit more understated, inasmuch as a 2 foot long oar sticking out the back of a bike can be understated.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What are the angles on that! Looks a bit slack!
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    Nice bike. :)

I'd go with white since the frame's white.
    Why so serious?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Black ones are the fastest.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Once you go black.......

Incidentally, I've got a white front CrudCatcher if you want to buy it :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Once you go black.......

and I've got a black one if you want to buy that :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    Once you go black.......

and I've got a black one if you want to buy that :wink:

Shhh, you'll sour the deal!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    edited March 2010
    black raceguard for the back because the stays and rims etc are black.

front I'd get an SKS Shockboard for when you need to anyway - take your pick what you use for milder conditions. I'll be using a NeoGuard for when / if we get a dry spell called Summer.
  • scottbowlby
    scottbowlby Posts: 143
    I say Black ;) white looks a little tacky in my opinion :/
  • I almost forgot to add my default reply to mudguard threads.

"Get a Muckynutz Bender Fender instead of one of those fugly shockboard things."
  • blister pus
    heh. he's got both already so he should be in a perfect position to say which is the more effective design.
  • heh. he's got both already so he should be in a perfect position to say which is the more effective design.

:oops:

Must. Wake. Up
  • Northwind
    Nice one, so the verdict is definately black or white then :lol: You lot are a big help! I'm kind of thinking that in the absense of a real decision or preference I should go black though, just seems to be the default option.
    "Get a Muckynutz Bender Fender instead of one of those fugly shockboard things."

Got one of those, it works surprisingly well but it's still not a patch on the shockboard. I'll probably fit it come summer but it doesn't work well enough to keep the muck off my camera just now. Still impressed though, cool little things, agree more people should try them.
    supersonic wrote:
    What are the angles on that! Looks a bit slack!

68 degrees, plus or minus, at the head. Something like that, static anyway. Not measured it sagged, I'd need an extra arm and head growing out of my knee :lol: Works very well though, it's so fast and confidence inspiring and just plain hilarious to ride that I've already injured myself twice out of 3 rides. Hang on, wait a sec...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have both a set of white ones and on older set of black ones.

The white ones DEFINATELY stand out more but tbh, they'd probably look better with that frame.

Black does go with everything though.
  • blister pus
    i'd like to state my preference more clearly. black for the back. white for the front.