Saddle set up

wetnwindy
wetnwindy Posts: 19
Has anyone any advice on saddle choice and set up, with regard to the following issue? After riding for around 30+ mins I begin to loose feeling in my important little places, which results in pins and needles. This can be alleviated by shifting my weight on the saddle but it's only temporary measure. Has anyone else had this problem? What saddle did they buy and how did they mount it? I obviously need a new saddle and possibly seat stem but want to know how others have dealt with it first before investing. Cheers

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Maybe try tipping the nose of the saddle down a bit.
    More problems but still living....
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Used to get numbness due to pressure, after a few different saddles I've ended up with Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow saddles on both of my bikes. Very comfortable for rides of all durations, no numbness.

But everybody is different, you want to make sure your weight is being taken through your sit-bones, not your tender parts. So depending on the width of your sit-bones, you may need a wider or narrower saddle than you currently have.

You should be trying your saddle level if not already. I've never found tipping up or down to be of any benefit, but each to their own.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Rokkala wrote:
    You should be trying your saddle level if not already. I've never found tipping up or down to be of any benefit, but each to their own.

+1. Tipping the nose up or down can have knock on effects by shifting your weight around too much, either putting too much weight on your hands and arms or even more pressure on you backside. Getting fitted for a saddle should help you to get the weight on to your sit bones. Check out the cut-away style of saddle such as the Specialized body geometry range, aimed at removing pressure from your gentleman's luggage area.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I wasn't suggesting nose-down, rather if its pointing nose-up at the moment then he should try tipping the front down a bit.
    More problems but still living....
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Also take a look at your seat height, as it may be a little high and this can also put too much pressure on your bits.