Assos or not to Assos

TipsterStu
TipsterStu Posts: 74
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
Was watching Mark Beaumont on the TV and noticed he was wearing an Assos top

Are they really so hi-performing for the money you pay?

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    the 851 airjack is as close to perfection as you can get....
    If you are a racing snake and can fit in one (buying too big not an option....)

The shorts are lurvely, and the jerseys are great but too much money.

My element zero gilet is fantastic.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    edited March 2010
    Definitely buy the shorts - your ass will thank you later!

I have owned Mille and Uno and can recommend them both - the Uno's are my personal preference but the fit and quality are second to none. I've not tried a top yet - saving my Uno for the summer.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    you really do get what you pay for.

I've got a collection of different price bracket kit, if thats a decent way to put it.

From the lidl offer jerseys, to some DHB baslayers, through alture and endura kit , some santi bits and pieces up to Assos and Rapha.

Can really say that you can feel the quality of the higher branded kit, you are definetly paying the premium, but the winter assos tights I have which cost more than 2 endura tights even in a sale I have lived in because they are that comfortable and perform that well im our crappy weather!

off topic, but been impressed by the two mavic jackets I picked up in a sale, paid 200 for both a mavic inferno jacket (very heavy weight cold weather jacket) and a hydro jacket (insulated water proof jacket), will be trying more of there kit this year
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • It's so easy to be convinced to spend money on cycling kit

Thankfully I'm not your skinny racer type and not sure what Assos would look like on a 36" waist
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've never really been aware of what jersey I was wearing, I mean whats it got to do ? I couldnt honestly telll you what top I was wearing if you had me riding blindfold. Buy it if you think it looks nice ?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    TipsterStu wrote:
    Was watching Mark Beaumont on the TV and noticed he was wearing an Assos top

Are they really so hi-performing for the money you pay?

of course! Why do you think they have been going since 1975 and built into a very successful company. The first company to create lycra bib shorts and the first company to have an elastic insert, and the first company believe it or not, to create a carbon framed bicycle.

With Assos, you get what you pay for, and when you pay for it and experience Assos, you don't think about the money. You just think about the quality, comfort and reassurance that if anything goes wrong you have the backing of a top company in regard to returns etc.

Mark Beaumont is promoting Assos because he is being paid to, simple as that. Assos doesn't need celebrity promotion but there you go, business for you ....
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Assos is no1

Over the years, I have tried so much kit etc, if you are looking for top quality kit, then I would like at these below makers

Assos
    Castelli
    Le Col ( very small company, but make good kit)
  • nicensleazy
    By the way.......my advice is, spend your money once and get good kit!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    By the way.......my advice is, spend your money once and get good kit!

agreed....

I asked this question in the winter about the winter bib tights. Despite most people saying "get Assos" I cheaped out and got DHB longs. They looked good out of the packet but first winter ride out I was VERY disappointed. They underperformed in a big way for me. Luckily I went back to my LBS after persevering for a few weeks to find the Assos on half price winter clearance sale. Next time I wont be so stupid and will just get them first time out - well that's what I'm planning to do for my summer shorts.

I don't personally go for the lycra power ranger look in jerseys though, so have some Shutt VR stuff and will likely get a Twin Six jersey as well. My personal feeling is that its shorts/bibs/tights where performance differences are most notable.

The price premium over many other brands is ridiculous for Assos stuff although the recent C+ shorts test shows plenty of other brands now >£100 a pair and some more expensive than Assos. I just hope that doesnt encourage Assos to put their prices up even more!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Assos jerseys are horrible polyester just like most of the others. How is their polyester any different? Assos clothes also make you look like a spaceman from a low budget science fiction movie. The male model they use looks like a clone. The female model... well that's another matter....
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Shorts are worth it, yes.
    Jerseys, etc, depends on whether you like the look, but they are no better than the competition IMO.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Assos for shorts/tights and winter jackets.

Jersey's not so much.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    TipsterStu wrote:
    It's so easy to be convinced to spend money on cycling kit

Thankfully I'm not your skinny racer type and not sure what Assos would look like on a 36" waist

I'm a 36 inch waist and around 6 feet tall. I wear the Assos XL shorts - and they are the best purchase I've ever made. Going to get another pair!
  • page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    when it comes to clothing i'd always go assos where possible. in the majority of cases, the people whom complain about assos kit are the ones who've never tried it.
  • nicensleazy
    Presently, I'm looking at some Le Col jerseys. I get what you are saying about the Assos jerseys. The new Mille is a lovely jersey, but not worth the money. The best Assos jersey for quality is still the Equipe.
  • nicensleazy
    Assos jerseys are horrible polyester just like most of the others. How is their polyester any different? Assos clothes also make you look like a spaceman from a low budget science fiction movie. The male model they use looks like a clone. The female model... well that's another matter....

Low budget Sci Fi movie......love it !!!!!! :D:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think their stuff has gone downhill in the last few years, gone a bit 'form over function'.

The summer jerseys are nothing special, and not worth the money. The shorts are good, but quality can vary and the pads tend to come unstitched. I have found recent Gore offerings better.

The older Airblock jackets are warmer than the current AirJack 851, they last longer and don't look so much like they're made half of tin foil! I find Gore jackets much better in terms of warmth, although Assos wins on the number and location of pockets.

Their tights are awesome though, particularly the cheapest Roubaix jobbies, fit brilliantly, nice and warm and last forever, I much prefer them to any of the AirBlock ones.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I will be sneaking off to pick up a few paid of shorts and t shirts for my london - paris ride.

After getrying my Santini gel short jobbies from CRC in the sale, I am converted for better shorts.

I have a few cheaper £35 pairs for shorter rides, and turbo etc. I never thought I would be able to tell the difference, but the Santini shorts are vastly more comftable, but I only tell this >50 miles.
  • nicensleazy
    Yes I would agree, Assos quality is not as good as a few years ago. When I compaire my Equipe jerseys to the latest offerings, they are not in the same league.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I followed a guy for about 100 metres in Richmond Park at the weekend.

He had black Assos shorts on and was a 36+ waist.

The shorts were a bit stretched and I saw far too much of that guy's crack than I wanted to. They were pretty much see through. Thankfully the pad spared me a close and personal glimpse of his chocolate starfish.

Make sure they fit folks.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    guinea wrote:

The shorts were a bit stretched and I saw far too much of that guy's crack than I wanted to. They were pretty much see through. Thankfully the pad spared me a close and personal glimpse of his chocolate starfish.

What do you carry your tape measure in?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • onthefells
    onthefells Posts: 157
    I've got 2 assos tops that I bought 10 years ago for a trip to Costa Rica...still going strong and are the only 2 assos tops I've ever bought!!

their shorts are superb but I've also got some le col winter tights that I really like. with shorts its all about fit...some £80 ones that fit perfectly will be better than some £160 ones that are an alright fit....however some perfectly fitting £160 ones will be better than the previous £80 ones that also fit perfectly...its up to the individual to decide whther the extra £80 is worth paying :lol:
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited March 2010
    I don`t think it`s your waist size that matters as much as the size of your butt, I have quite a big bottom and I find the Assos pad a bit narrow and thin. It does say in the Assos booklet that their stuff isn`t meant for fat people but i`m not exactly a lardarse.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I used to have a pair of Assos Airblock tights (dated 1990). One word - brilliant.

After having some years off the bike I got back into riding a few years ago, and had to get some new kit. Would love to have bought some Assos shorts and tights but I think they would have come with a divorce if I spent that much. I've dhb and Altura which I think are pretty good for the price point.

Assos is expensive to throw out if you end up sliding down the road, other lower cost brands won't give you an emotional ouch when putting them in the bin.

Also if Assos is so good why don't more pro teams use them ?
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Also if Assos is so good why don't more pro teams use them ?

Err, Assos are so good that they don't need to sponsor teams to increase their sales. Why would assos waste their marketing budget sponsoring a team?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Scrumple wrote:
    the 851 airjack is as close to perfection as you can get....
    If you are a racing snake and can fit in one (buying too big not an option....)

Although the white one (i.e MY ONE!!!) attracts oil stains like an MP to an expense claim :cry:
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    antfly wrote:
    It does say in the Assos booklet that their stuff isn`t meant for fat people.

More tactfully than that I hope :lol:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    guinea wrote:

I have had this experience on last Years Dragon ride. There was also a hole on the right buttock which seemed to be growing by the minute. I think its more to do with the fact that riders dont realise when their shorts are too old. Eventually the lycra becomes see through.
    I ordered some cheap Castelli shorts that were see through from new so I sent them back.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited March 2010
    I find the airjack clingy - in a good way. I see so many wearing theirs hanging off them... not the point.

I have two SS13's that I picked up for circa £40 as new - I'd say they are great, but I'd never ever pay £150 for them unless I had cash to burn. They are superb, but so is my Mavic one that cost that new.

I also have the intermediate evo, which is fab as a milder jacket, but a bit of a luxury.

Their arm and knee warmers are touted as the best, but to me they are made of the same stuff most others are. They are made better, and will last longer than budget kit but you expect that. Sometimes budget kit is better as a disposable item, than assos as a long term buy.

I'd recommend the gilet / winter jacket as essentiials if they fit and you can afford.
    The bibs are great but other makes are getting closer...

I have a climajet vest too, but I have never worn it. There are lighter ones on the market at much less.

The gore winstoppers have served me well to date, and they do the job, but they are not quite as luxurious or spec'ed as the Assos. Assos is made for cycling, and has all the pockets you will ever need, and the cut is suberb.

Remember - it is race cut and never feels right or big enough when stood up. I sent my L stuff back as it was ok until I bent over and the front panels ruffled up and became bunched. You really do have to ride it to appreciate it!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I agree that Assos is great stuff and top of the line. On the flip side whole bunches of people use so called "lesser" brands without problems or complaints. Other than the one that everyone has at the 90 mile mark of a 100 miler - "My butts getting sore".