Anyone get wet last night?

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
I did..........

I blame SCS......

Decided to try a run up past Eccup Reservoir (so, instead of heading West to go home, I headed North :lol: ). I shrugged of the light shower 5 minutes in with a 'is that the best you've got, oh Gods of weather. P'ah - you don't scare me' sort of thing and carried on. After 30 minutes, I was crossing Eccup Reservoir when I heard a bit of a crash and noticed that the clouds to the East looked the sort of colour they go when some idiot has upset the Gods of weather. I just managed to get my rainjacket on before it hit me. 5 miles of torrential downpour and crashing thunder and my sealskin socks had got bored of keeping my feet dry. I missed a turn in the downpour and ended up cutting back into Cookridge (adding an extra couple of bonus miles) though at least the weather was now bright and cheerful. For a while. By Yeadon, it had all returned with a vengeance and I was drowned again. I came down the bank from Yeadon to Apperley Bridge doing about 30 with, at one point, zero visibility.

Still, it did get me an extra 10.5 miles so it was worth it. Of course, if I'd gone straight home I'd have missed all of the bad weather.......
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Yes I did thanks.

And this morning :(
    But I got blown in to work in record time :D
    I'm not looking forward to the trip home though :(
    Maybe I should stay at work until the wind turns? :?
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    My gloves were still wet from the morning ride resulting in numb fingers after 3 miles (of 19).
    Of course, the PF had to visit then of course.

It was hailing for a time too.
    :roll:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Nope, I didn't get wet last night - the hail just bounced of - owww
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I got soaked last night, started pouring as I left, stopped when I got home. It's like Feb all over again.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    +1

pelted it down all the way home, just as I got in, soaked to the bone, blue skies came out!
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    +1

Soaked both on the way in and on the way home.

Is spring/summer ever going to come?
  • il_principe
    flamite wrote:
    +1

pelted it down all the way home, just as I got in, soaked to the bone, blue skies came out!

Ah ha, a fellow Wandsworthian! What you riding?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Wet Monday night, Tues am and pm and then this morning...didn't someone mention something about only getting wet 12 times a year on average...hmm
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I didn't get wet last night, and it disappointed me. Just before home time, the rain was lashing down. "Great!" I thought, "time to test my new Seal Skinz socks." But by the time I left, the rain had stopped. 10 minutes after I got home, the heavens opened again. Bah, the Seal Skinz test will have to wait for another day.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yup! I was walking Le Dog - got wet and muddy.
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    yep bladerunner rain
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • Wasn't too bad getting home last night (got a right soaking on the way in) however 12 inches of snow this morning has meant the bike stayed in the shed. :(
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Like you wouldn't believe :shock:

A certain numpty who shall remain nameless went to his club training night and spent the first half an hour desperately trying to stay on the wheel of the young, fast, guns. Given they didn't have any mud guards it was like someone with a hose pipe spraying a mixture of water and road grime in your face at 25+mph :twisted: Eventually said numpty was dropped and spent the next half an hour at a more reasonable pace, havng a good chat.

Riding back past Charing Cross the lure of a warm train got the better of me :oops: It wasn't until I got home and looked in the mirror that I realised my face was covered in road grime. You've all seen the archive pictures in Cycling Plus etc of past heroes finishing a one day classic, their faces plastered with mud and road grime, well that was me. I wondered why I kept getting some very odd looks in the cafe after club night and on the train :lol:

Have you ever tried unclogging your face of road grime, the stuff sticks like fecking glue :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I was cycling home at 10:15pm , some of the worst weather you will get, strong blustery headwinds and a constant torrential downpour.

Did I get wet ! ... No , the waterproofs did the job :)

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    got wet on the way home...then noticed a covering of snow at about 10pm...

It is still snowing now.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166
    It was tipping it down when I left the office about 6.30 (not on bike yesterday) so me and a mate took refuge in the pub for the evening :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Dry last night and minimal rain this morning too - however a very strong headwind which I'm hoping will still be around for this afternoons return... :D
    Still breathing.....
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Best soak of the year award for me!
    And as some others, blue skies when turning on the Ealing Common.
    Purfect!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    Yes,but in a nice hot shower!! :lol:
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Just a slight moistening last night, nothing compared to last thursday that was a full on soaking.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Yes, sodden.

Freedom of choice and all that, but I find it a bit irritating when fellow commuters choose not to fit mudguards to their bikes. In the mornings you can just overtake, but in the evenings along congested areas like Lower Thames St and the Embankment you just get sprayed with crap. A bit selfish, in my opinion.
  • il_principe
    BR 1979 wrote:
    Yes, sodden.

Freedom of choice and all that, but I find it a bit irritating when fellow commuters choose not to fit mudguards to their bikes. In the mornings you can just overtake, but in the evenings along congested areas like Lower Thames St and the Embankment you just get sprayed with crap. A bit selfish, in my opinion.

Oh I dunno - keeps the drafting fairies at bay. I'm not besmirching my frame with 'guards, back off or MTFU and get a grubby face. :lol:
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    drenched. Even my waterproofs leaked.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Oh, I agree on the 'guards topic.
    Really annoying, especially with REAAAAALLY slow ones when it's a pain to overtake.
    I now understand why clubs make it a must have for wet rides :)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Never mind last night : effing soaked this morning :evil: :evil: :evil:

And it's just started sleeting : no wait a minute hail is absolutely hammering down now ....

Yummy : can't wait for the ride home ... :roll: :roll:
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Yes, and I wasn't even commuting - decided to go for a spin with the guys from work, too stubborn to ditch the idea when it started raining.

Started to regret it 15mins into the ride...
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I got caught in the same monsoon as Rolf. Going down to Apperley Bridge from Yeadon my biggest worry was hitting any salmon which might be heading up the road to spawn at Leeds-Bradford Airport. I know stuff like that is character-building, but after 22 miles of it I'd completely finished building my character and was working on a small patio and barbecue area out the back.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Only the Mrs...
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Yes but not from the rain :D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    plumpy wrote:
    I got caught in the same monsoon as Rolf. Going down to Apperley Bridge from Yeadon my biggest worry was hitting any salmon which might be heading up the road to spawn at Leeds-Bradford Airport. I know stuff like that is character-building, but after 22 miles of it I'd completely finished building my character and was working on a small patio and barbecue area out the back.

Salmon? I reckon a whale would have felt at home.........

Not you that passed me at the end of the runway whilst I was foolishly watching a plane land overhead instead of heading back to home as any sensible person who has just seen pitch black sky heading his way would do?
    Faster than a tent.......