Garmin mapping??

mtbhenry888
mtbhenry888 Posts: 287
Hi,
I have got an Edge 705 for my B-day and was using a site called ridewithgps.com to create a route, uploaded it no probs but directions were all over the place when i started riding the route, I have scoured the web and this forum but cannot work out which is the best mapping software to use.

also can someone explain how to do a route, i have been loading my routes onto the courses section is this correct, and also what is a way point in non Garmin language?

as you can tell i am rather confused and would appreciate a little advice from other edge 705ers!
Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.

Comments

• also can someone explain how to do a route, i have been loading my routes onto the courses section is this correct
    That's probably your problem. I believe routes should be going in the GPX file (at least that's where all mine are). The Course folder is for tcx. files.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bikeroutetoaster
    Bikely
    Bikehike

Will be mentioned no doubt.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mtbhenry888
    ok, so how do i get them into another folder, i am saving them from the website then importing them into training centre then uploading to device which automatically puts them into courses folder.
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • When I do mine I map it on bikely, download the file then copy it and paste it into the GPX folder of the Garmins memory. You will be able to transfer the file from the course folder into the GPX folder in the same way. If it's worked you should be able to find the route under saved rides on your Garmin.

This is how I do it anyway. Don't know if it's the best way but it works fine for me :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Mapsource if you want a .gpx that works properly.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mapsource if you want a .gpx that works properly.
    I was never able to get on with that. I can't have been using it right because it seemed like such a hassle and didn't give turn by turn directions.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    ok, so how do i get them into another folder, i am saving them from the website then importing them into training centre then uploading to device which automatically puts them into courses folder.
    Use Windows File Explorer to copy and paste files onto the Garmin memory (acts as a virtual hard drive when connected to the pc).

Have a look on Frank Kinlan's website for explanations as to difference between waypoints, coursepoints etc - v useful site
    http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I pre-plan my ride on www.gpsies.com there are other sites but this one works for me.

Create the ride on your PC using your favorite mapping website.

Once you're happy that the route is correct export it as a GPX file (if you have the option between GPX track or GPX route choose the GPX track version). Download the file to your PC.

Connect your edge via the USB cable. You'll see that it has 2 drives, one is the SD card with the map and the other is the memory of the Edge. Open the Garmin folder on the Edge not the SD card. There should be several files and folders inside. Drag your downloaded GPX file to the GPX folder. When you're finished disconnect the Edge.

IMPORTANT - Make sure to set the Navigation Recalculation to OFF

When you're ready to ride start the Edge and from the main menu select 'Where to? - Saved Rides', select your ride from the list, you'll get a pop up menu on screen, select 'Navigate'. You now have to wait a while whilst the Edge calculates the route, this can take a while depending on the length of the route.

That's it. The edge will beep once at you about 20sec before a turning and display the map screen with an arrow on it showing you where to go. It will then beep twice and display the map when you get closer to the turn. You still need to keep your wits about you as there maybe several turns before the one you want, so a quick glance at the map is really helpfull.
  • mtbhenry888
    thanks for all the great advice looks like i have finally go it working!
  • mtbhenry888
    i am having some issues, i load a route onto my garmin, it comes up as in the saved rides but then i add another and only 1 shows up, so i delete all rides from the GPX folder and the original ride is still in the folder!!

cannot add or remove rides from the folder please help!
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    This may sound a bit obvious but are you calling the routes by different names? The name that shows up on the Garmin are not the file names, so if you've named your routes the same on the routing website then you may have problems when loaded onto the Garmin.

When you delete files from the Garmin, make sure you empty the Waste Bin before you disconnect the Garmin.

- Garry