Healthy recipes thread

zedders
zedders Posts: 509
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
I did a quick search and there doesn’t appear to be a healthy recipes thread. One or two mentions in MTB and commuter sections, but nothing dedicated to one of my favourite topics. Food!
I thought it might be a good idea to have one? Mainly because I’m a fat bloater! The main aim of the thread is to post recipes that are quick, easy, and most importantly delicious and good for you? Mine to start off, a completely random effort:

Butternut squash and Red pepper Soup.

Peel and chop one medium sized Butternut squash, one Red pepper, and one Onion. Add all to a large pot, and add 2 pints of hot vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil, & then simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until the butternut squash is soft and tender (cooked).
Blend all, add freshly ground black pepper and serve with fresh crusty bread! Viola! Done. Delicious.

Info: Butternut squash is a well-balanced food source that is rich in complex carbohydrates and low in saturated fat and sodium. It is a very good source of vitamins A and C and a good source of beta-carotene, magnesium, manganese, calcium and potassium.

Anyone else got a good “healthy” recipe to share?
"I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    One of my favourites. Tasty, cheap and quick............

Portion(s) of spaghetti. While cooking simply warm a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes. Stir in a clove or two of crushed garlic into the oil when the spaghetti is ready. Don't overheat and burn. Stir into cooked spaghetti. Serve with warm ciabatta and a few 'on the vine' tomatoes, if desired.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Aggieboy wrote:

Portion(s) of spaghetti. While cooking simply warm a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes. Stir in a clove or two of crushed garlic into the oil when the spaghetti is ready. Don't overheat and burn. Stir into cooked spaghetti. Serve with warm ciabatta and a few 'on the vine' tomatoes, if desired.
    Don't you have a woman to do that for you? :wink:
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Warm Mackeral and Beetroot Salad

Spinach and rocket leaves (any slad leaves will do)
    Cut Up Beetroot
    Sprinkle of capers
    Flake warmed smoked Mackerel
    Mix all together

Mix Half teaspoon of Horsradish Sauce with 2-3 tablespons Creme Fraich
    Squeeze lemon juice
    sprinkle lightly on salad

Serve with warm Brown Pitta Bread

If i have been out riding I often add acouple of soft boiled eggs for some protien.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Ands wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

:lol: Men are the best chefs.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ands
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Ands wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

:lol: Men are the best chefs.
    That's what Hopper said too :wink:
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    FISH

1. Catch Fish
    2. Kill Fish
    3. Cook Fish (optional)
    4. Eat Fish

Note: High in natural Fish oils
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    Aggieboy wrote:

Add some finely sliced mushrooms to the oil too :D
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • Ands
    Anyway, here's my offering :) Mexican Spirals - very quick & easy (capsicum=pepper). Serve with huge dollop of natural yoghurt on top

ANALYSIS per serve 4
    Energy kJ (Cal) 2449 (585)
    Carbohydrate (g) 111
    Protein (g) 24
    Fat (g) 4
    Fibre, Vitamin C, Iron, Zinc

Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 15 minutes
    Serves: 4
    Spray of canola or olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons ground coriander
    1 teaspoon chilli powder
    1 red capsicum, chopped
    1 green capsicum, chopped
    440 g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    3 large tomatoes, chopped
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    500 g spiral pasta
    ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves

Spray a large pan with oil and heat. Cook the onion for 3 minutes over medium heat or until soft. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add the capsicum, beans, tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered, for 10 minutes. While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water until al dente. Drain well. Stir the coriander into the sauce and serve over the pasta.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Westerberg wrote:
    FISH

1. Catch Fish
    2. Kill Fish
    3. Cook Fish (optional)
    4. Eat Fish

Have you got something against fish?
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Westerberg wrote:
    FISH

1. Catch Fish
    2. Kill Fish
    3. Cook Fish (optional)
    4. Eat Fish

Have you got something against fish?

I can see where this may be going! The Fish is off, and off the menu! There are several other fishy threads currently running?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Get bull...cut head off...wipe arse...cook to liking...put in bread...very good
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    ^ That's not healthy............ditch the bread it'll make you fat :lol:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Westerberg wrote:
    FISH

1. Catch Fish
    2. Kill Fish
    3. Post Image Of Fish On Forum.
    4. Cook Fish (optional)
    5. Eat Fish