The Flying Scotsman on the box

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but The Flying Scotsman is on BBC1 at 11:55 Tuesday night.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Doh!... Thought you were going to tell us about the story behind the 'Quaker Oats' porridge box :oops:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • mattbass789
    mattbass789 Posts: 355
    i heard they were showing the graeme obree story. a documentary not this. am i right. or did they mean this film?
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    i heard they were showing the graeme obree story. a documentary not this. am i right. or did they mean this film?

It's the film with Jonny Lee Miller
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    I read the book which i thought was a great read, though the film was pretty poor in my opinion
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    I had the pleasure of meeting him once, pre his depression. It's a shame what has happened to him scince. I hope he can get his life back togther.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Cressers wrote:
    I had the pleasure of meeting him once, pre his depression. It's a shame what has happened to him scince. I hope he can get his life back togther.

I think he's doing OK now, isn't he? Went to the 'Bikeradar meet' and some here met him, was recently going to have another bash at the hour and on TV this week commentating at the Track World Champs IIRC
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    It's on a little late for me!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    pst88 wrote:
    It's on a little late for me!

It'll be on iplayer for when you get home from school! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    His depression dated back to his childhood, and took until after his major achievements of his world championship wins and hour records to really get dealt with. He is one of many major league sports people to have issues with depression, and he has said that it can often be part of the make up of a person so dedicated to being the best.

He's doing well nowadays, I just wish he was doing what he did in the current climate of awareness of cycling that is present in this country, then it would be him who was a household name and stuffing down bowls of bran flakes for money.

I think he put a lot of himself on the line to make his achievements, and didn't get much back.

He will always be one of the iconic characters of UK cycling to me.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • mattbass789
    Pokerface wrote:

It's the film with Jonny Lee Miller

yeah i know that! Ive seen it many a time. But whoever was covering the track champs said they had the Graeme Obree Story, a Documentary of his life. I assume they made an error and infact meant the film,

@mattbeedham
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Good night of TV on from 22:35 then I guess :D
  • mattbass789
    how long is it before every other program is cycling related?

@mattbeedham
  • AArrgg I should have seen this thread earlier. Just switched over and realised it started at 11.35 not 11.55. Looks good though so I'll no doubt seek out the missing half hour some time. :lol:
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    recorded it & wife out tonnight, so get to watch it without questions :)
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Twas good to see a night of cycling TV on BBC 1 :D
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    I watched it after the cycling americas! good evenings entertainment.

Tis a sad story of of life. and the negative attitude these big organisation have towards new ideas etc! (WCF). I run a shooting club and guys that run the big shooting bodies dont like modern new ideas and concepts and will try their best to prevent you acheiving!

Never really knew about Obree but was an insight!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Great, great film that was and inspiring. Hope they put more cycling films on in the future :D
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Silver streak? :)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Brill film! They missed out loooooooooads of the book though. I wonder how much sense it would have made if I hadn't read the book beforehand.

I was on the edge of my seat during the record attempts, even though I knew the results. There aren't many films that can draw me in like that.

Would watch again.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    I interviewed GO at the premiere of the film at the Edinburgh FIlm Festival a few years back and he was a thoroughly nice bloke, all done up in his kilt his enthusiasm and excitement was really infectious. Hats off to the man.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Enjoyed the film.Just goes to show if you've got it,you don't need all the bling.Class will come through.He reminds me of Mike Tyson(when he first arrived),no fancy gear.Just shed loads of talent&desire to reach the top.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    I like the fact that GO was his own body double on a few of the velodrome scenes; no-one better qualified I suppose.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I missed it and its not available on i-player :(
    More problems but still living....
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Oh dear. Having read the book I'd been looking forward to seeing this. Great man, great book, corny film. How disappointing.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad