Numpty question

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
Being a complete novice at road racing I figured everyone would be carrying a spare tube and probably a pump for a 7.5 mile lap race.

Turns out I was the only one with a seat pack and as far as I could tell the only one with a pump.

Have I committed some kind of faux pas? Do people just give up if they puncture?
More problems but still living....

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    usually, yes. A puncture effectively means you're out of the race. Some might want to complete the distance on their own, just for the training - others take the view that unless you are actually racing, there's no point in continuing...

if it's a particularly long loop, then you might want to think about carrying a tube and a minipump in one of your jersey pockets, but if you really are stranded then there's usually someone who will give you a lift back to the HQ...
  • bigricky
    bigricky Posts: 92
    don't worry mate i took spare tube and co2 pump on sunday for a 10 mile loop race!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Having walked miles in cycling shoes after puncturing in a race better to be safe! That said, I would probably just take my mobile now assuming I had people with me to pick me up.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    A lot of people drive to races and now in the fortunate position of having a spare wheelset if ever, ever again I get another puncture as I roll up to the start line..
    would be a very quick trot to swap wheels and try to get back in again if possible.. otherwise who wants to train in a race? not me, too dispiriting... that sort of works for circuits.. otherwise in the middle of a 10 mile lap, you might as well take your time with a spare tube and whistle a happy tune
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Good. Next time I'll stick the tube in my pocket as well. Don't want to look different :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I carry a pump & tube for every event, even the club evening TTs.

F**k walking
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Must admit I carry a mini pump - should really get CO2 just so it's less obvious. Did snap my chain once in a race - about 200 yards out of the neutralised section - obviously I would have won it otherwise.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont do what one of my clubmates did - he punctured his rear wheel - but because he was flying - he thought he'd push on for the last mile or two to the finish. Obviously he'd slowed a lot by then, and his carbon disc was fit only for scrap.