GPS rant......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Right,

To the muppets who have their TomTom gps stuck to their windscreen, right in the middle of the screen.....

I see you on the same road everyday, heading in the same direction with the GPS on - you are obviously going to work, which you clearly know the route to! The traffic that you are sat in, you could have re-routed around, but chose not to - so why have your GPS/Sat Nav on?

As for anyone else - it is a great invention, but I don't see the need to use it everyday for the same journey unless you are gonna re-route around traffic......

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I like it, you can check which way they are going to turn without indicating. This has actually helped on more than one occasion.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have TomTom installed on my smartphone which is stuck to the screen, in the middle, so when I take calls with the integrated bluetooth I can see who the caller is.

Also remember that TomTom can provide live traffic updates to the driver and suggest alternate routes so as to save them time when driving....

<edited to sound a lot less sarcastic>
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I would also take issue with the driver's vision being obstructed when a satnav is stuck on the windscreen.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    But the middle of the screen, not in the right hand corner?

I know a couple of people like that, my mate had been living in London for about 6 months and despite regular trips back to home, still used his sat nav for both the 'there' and 'back' trips.

My ex was the same, after 2 years at uni she still used hers to get home and then get back again.

I'm all for technology, and they're handy when you're somewhere new, but after a brief free trial of software on my phone I've gone back to a print out of google maps, twinned with an atlas. That way I pay much more attention to where I'm going and only need the directions for the first one or two trips, after that I know the way.

I think that if all you know is "turn left" rather than learning "turn left onto Smith Street, which is about half a mile up the main road, just opposite the car dealership, and a 30 second drive down from the top of the hill" then you'll end up relying on the sat nav because you never really pay attention to where you're going.

That said, I'd still like one for my bike :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gtvlusso
    I have the sat nav system on in my car, but it is factory fit - It is on permanently, though not giving directions - also has the radio, TV, DVD and ipod and bluetooth system integrated....

I do object to restricted vision and it would appear that allot of people just have it there out of habbit.

I see the same cars in the same traffic each day with the TomTom on! Staggers me! Why make the effort to plug it in, stick it on and fire it up?
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I use my tomtom, even though I know where I'm going, just to remind me where the speed cameras are.

Very helpful when I'm on the phone, and not paying attention to the road, but the againg I don't see any cyclist on the A12 doing 50, so that makes it alright!

;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • gtvlusso
    snooks wrote:
    I use my tomtom, even though I know where I'm going, just to remind me where the speed cameras are.

Very helpful when I'm on the phone, and not paying attention to the road, but the againg I don't see any cyclist on the A12 doing 50, so that makes it alright!

;)

Ah - did not think about speed cameras! Although, you'd figure that people would know after doing the same route everyday!
  • Legally, they shouldn't be in the middle of the Windscreen:

The Road Traffic Act's Construction and Use regulations say:

"the satellite navigation unit must not be located anywhere within the sweep of the windscreen wipers or anywhere else that would cause obstruction to the clear vision of the driver"
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    They may be keeping track of their Commuter Stats...cyclists don't have a monopoly on this sort of stuff, you know!

:-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    I find it very difficult to read people's TomToms if they are stuck in the middle of the windscreen... so selfish :wink:
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    If the traffic service worked properly I'd happily sign up but the quality of information available about the traffic seems to be rubbish, from what I can tell reading threads and comments about it online.

Plus it only does big roads... Like, quite a lot of A-roads aren't even covered by it.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    gtvlusso wrote:
    snooks wrote:

;)

Ah - did not think about speed cameras! Although, you'd figure that people would know after doing the same route everyday!

I found a foolproof way of avoiding the speed cameras, I drive at or below the speed limit

:roll:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Attica wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    snooks wrote:

;)

I found a foolproof way of avoiding the speed cameras, I drive at or below the speed limit

:roll:

hence spend more time worrying about your speed than the road conditions or obstacles....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • attica
    hence spend more time worrying about your speed than the road conditions or obstacles....

What obstac.... Oh!

Actually maintaining a constant speed is not really that difficult and I find that a constant round of visual checks - in front, behind, speed (repeat) helps me stay more alert on longer drives.

I've damned myself doubly now and will probably have an accident whilst speeding next time I drive, gah!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Kieran_Burns
    It is a bone of contention that rather than drive to the condtions and changing circumstances (and as you say run the check cyle); you are diverting attention to something that only takes an arbitrary snap shot of a single act at a single time.

I don't like speed cameras, they don't police the roads, nor aid in the safety of the same; they simply penalise in a very limited manner.

Ahhh.... we could end up in a huge debate about scameras here, but I have just thought again about the original point and realised that I have seen people with the Sat Nav actually placed directly in FRONT of the driver, like some kind of opaque HUD. Which frankly is terrifying.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • attica
    Absolutely - and as I implied, I am not always below the speed limit, but certainly within spitting distance thereof and hopefully driving safely.

Satnavs are just disempowering too:-
    I have followed them to places and had no idea where I was, if I try the same journey with a map I generally have some idea of how to get home afterwards.

I like the opaque HUD reference :lol:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    scameras

Really? :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    bails87 wrote:
    I think it is far safer to have the GPS in the middle of the screen where you can look around it. There is fairly little risk of not seeing a (close by) bike behind it. The A-pillars of modern cars are quite big (due to airbags) and these blind spots can be pretty dangerous. Putting a GPS against them, increasing the blind spot even further doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Aapje wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    I think it is far safer to have the GPS in the middle of the screen where you can look around it. There is fairly little risk of not seeing a (close by) bike behind it. The A-pillars of modern cars are quite big (due to airbags) and these blind spots can be pretty dangerous. Putting a GPS against them, increasing the blind spot even further doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Don't they all talk? Do you really need more than a very quick glance ala checking a radio station or the time, hence having them away from the windscreen at all, on the centre console somewhere would seem the best place for them.
    If not there, and it's not always possible, that blind spot caused by the A-pillar would seem the very place to put one, as you've already lost that sightline.
    You may be able to see around them, but you can't see through them, so putting them anywhere where they reduce visibility doesn't work for me.
    But then I don't have one and I'm the sort who places the tax disk so far into the bottom corner of the windscreen you can't see half of it from outside the car. I resent it being there at all, what's wrong with the numberplate?