Socks for cold feet

Ginjafro
Ginjafro Posts: 572
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
I went to New Zealand recently and discovered Merino/Possum Wool socks. During the recent cold weather here in the UK they have kept my feet toasty. You can buy them here online for anything between £15-£18. Sounds a lot but worth it in my opinion to prevent the misery of cold feet.

Now some might be disturbed about the fate of "cute" possums in the harvesting of their wool but NZ has a very definite attitude to the little fellahs and their effect on the environment. Anyway, if you are interested in such warm socks you'll make your own mind up about the ethics of Possum Wool.
Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
Cove Hustler
Planet X Pro-Carbon

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I love it - I'm going to get a pair to wear under my chinchilla overshoes!! :lol:
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I use these and have the matching gloves too (not for cycling mind you). They are definately very warm and beautifully soft. They are not thick either.

Downsides are that they are not very hardwearing which is fine for cycling but less so for regular wear and they will shrink on regular washing cycles.

Possums aren't native to NZ and are a bit of an environmental disaster over there.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I take it the possums are not sheared and then released unharmed then :(
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    They probably just have to gather them off the roads.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Guz
    Guz Posts: 45
    Thanks for the heads up :wink:

my feet suffer throughout all the British seasons.

I use skealskins.
  • LazyLoki
    LazyLoki Posts: 127
    Defeet Woolie Boolies - mmmm toasty! 8)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Sealskins with overshoes, toasty!
    Richard

Giving it Large