Ribble (Discuss)

StanwaySteve62
StanwaySteve62 Posts: 702
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
New here and new to road bikes as well but have picked up some anti Ribble feeling.
Bikes look good in the mags
Whats the strory then ? Guess its because theres no LBS support for them?

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I like Ribble generally. People rave about Planet X which is a similar operation in some ways because 'they are such a nice bunch of people'. Well, I've bought bikes from both - in both cases the bikes were great BUT Ribble actually provided good better customer service than Planet X. Some of the carbon Ribbles are really quite nice bikes.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Most of the 'bad feeling' tends to stem from demand outstripping supply & hence delays in fulfilling orders. The carbon bikes can't be faulted on a vfm basis. I'd happily buy one, but also be prepared to wait for delivery.
    Cycling weakly
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I've made about 3-4 orders with Ribble. They were quite efficient each time.

I haven't had to call them, or return anything, which, judging from others' gripes, is where they slip up a bit..

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    They are very good but over-stretched at times. Also, they do have a shop unlike some other mail order companies.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    It's around 2-4week wait for delivery/completion. I enquired about their shop in Preston and that's the time frame they gave me when I asked about their bikes.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    My Ribble frameset arrived quickly - very well packaged - everything in good order - great prices - good value for money - generally, very pleased with Ribble.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Only ever had good dealings with them, orders always arrived in good time and accurately.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    the only issue I've ever seen is contacting ribble through email which can be a problem sometimes as they just dont answer. I phoned and got through straightaway.

quality of products is normally top notch and prices tend to be great once over 50quid

no reason to not shop with them, I have a ribble bike and I'd buy another
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • I've been dealing with Ribble for 30yrs and in that time their products and prices have always been competative...and if I've ever had to take anything back its always been replaced with no questions asked..always got on well with all the staff past and presant...the only downside is that the retail shop as gone and I do'nt really enjoy shopping on line as I like to see and compere items before buying...but the upside is that I now do'nt have to travel into Preston as the warehouse/outlet is only 1ml from my house
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Some slate Ribble to make themselves feel better. They have spent £2000+ on a nice branded bike, and then someone turns up on a Ribble which cost £1500 and is probably just as good. Some don't like it and have to justify their own purchase by moaning about Ribble?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    Been shopping online with Ribble for about 7 years and the only problem was when they sent me 2 front wheels with my winter build. Phoned them at 9:30 in the morning and there was a courier at my door about 14:00 the same day with a replacement.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    zedders wrote:
    Some slate Ribble to make themselves feel better. They have spent £2000+ on a nice branded bike, and then someone turns up on a Ribble which cost £1500 and is probably just as good. Some don't like it and have to justify their own purchase by moaning about Ribble?

Really? The only issues I've ever read about is that they are sometimes slow in responding to inquiries and that there can be long delays on bike orders. They're usually my first port of call for parts and I've never had any problems with them.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    I'm pro-Ribble. Decent prices, good frames - I've been commuting on mine for 3 years and it's sooper. Yeah go for it.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Ribble are good at selling stuff I find, and if they weren't they'd probably go bankrupt. It's their dealing with aftersales stuff that they slip up on. Although I ordered some tyres before xmas and they didn't come by the end of January, and once I'd contacted them they sorted it out alright.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • had no problems with them and I am 20 000 klms away. one big order did not arrive after 3 weeks, contacted them and they sent 'another' order....reckon they had just forgotten but all was OK. stop whinging you lot their prices are fantastic! managed to get some Campy 9 speed stuff recently very cheaply and one inch carbon forks. yanks wanted ridiculous amount to post the same forks. I dont even bother with US sites anymore. Wiggles are excellent also, sent something back and they also refunded the postage!
  • I did a lot of research into both the Planet X and the Ribble before ordering my new bike at the start of the year and I found that the Ribble frames are a newer, more developed grade of carbon in comparison to the Planet X. The Planet X frames were at the top of their game when carbon frames were first introduced, however they have changed them very little since then (not so much the design, but more the quality of carbon used) and as a result they are seriously outdated in comparison to Ribble. I bought the Scuro RS with Dura-ace groupset and carbon wheels for £2500! Bargain, given the amount of technology in the frame! For £2500 I don't honestly believe I could have purchased a better quality bike!
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I did a lot of research into both the Planet X and the Ribble before ordering my new bike at the start of the year and I found that the Ribble frames are a newer, more developed grade of carbon in comparison to the Planet X. The Planet X frames were at the top of their game when carbon frames were first introduced, however they have changed them very little since then (not so much the design, but more the quality of carbon used) and as a result they are seriously outdated in comparison to Ribble. I bought the Scuro RS with Dura-ace groupset and carbon wheels for £2500! Bargain, given the amount of technology in the frame! For £2500 I don't honestly believe I could have purchased a better quality bike!

Hi,

I own a PX Pro SL and am looking at getting either the NEW PX or a Ribble late 2010/early2011.

How is the Scuro RS? I REALLY like the look of it but the ISP really puts me off. Can you still visit Ribble prior to purchase or not?
  • skinson
    skinson Posts: 362
    How is the Scuro RS? I REALLY like the look of it but the ISP really puts me off. Can you still visit Ribble prior to purchase or not?

Yeah, they have a warehouse shop 2 mins from junct 29 M6. :wink:
    Dave
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    New here and new to road bikes as well but have picked up some anti Ribble feeling.
    Bikes look good in the mags
    Whats the strory then ? Guess its because theres no LBS support for them?

I would pick up on the new to road bikes which would lead me to maybe not buying a bike online.
    Looking good in the pictures is part and parcel of the game, but I really have to recommend going to a bike shop in person.
    No anti Ribble as such and I was that close to having specced up abd ordering one myself - but it was always ending up with a price tag of well in excess of 2k - so I decided in the end to put the money in my local economy.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Garry H wrote:
    zedders wrote:

Really? The only issues I've ever read about is that they are sometimes slow in responding to inquiries and that there can be long delays on bike orders. They're usually my first port of call for parts and I've never had any problems with them.

I have a ribble! I think there great. I was just trying to say why sometimes they have a bad rap?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Whilst pro Ribble I do think JGSI (above) makes a good point. Always best to see a bike in the flesh if you can. Easy for me in the case of Ribbles as I live in Preston!

Is it still the case that you can't test ride a Ribble? Used to be this way in the old shop. This does represent a wekness of Ribble, Planet X and the like in my view.

Also you can pick up bargains in the LBS. I recently got an ex display Look 565 with Rival, Mavic SLs etc for 1.5k. Not much more than a Ribble really. Worth keeping your eyes open. That was from Bowland Cycling in Scorton Lancs by the way - a few mile North of Preston.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    I have used Ribble quite a lot over the last few years and agree with the sentiments of Red Dragon; They are good at selling good stuff cheap.

I bought my Sportive last year as you can't get a Pedal Force RS2 (same frame) on C2W. I bought it with the full knowledge that after sales may be sketchy. I found this out last week when I stripped a non standard fixing bolt in my Ergo's (http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12688915). Ribble denied all knowledge deapite the fact that I said all I wanted was a replacement bolt and was not bothered why it was not a genuine part and they said the only recourse was for them to sent both Ergo's to Campag in Italy for an assessment, also known as a cop out. As I didn't expect them to give me the same fine service as Jeff at Mercian in Derby who did sort out replacements, whilst I am dissapointed this will not stop me using Ribble if the price is right.

Someone very profound once said "You get what you pay for". With Ribble the product is good, its cheap so what you pay for is less that exemplary service when YOU want it, however you may get lucky and if they want to give great service sometimes they will.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')