The Pedal bicycles (Safety) regulations 2010

Old Pedaller
Old Pedaller Posts: 104
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Whilst the Regs themselves may be of passing interest the explanatory memorandum at http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2010/em/uks ... 198_en.pdf are of some note, with this extract (which presumably only covers new bikes):

"In their 2001 report MIntel found that the average price of an adult bicycle sold in the UK was £107 but this is thought to have reduced since – Bike Biz statistics suggest a figure as low as £80."

That's an awful lot of bikes at pocket money prices to balance the effect of the price tags I see in the average shop. How on earth can the average be about the general supermarket price for BSOs?

Comments

• ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I'd guess that Mintel may not be gathering data from Independent bike shops and so the figures are skewed by Halfords and the BSO's that the supermarkets and sunday supplement mail order gimps push out.
  • Lots of children's bikes at 30-50 quid???
  • I wondered about that but at sales of 3.5 million total I don't believe there are enough kids bikes sold to balance out the expensive adult bikes (10 kids for every 1 £500 adult bike?).
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Lots of children's bikes at 30-50 quid???

crikey where do you get kids bikes for that price?
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    mr_si wrote:
    Lots of children's bikes at 30-50 quid???

crikey where do you get kids bikes for that price?

Asda

Old Pedaller: The median price for adult bikes is way, way lower than £500. I can't remember what it is exactly (You could probably google it easily enough) but its low enough to make your blood run cold.