edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Annual budget £9 million.

Equivalent to 1 Jonathan Ross and 1 Ann Robinson. :x

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... ed-picture

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    best music station going.

get rid of plastic chops... JR is leaving anyway.
  • White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    6music is exactly what the BBC SHOULD be doing, rather than some of the poncing about they do. Surely, there is little need for Radio1 nowadays for example? They have a playlist of about 50 songs, all of which can be found on Heart or Absolute.

Radio 2 is more cutting edge than Radio1. R2 cover things like WOMAD, while R1 stick to the "Dad Rock" fest that Glastonbury is becoming. Simon Mayo has new acts in the studio while R1 let the likes of U2 and Coldplay get a free opportunity to air their new stuff.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    You could probably condense the three stations into one and still have plenty of space lft to fill with something worth hearing.

Contract into quality should be the BBC's mantra.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I say scrap 95% of BBC1.
    Mañana
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    There is plenty of scope for the BBC to do what it does best, rather than do everything and do it badly.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I'm gutted.

I tried 6 music the other night for the first time and have to say it's the best radio I've listened to in ages.

The friggin' irony!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    I'm gutted.

I tried 6 music the other night for the first time and have to say it's the best radio I've listened to in ages.

The friggin' irony!

I did the same thing. How did they have a radio station that no-one knew about? (I listen
    to the radio, mostly BBC all the time).

Also, why when faced with some small budget cuts do they take away the things that
    are good? It's a bit childish.

As mentioned before, most of BBC1 could go. It's all done by other stations already.
    Website and much of it's radio is very good, but they do tend to spend a lot more than
    the commercial world.
    exercise.png
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cressers wrote:

Contract into quality should be the BBC's mantra.

Agree 100%

Was talking about this with the Mrs on sunday night while watching "Tropic Of Cancer" on BBC2. I just can't imagine ITV making a show like that, and even if they did it would be presented by a "celebrity" and ruined by about 5 ad breaks. The BBC needs to change but keep producing the quality stuff like Planet Earth/Newsnight/Waking The Dead/Mock The Week and let commercial stations pump out the day to day celebrity/soap stuff.

They should ditch or reorganise Radio 1 which is adequately covered by commercial radio and concentrate on Radio 2/3/4/5&6 which have more unique content. 6Music is a fantastic station but poorly marketed from the start and hamstrung by being on digital only.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    The BBC needs to change but keep producing the quality stuff like Planet Earth/Newsnight/Waking The Dead/Mock The Week

+Eleventy Billion!!!!

I remember reading somewhere that the total budget for the Planet Earth series was equivalent to 1 series of Jonathon Ross. Now, I'm sorry, but from my point of view that money in planet earth produced so much more than that in Jonathon Ross. "Celebrity" shows are two a penny, approachable, well made docus are virtually extinct (especially on terrestrial)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    6music is the best radio station going for new music but also for DnB, Soul, Funk, Reggae, Prog, Punk, Experimental, Hip-Hop and on and on. It's more like listeto your mates record collection instead of loud mouth unfunny moyles.

I've had a digital radio radio for 2 years now and even listen to 6music over the internet. Please lend your support by listening for a few days and if like me agree it's way too valuable for up and coming artists like Fight like Apes to lose then get in touch and complain to : srconsultation@bbc.co.uk

For instance how come the MP vanity project of BBC Parliment costs nearly a £1 per viewer is not being scrapped.

I don't work for the BBC but facing waking up without 6music is kind of depressing. Especially not being able to sign in to George Lamb at the weekends.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    What Symo said

Hole in the Wall - I mean really
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    If you haven't heard them I recommend Chris Hawkings followed by Shaun Keaveny in the mornings. Adam & Joe (always good and the podcasts are brilliant), the amazingly gorgeous Lauren Lavern, Mark Riley. Hell it's all good. Seriously listen for a few days I guarantee you won't go back to anything else.

Oh and George Lamb at the weekends breakfast show GA DOOSH!
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    zanes wrote:
    The BBC needs to change but keep producing the quality stuff like Planet Earth/Newsnight/Waking The Dead/Mock The Week

+Eleventy Billion!!!!

I remember reading somewhere that the total budget for the Planet Earth series was equivalent to 1 series of Jonathon Ross. Now, I'm sorry, but from my point of view that money in planet earth produced so much more than that in Jonathon Ross. "Celebrity" shows are two a penny, approachable, well made docus are virtually extinct (especially on terrestrial)

Ah, but in a saturated TV and Radio market where there are so many channels available it becomes impossible for people to know what's on where (just look at the people who didn't know about 6 Music in this thread) A large part of the role of the Jonathan Ross show is to advertise upcoming shows, introduce the people involved and hopefully get you interested enough in them that you remember to watch that new show they are in.
    You can't buy that, ITV and Sky aren't going to do much of it for BBC shows, and more people will watch Jonathan Ross than almost anyone else in the country. I've seen what heppens when you get a bad presenter doing that show (Pat Kenny) and it makes the whole thing far less sucessfull and would be a false saving.
  • kell
    kell Posts: 32
    So are Adam and Joe ever going to come back? They're the funniest thing on the radio.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Ah, but in a saturated TV and Radio market where there are so many channels available it becomes impossible for people to know what's on where (just look at the people who didn't know about 6 Music in this thread) A large part of the role of the Jonathan Ross show is to advertise upcoming shows, introduce the people involved and hopefully get you interested enough in them that you remember to watch that new show they are in.
    You can't buy that, ITV and Sky aren't going to do much of it for BBC shows, and more people will watch Jonathan Ross than almost anyone else in the country. I've seen what heppens when you get a bad presenter doing that show (Pat Kenny) and it makes the whole thing far less sucessfull and would be a false saving.

I'll be honest- I don't really know about channel saturation as we only have terrestrial/freeview. I think the point I was making still stands though- The BBC seems to be proposing to cut out quality/niche interests (6 radio/asian network etc) in the interests of relatively shallow but popular shows.

The problem is, the BBC doesn't need necessarily popular (ie. money spinner shows) as it's main income is from licence payers. Is it not in it's remit to produce material that may be unavailable elsewhere.

I'll also admit you can make the arguement that planet earth etc. could be commercially viable. I also vehemently dislike the celebrity status/culture Ross et al bring to this country's psyche.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    crying shame my car doesn't have DAB as 6 music would win every time.

you need to listen to Tom Robinson - a wonderful mix. Check his tracklistings for a flavour
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I like it too. Shame they didn't sell it a bit more/more effectively; I suspect it could have been much more popular. I first heard about on Bike Radar - Chris Noir I think...
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.