Addicted to cycling

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Interesting article in today's Times:
While drug dependence sets in within weeks, exercise dependence takes about two years to develop. Dr Adams says that over time, intense exercise elevates levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that the brain uses to provide pleasurable feedback. To compensate for the higher levels, the number of dopamine receptors in the brain’s pleasure pathways are reduced. Then when an exercise dependent person can’t exercise, dopamine levels fall, causing distress.

James Evans, 41, believes that he was addicted to cycling. He used to hide how much he was doing from his wife. “If I’d cycled 30 miles I’d say I’d done ten and gone for a beer with a cycling buddy because she was getting resentful about how much I was doing,” he says. “I must be the only husband to say they’d been to the pub when they hadn’t.”

He became hooked after a friend persuaded him to take part in a charity bike ride. “I was thinking about being on the bike at home, when I was with the kids, when I was at work. If I couldn’t cycle at the weekend — as when we had to attend a wedding — I would be boiling inside. I’ve cut down a lot now, but in many ways I wish I hadn’t. Every time I drive past a cyclist I long to get on my bike.”

Sounds like a few people on here! I can sympathise with the last paragraph - Got 4 weddings to attend so far this summer, all of which will take up a whole weekend. I'm furious about losing a month's worth of weekend riding, especially as I detest weddings - the perfect storm of religion/ceremony, small talk and cheap booze. Yawn.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    You mean you won't be able to take the bike with you for a sneaky 10 miler after the ceremony and before the recep gets under way? Lack of organisational skills mate :wink:

Swop cycling for running and that's me, although my knees are complaining these days so cycling could be the replacement drug of choice :)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    And he hadn't even been introduced to SC Stats...
  • One semi-serious issue for me is that I use exercise as my stress buster.

Running my own business means that pressure and stress have an inevitable habit of building up and my "release valve" was running and is now cycling.

My problem is that I enjoy exercise so much that it has become my only release valve and it's that fact that causes issues as I rely on it exclusively. If I'm injured and can't either run or ride then I find it difficult to satisfactorily get shot of the stress and as a consequence even I don't think I'm fun to be around :)

So maybe there is a real chemical reaction in terms of reduced dopamine levels or a perceived psychological condition resulting from the inability to exorcise the stress.

Interesting article though .....
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I could do with a bit of this addicted to exercise thing, if anything I'm addicted to my sofa :(
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Aidy wrote:
    And he hadn't even been introduced to SC Stats...

haha good job too!!

I think there are quite a few of us like that one here :oops: :oops:

I have a few stag weekends to go too as well, each which have a no cycling theme a whole weekend with no bike, what will i do!!

......and don't get me started on holidays :lol:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Classic.

+1 for it being a stress-buster. It's also "me" time, which everyone should have.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    For me it's both a stress buster and a mood-enhancer as it both takes me down and brings me up if you know what I mean.

I can quite believe that it is tied in with dopamine levels in the brain.

An old friend from Uni has been plagued with eating disorders all her life and is also addicted to going to the gym. Must be really hard trying to keep all of those pyschological problems under control.
  • gert_lush
    My problem is that I enjoy exercise so much that it has become my only release valve and it's that fact that causes issues as I rely on it exclusively. If I'm injured and can't either run or ride then I find it difficult to satisfactorily get shot of the stress and as a consequence even I don't think I'm fun to be around :) .

If I am injured I am an incredible pain in the arse to be around, moan moan moan. Its true though, you do start to feel unfit even though the rest is probably doing you a world of good, your mind convinces you otherwise.
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    gert_lush wrote:

Eh? You need to work on your holiday plans a bit better. :D
    Just sorted this years summer holiday. Down to the Ventoux (if feeling very brave/stupid may try the Cingles thing) and then back up to the Alps in the Les Gets/Morzine area, so will have to try the Col de Joux Plane etc.

Addicted? Moi?
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • cjcp
    risi wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:

Just sorted this years summer holiday. Down to the Ventoux (if feeling very brave/stupid may try the Cingles thing) and then back up to the Alps in the Les Gets/Morzine area, so will have to try the Col de Joux Plane etc.

Addicted? Moi?

Les Cingles? Good man. I have an article on that from C+ if you want me to email it to you.

When are going to Morzine?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    mmmmmmm, two years before dependance kicks in, I'm just coming up to that benchmark after two years of commuting, does that mean I'm in the danger zone??????

One marriage, 5 bikes and second place in the stats makes me think it's been slightly quicker in my case :shock:

I'm just off for a little lunchtime ride, what adicted...............me................never :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • gert_lush
    cjcp wrote:
    risi wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:

Addicted? Moi?

Les Cingles? Good man. I have an article on that from C+ if you want me to email it to you.

Hah yeah normally all my holidays have some activity in, cycling, surfing, snow boarding etc but have one this year in africa that will be pretty much no sports, but still be great :)

,,plus have a few other plans later in the year :roll:
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • risi
    cjcp wrote:
    risi wrote:
    gert_lush wrote:

Addicted? Moi?

That would be interesting to read, thanks. I'll PM you my email address.
    Not sure exactly when I'll be around Morzine, but its going to be late - after 22 August I would think.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • I'm furious about losing a month's worth of weekend riding, especially as I detest weddings - the perfect storm of religion/ceremony, small talk and cheap booze. Yawn.

You forgot bad dancing. Never forget bad dancing at a wedding.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I thought I might be getting addicted.

Decided to go cold turkey. Shakes haven't started yet......
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I am definitely addicted, but IP, I'm not sure how weddings mean no cycling? I'm going to one in the country and am quite chuffed to have the opportunity to ride somewhere new. Get there early on Saturday morning, ride, change at B&B, do the wedding thing, get up, ride, get train home.

Or am I missing something?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I am definitely addicted, but IP, I'm not sure how weddings mean no cycling? I'm going to one in the country and am quite chuffed to have the opportunity to ride somewhere new. Get there early on Saturday morning, ride, change at B&B, do the wedding thing, get up, ride, get train home.

Well 2 of them are in Turkey...

It's just the faff of lugging bike plus wedding attire on the train really. I don't own a car, If I did then I'd just pop the bike in it and be sorted.
  • cjcp
    risi wrote:
    Not sure exactly when I'll be around Morzine, but its going to be late - after 22 August I would think.

Are you planning to do the Colombiere? Do you think the Joux Plane *and* Colombiere is do-able in one day?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    cjcp wrote:
    risi wrote:

Are you planning to do the Colombiere? Do you think the Joux Plane *and* Colombiere is do-able in one day?

I did Les Contamines / Megeve / Col des Aravis / Col de la Colombiere / Sconzier / Megeve / Les C in a day and found that plenty. BUT if you're fitter than I and need another challenge in the same day, why not add on Col des Saisies in the same area - as they do in the Time Megeve Mont Blanc Sportive?
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I wouldn't say I'm addicted, just heavily dependant :lol:

If I have a couple of days off the bike I start feeling down in the dumps!

Got a new stem today which I keep inching from one side of the desk to the other, can't wait to fit it and fingers crossed I'll be in for a comfier ride.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • risi
    cjcp wrote:
    risi wrote:

Depends how long the day is!
    If I start looking at planning routes now I will get no work done until September. Must resist...

If I do the Cingles, getting out of bed might not be do-able in one day for a bit.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I would say im definitely addicted, and even more so thanks to the SC stats!

I have a very addictive personality and have previously had drinking and gambling addictions, so this is a pleasing one for me.

My problem is I get really down if planned rides are messed up due to other commitments or me lying in bed to long. I go to bed thinking where I am going to ride the following day, I constantly think about cycling, what routes I can take. If I cant get my rides in i get really narky!!
  • gert_lush

I agree it can be a great opportunity when it permits, last sept I had a wedding to go to in mid Devon so loaded up the tourer with tent/ sleeping bag/ stove and my tux strapped across the back and left Bristol on friday eve and got 40 miles in before camping and then 60 the next morning, arrived at the wedding venue, tent up in a back garden (there were others camping too, not too random) quick shower, wedding, loooaadds of food and beer :D drunk quite quickly, up at 8am sunday with a nice headache, pack away tent with a bacon sarnie and 100 miles back up to Bristol......one very fun but very tiring weekend. :D

..i'm certainly not addicted haha
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:
    I'm furious about losing a month's worth of weekend riding, especially as I detest weddings - the perfect storm of religion/ceremony, small talk and cheap booze. Yawn.

You forgot bad dancing. Never forget bad dancing at a wedding.

and horrific music to aid said dancing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    risi wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    risi wrote:

Depends how long the day is!
    If I start looking at planning routes now I will get no work done until September. Must resist...

If I do the Cingles, getting out of bed might not be do-able in one day for a bit.

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    I did Les Contamines / Megeve / Col des Aravis / Col de la Colombiere / Sconzier / Megeve / Les C in a day and found that plenty.

You don't say?! :)

BUT if you're fitter than I and need another challenge in the same day, why not add on Col des Saisies in the same area - as they do in the Time Megeve Mont Blanc Sportive?

Ta. Will look into that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Sunday 21st March, did a 36 mile ride. Got home had lunch, wife informed me she was starting to have contractions, expecting our second, out for a walk in the forest. Got back at 4pm ish, wife informs me contractions are getting stronger. 8pm head off to the hospital.

Everyone had advised us the second comes quicker so I am thinking as we drive to the hospital, should be done by midnight/1am, I'll be home by 2am. Great I could get up at 8, go for a ride before I can get on the ward at 11am for visiting.

Addicted?

btw it didn't happen how I thought. Baby was born at 9:30am 22nd and I didn't get home till 2pm.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Hmmm.....compared to previous addictions (female) I've suffered, cycling is far better for me. I am however currently suffering symptoms of Italian Carbon Withdrawal Syndrome, resulting in decreased performance and likely forthcoming damage to the bank balance.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I feel for the guy, I've been out for nearly 2 and a half weeks thank to preparing for a half marathon and subsequent knee injury (suspected Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome!).

Going from 10 hours cardio a week to nothing is horrible, I've got no outlet when I leave work except to get annoyed with the trains! :cry:

Even buying lots of stuff for my mountain bike isn't helping :lol: