Cut in tyre... when to replace?

Oddjob62
Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
PF hit me the other day. Patched the inner and removed a bit chunk of stone from the wound of the tyre.

Today i've been checking the tyre cut and wondering how big does a cut have to be for the tyre to be considered "an accident waiting to happen.

I think this should be fine. I put a layer of thick rubber on the inside to it should be ok. I'm sure i've had ones that big before and they've not caused any further problems.
IMG_0676.JPGAny opinions?
As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You could try putting superglue into the cut, too? This worked with Gatorskins.

I'd run it.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oddjob62
    cjcp wrote:
    You could try putting superglue into the cut, too? This worked with Gatorskins.

I'd run it.

Yeah i've not got any at home but got a tube at work so i'll do that tomorrow. thanks.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Pinch the tyre together first
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Superglue wont last long. I will just pump it and ride it - doubt you will puncture on the same spot again.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Vittoria tyres? the rubber you put underneath should protect it enough.
  • Oddjob62
    Cool cheers guys. Yes Gaz, Rubino Pros.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Not superglue, use something more flexible - Bostik contact adhesive or similar.
    I had a big (much bigger than that) cut in my front last summer. OK, it wasn't right through to the tube, but the glued repair is still holding (so far...)
    Misguided Idealist
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Make sure it's nowhere near the ground when your cranks are horizontal.

;)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    PF hit me the other day. Patched the inner and removed a bit chunk of stone from the wound of the tyre.

Today i've been checking the tyre cut and wondering how big does a cut have to be for the tyre to be considered "an accident waiting to happen.

I think this should be fine. I put a layer of thick rubber on the inside to it should be ok. I'm sure i've had ones that big before and they've not caused any further problems.
    IMG_0676.JPGAny opinions?

How old are the tyres? IME when the Pros start to cut up they are on their way out. I've just replaced my rear Rubino as it kept p*ncturing, had a hole as big as that yesterday so binned the tire last night. The tyre was getting badly cut up though and had lasted ages.
  • Oddjob62
    How old are the tyres? IME when the Pros start to cut up they are on their way out. I've just replaced my rear Rubino as it kept p*ncturing, had a hole as big as that yesterday so binned the tire last night. The tyre was getting badly cut up though and had lasted ages.

Less than a month old. But after ANOTHER deflation in the same tyre today (taking it to 3 on that month old tyre) I think I'm going ot have to ditch the pros until the weather improves. Gonna try some Conti 4 seasons.

When the summer arrives properly i'll try them again, maybe try those Panaracer Flataway Tyre Liners as well.