Mobile Phone Cycle Computer

catflea
catflea Posts: 21
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
I have a mobile phone which runs Android. Just wondering if anyone has found any decent cycle computer apps on there? :D

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There are a few. Tend to have different strengths / weaknesses. Sports Track you can't upload information unless you get paid upgrade. My Tracks seems a bit heavy on the battery but has the most data. I'm using Endomondo at the moment, it uploads your routes automatically when you finish a ride, down side is it doesn't have that much data e.g. altitude etc.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    MatHammond wrote:
    I'm using Endomondo at the moment, it uploads your routes automatically when you finish a ride, down side is it doesn't have that much data e.g. altitude etc.

Im using Endomondo and it does display the altitude, it may not show the total altitude climbed but it does show an altitude graph for your route along with a graph of our speed thoughout your route.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I use Cardiotrainer a bit. I quite like it.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    +1 for My Tracks. Lots of stats and uploads to google docs so you can see how your times have improved etc. Maybe heavy on the battery, not sure how that compares to sinilar apps, I just assumed having the GPS on was the major drain. I just charge my phone once I get to work so I'm not bothered.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Any for Symbian phones?

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have cyclemeter on my iphone and it's great so far
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Avoneer wrote:
    Any for Symbian phones?

Nokia Sportstracker . Comes with many Nokia 'phones, though it's now spun off from Nokia. You don't say which model you have but it appears to support just about any recent Nokia that runs Symbian/S60.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Avoneer
    Avoneer Posts: 525
    Cheers (Nokia 5800 BTW).

Sorry for the hijack.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • MyTracks is the best app available by a long way.

A good tip is to start it off then put your phone into aircraft mode it helps loads with the battery life if you need it to.
    I used to use it before I got my 705. From being fully charged I could do a 50- 60 mile route and still have over 3/4 battery life left when I got home - without putting the phone into aircraft mode.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • txom
    txom Posts: 31
    not sure I trust the altitude on my tracks, it told me my office is higher than my house on my commute in, and my house is higher than my office on the commute home.

Very easy to upload to google maps though, and I like the way the app works on the phone.
  • teulk
    I have a N 5800 and i use Endomondo which works very well. As regards to Nokia sportstracker it doesnt appear to suport the nokia N5800 - unless of course someone knows otherwise
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    teulk wrote:
    I have a N 5800 and i use Endomondo which works very well. As regards to Nokia sportstracker it doesnt appear to suport the nokia N5800 - unless of course someone knows otherwise

Otherwise: http://symbianv5.com/nokia-sports-track ... 5-devices/ :P
  • teulk
    alfablue wrote:
    teulk wrote:

Otherwise: http://symbianv5.com/nokia-sports-track ... 5-devices/ :P

Thanks, i will give it a go. Does anyone know of a suitable device to attach a N5800 to a bike and a good waterproof case.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    A Boxit (small lid) would appear to be the most robust http://www.boxit.net/engine.php?cat=327
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    I had Velo computer about a year ago.
    It didn't work very well at all. Assume it#s much better now.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    +1 for Endomondo. Free, simple, does everything I need and doesn't use much battery.
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    i use CycleDroid

it's a lightweight app but gives me all the info i need - included graphs!

here's a pic of it in action http://triban5.theresnonamesleft.com/index.html (second pic down)

i turn the phone onto airplane mode to conserve battery use. the app only needs GPS to work, and GPS still functions when in airplane mode!