Cycle Tours

MRadd
MRadd Posts: 205
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hello,

Anyone out there run a cycle tour company? Looking for some advice. Getting slowly annoyed with the UK at the moment (work and weather wise) and looking for a complete change. I've been tempted by the idea of working for a cycle tour company. Now, I'm mainly a road cyclists but have also done my time as a mtber. I have good mechanicing skills and great knowledge of bikes. My draw back is lack of a fluency in any other language other than English! I speak very basic french and german, but would be willing to learn.

I've made this sound like a bit of a plee for a job haven't I? Didn't mean it to sound like that. All I'm hoping for is someone to hopfully point me in the right direction of a company or two, three... four.... that may be looking for staff for the summer season.

So, if anyone knows of anyone.. somewhere.. that is looking for a hard worker.. Please please... let me know!
: "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    There are a number of companies but they are often small budget operations that may require a high standard of riding from you as you are not just a mechanic you would be riding with clients. I know one firm v.well but the owner can draw on Cat 1/Elite level riders as his customers like to try and match up to that standard. Can you ride steadily at the front all day? Are you prepared to sit at the back with clients who may be suffering?

The hotels in Riccione use guides but once again you would have to list your riding level. Pay is not great and you are responsible for the client and the client comes first so it isn't all that glam.
    M.Rushton
  • The language part is the easiest - the cycling words in other languages you'll need will be very quick to learn if you've remembered the very basic grammar you learned at school. It is a very specific vocabulary, and as such it's quickly learned.

I'm actually qualified as a French to English translator but I didn't know until yesterday that jante meant rim and that rouler sur les jantes (literally; riding on the rims) meant something like ''running on empty'' or ''walking on his upper,'' but the people on here who've cycled in France will already have picked that word up.