Northants CRA Handicaps

Bronzie
Bronzie Posts: 4,927
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
Anyone else on here doing them?

Video nasty of 2nd race of the series on Saturday is on YouTube (including me getting mugged at the finish :wink: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=lvrk1XSJrnU

Comments

• hi bronzie.

nice video of the race- sounded very windy.

i have been eyeing this race series up. i am an experienced rider, but haven't road-raced before.

how appropriate do you think one of these would be as a first race? would a newbie just get in the way?

cheers!
  • Bronzie
    Perfect introduction to racing on the open road in my opinion - most of the riders are 4th cats with a few 3rds, handful of 2nds and one Elite (in the 12 minute scratch group thankfully).

Started in small groups (usually less than 10 per group) based on past performance - obviously this requires people to be truthful with points gained etc, but at the end of the day, they are just training races really. If your group works well together, you stand a chance, otherwise the fast boys will catch you and you'd better hang on for the finish.

4 more events left in the series, but most people have entered the whole set, so entry on the line is dependent on those pre-entered not showing up. That said, I think there's usually a handful of spaces each week.

More details on the NCRA website:
    http://cyclingtimetrials.janet0102.co.u ... fault.aspx

Maybe see you there?
  • thanks for the info bronzie.

i hadn't realised you needed to be pre-registered. oops!

like you say, it sounds ideal for new racers. i will email the organiser and see what the chances are of getting a ride by just showing up.

so hopefully will see you there.

cheers!
  • Bronzie
    Only 60 rider limit so it tends to get filled up well in advance of the series closing date, but like I say, it would be unusual for there to be no spaces at all on the day.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    12 minutes for the scratch group of one elite and a few scratch hardly seems very fair on them, I guess it's a good way to make sure you get lots of 4th cats turning up!

So a top 10 for you Bronzie and I heard from clubmate that you were one of the few doing the work, so good riding? (unless you were mis-identified and you were really being lazy in which case you deserved to lose the sprint!)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Bronzie
    jibberjim wrote:
    12 minutes for the scratch group of one elite and a few scratch hardly seems very fair on them, I guess it's a good way to make sure you get lots of 4th cats turning up!
    Well, Mr Deinhart (the elite) won last week, so he can't be too hard done by. :wink:
    jibberjim wrote:
    So a top 10 for you Bronzie and I heard from clubmate that you were one of the few doing the work, so good riding?
    Depends on definition of "good riding" - rode myself into the ground, so good training, shite tactics.

But hey, my 1st licence points in 20 years (on and off) of trying so can't be too grumpy. Could have had 2nd or at least 3rd if I'd played my hand better though.
  • They are good races for everybody - for better riders they are good training races and for the lesser riders they are a chance for them to get experience without getting blown out in the first few miles.

They always fill up as they are very popular with different circuits used each week for 6 weeks. There is another series in the summer on Tuesday and Thursday evenings which do not fill up so quickly.

Although I have heard a few riders moaning about the handicapping this year so far but you are never going to make everyone happy as there can only be one winner in each race. Looks like Brett thought he had won when he won the bunchg sprint for tenth - silly boy!
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742

Although I have heard a few riders moaning about the handicapping this year so far but you are never going to make everyone happy as there can only be one winner in each race.

They moan every year and I should know since I did the handicapping for about 5 years. It seems that this year the first race was won by an elite from the scratch group and then by a long marker the second week.

I know that if the scratch don't think they can get to the front then they soft pedal.

Some riders regard the series as the 'World Championships'. :shock:

If they are now awarding licence points for these races then it's a load of old bollocks in my book. :evil:
  • They ARE the World Championships :D

Shame there is no leaders jersey this year, or is there?

I know Rod Freeman provided one a few years ago, but you can't beat thse big woolly yellow jerseys that used to come down to your knees that Geore Halls used to donate. Still they kept you warm in March!
  • Lillywhite
    They ARE the World Championships :D

Joking aside that's what they are are know as locally and even by Mick Ward, the NCRA Chairman, who also has done the handicapping.

Who's doing the handicapping this year - Mr. Summerlin?
  • Yep its Rowly.

And he is the one who used to be the most vociferous when he was handicapped by Mick.

The only problem with Mick's handicapping was that he had far too good a memory. But he always used to manage to get it pretty much right.
  • Lillywhite
    Yep its Rowly.

And he is the one who used to be the most vociferous when he was handicapped by Mick.

The only problem with Mick's handicapping was that he had far too good a memory. But he always used to manage to get it pretty much right.

Rowland should know and won't be conned since he used to manage Invicta RC competing in the national series and had riders of the ilk of Roger Hammond and Simon Bray in the team.

You will never please everyone and riders should accept the fact that these are glorified training events. :wink:
  • Bronzie
    Lillywhite wrote:
    It seems that this year the first race was won by an elite from the scratch group
    The main reason the scratch group caught our group with a lap to go was that there were more missed turns than a dodgy satnav - if everyone had been riding together we'd have stayed away a bit longer at least.
    Lillywhite wrote:
    and then by a long marker the second week.
    Tom Sexton is a strong rider but is new to road racing this year I believe and hence he was a 4th cat and seeded accordingly - he still rode a bloody good race though to win last week (and I'm not just saying that to feel better about coming 6th - he took 40 secs out of our group when he jumped away alone in the last 3 miles). He's in the group 3 mins ahead of scratch this week, so should be with riders of similar ability.

Not sure how else you could do the handicapping other than try it week 1 and adjust as necessary - it's not like you've got access to everyone's power-to-weight ratio - you can only do it based on past performances and hence a strong but unknown rider can well ride to a win.
  • Lillywhite
    Bronzie wrote:

Not sure how else you could do the handicapping other than try it week 1 and adjust as necessary - it's not like you've got access to everyone's power-to-weight ratio - you can only do it based on past performances and hence a strong but unknown rider can well ride to a win.

Handicapping is not a science but an art and a strong newcomer like this Sexton chap, who I don't know, is always likely to win in his first race but the next week he gets moved back. Every week is different, new course and terrain and varying weather conditions and sometimes this affects the outcome as much as the riders ability.

When it's very windy then often the scratch group can't get on.
  • Went out to watch today - handicapping seemed to be pretty good really, all came together on the last lap, with the first group only getting caught with half a lap to go. Then it ended up splitting on the hill.

Its harder getting the handicapping right when its a different circuit each week.

Some of the front groups could do with a lesson in riding together, it wasnt until about the 4th or 5th group on the road until they actually looked like they knew what to do.
  • Bronzie
    Another win for Raphael Deinhart - a 15 min head start to make up obviously didn't put him off. Tough little circuit.
  • Bronzie
    A win for the early starters this week - Martin Hamilton taking the honours in only his 3rd race. Too much messing about again in our group to mount an effective chase.
  • Rapha
    Rapha Posts: 86
    Bronzie wrote:
    A win for the early starters this week - Martin Hamilton taking the honours in only his 3rd race. Too much messing about again in our group to mount an effective chase.

Yes I think 12.5minutes on a flat circuit with 2 riders in the scratch group is a big ask - did the 30miles in 1h 4minutes but that wasn't good enough. Good workout though
  • Bronzie
    Rapha wrote:
    Yes I think 12.5minutes on a flat circuit with 2 riders in the scratch group is a big ask - did the 30miles in 1h 4minutes but that wasn't good enough. Good workout though
    No wonder Mr Deinhart didn't blast straight through us when the fast group caught on - he must have been knackered having chased with only 1 other rider for company.

Video of race no. 4 highlights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89tRCpDkPNk
  • Well at least next weeks circuit isn't so flat and the finish up the hill makes it easier for judging too - thankfully as the judges do not have youth on their side. :D
  • So what did you think of the race today Bronzie? Comments on the circuit, the organisation etc would be much appreciated.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I thought it was a good circuit six miles five times with tough final climb at the end of each lap.

It was my first race of the year. Not sure how the race panned out, I was in the 6.5 min group, took us a couple of laps to catch the group in front of us and a one or two more till we'd caught all the groups in front, a few people had gone off the front but they were swept up in the final lap (I think a lone rider from an early group my have stayed away and won it! good on him) We got caught by the group chasing us with half a lap to go and it end with a bunch sprint up the hill.

Well organised and marshalled!!!
  • Bronzie
    So what did you think of the race today Bronzie? Comments on the circuit, the organisation etc would be much appreciated.
    Was in Flanders this weekend - back for the last one next week.
  • Bronzie
    Final race of the series today - no idea who won as I was so far off the pace :oops:

Excellent series and I hope to do some of the summer handicaps - probably the most enjoyable racing I'll do all year. Massive thanks to everyone who made it possible.
  • I think I will be entering these too.

Just hope I don't get stitched up by the handicapper as I haven't raced for a while! :roll:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie wrote:
    no idea who won
    Junior Sam Brogan in the +9 minute group (but he outsprinted some pretty good 3rd cats for that)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZojzAeS-P8
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    Well done Sam Brogan, our group was caught in the final mile or so by one of the chase groups and it all got pretty mad. Need to find some sprinting legs as I fell out of the top 10 on the line I think. Look forward to doing some of the summer series.

Only did the last two races, both were really well organised and marshalled. Racing was good fun and really enjoyed it.