Cycle computers - Do you use one on your MTB?

KernowCB
KernowCB Posts: 174
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Well?
Whyte 905

Comments

• tptvmbircn
    tptvmbircn Posts: 782
    i've got two... humm, well i'm using the garmin edge 205 now but also i have a cateye strada wireless which seems to now have taken a back seat as the garmin is so precise and bleeps and stuff haha so a big fat yes from me!
  • Yup.

Do the same routes a loct and like to see how I'm going up various hills etc (although that's very wind dependent where I live!)
  • Garmin gps 60csx when on my own

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    haha i use the garmin on the mtb as its to heavy/hard to read for the road bike's
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    i've got two... humm, well i'm using the garmin edge 205 now but also i have a cateye strada wireless which seems to now have taken a back seat as the garmin is so precise and bleeps and stuff haha so a big fat yes from me!

Ditto...except replace the 205 with an Oregon.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • I used to, but after I lost my last one I never bothered replacing it.

Keep meaning to get another one, but it's not exactly top of my list of things to do.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Knog nerd is perfect. All the info and very robust.
    I can exchange it between my MTB and road bike in seconds with no cable ties..
    If you need more info, your into heart monitors ect..
    Then your really serious and may need some serious cash to get accurate results.
    I'm not a pro so only need basic info.
  • tptvmbircn

Ditto...except replace the 205 with an Oregon.

Oh yes in time, just got the 205 recently but the oregon is very nice :D
  • KernowCB
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 2725/#more What do you guys think fo this one then? Don't really need GPS or HR so it seems to fit the bill. Any other suggestions?

oe http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Polar ... 360027225/ with HR
    Whyte 905
  • tptvmbircn
    I would say the cateye, not used polar stuff though, but, would'nt a lower spec CPU fit the bill? if you're not after the HR etc save a few pennies?
  • KernowCB
    I would say the cateye, not used polar stuff though, but, would'nt a lower spec CPU fit the bill? if you're not after the HR etc save a few pennies?

Sure, suggestions welcome! I have no bias towards any so if you can recommend anything. All i want is something small that i can mount on the stem and that is wireless.
    Whyte 905
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Too heavy and mess the aerodynamics up.
  • KernowCB
    supersonic wrote:
    Too heavy and mess the aerodynamics up.

just a hint of sarcasm? ;)
    Whyte 905
  • KernowCB

Great shout, cheers buddy. Ordered :)
    Whyte 905
  • maloo
    maloo Posts: 214
    yep use a garmin dakota :)
  • tptvmbircn
    KernowCB wrote:

Great shout, cheers buddy. Ordered :)

glad to help mate :)
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I u I like to know how many miles I've use a budget wireless Cateye speedo at the minute. I like to know how many miles I've done, but for some reason I'm thinking of ditching it- guess its because I don't really need it TBH.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    al2098 wrote:
    Then your really serious and may need some serious cash to get accurate results.

Surely it's a pain to keep changing the wheel/tyre size? It would be on my Cateye. I think I'd have to zero it and input the total miles as well.
  • Nicht!

I've got one on my road bike, and I find myself getting obsessed with avg spd and times. My MTB is for pure enjoyment, don't wanna spoil that.
    The brave might not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Garmin 705, swap it between bikes. keeps a tally of all my biking although the real reason I bought it (mapping, following pre laid out routes) it's fallen short functionally. Currently there seems to be nothing much better with local (Benelux) map coverage and I have the Garmin topo maps for the area so awaiting a better unit from Garmin
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • ed_arnold
    ed_arnold Posts: 65
    I use a cateye velo 5, and sometimes track things on my iPhone, but that stays firmly in my backpack, in a waterproof case until I get home to look at the route. The velo 5 survived a full washing cycle and tumbledry which I was impressed with.
  • i just bought a wireless one in lidles took a bit of messing about with to get it set up but its realy good for the money (£14.99) checked it with my gps and its spot on its also got temperature, heart rate monitor, altimeter, & just about everything else :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    wheezee wrote:
    al2098 wrote:

Surely it's a pain to keep changing the wheel/tyre size? It would be on my Cateye. I think I'd have to zero it and input the total miles as well.

My Cateye has got "Bike 1" and "Bike 2" settings. So you set bike 1 as the MTB, bike 2 as the road bike and switch to whichever one you need when you move it over.

I don't know if the Knog has this. Also, I've only got one bike so don't use it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • trekex977
    trekex977 Posts: 95
    This sits nice and neat on my stem

07092009157.jpg