Where are my brake pads going?

OrangePro
OrangePro Posts: 28
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Couple of weeks back I thought I'd simplify my commute bike by switching the magura julie discs for simple v's. The julie's worked well for quite a while but have proven to be a real bleeding pain, hence the switch to simply pulling a cable.
Anyway doing 50mls a week in all weathers but cannot believe the poor wear rate on the brake blocks/ cartridges! Shim Deore blocks, rear is only lasting 2 weeks!
Heard that koolstops blocks are far better.

Any advice welcome- surely blocks must last longer otherwise its back to the julie's.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I never got on well with a lot of Shimao Compounds.

Have a look at Kool Stop Eagle Claw 2. I got 4000 miles from a set!
  • OrangePro
    OrangePro Posts: 28
    supersonic,

Thanks- i'll go and check them out.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I did all last years commuting from Nov 2008 to Jan 2010 on one set of Eagle Claws, must be 5000 miles+ and they are still ok

By contrast on the new bike I had standard, new shimano lx blocks. They lasted 2 months before they were so worn out that the steel pegs were touching the rim...this is the same sort of riding, same route, same fool on the bike
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    vorsprung wrote:
    They lasted 2 months before they were so worn out that the steel pegs were touching the rim...this is the same sort of riding, same route, same fool on the bike
    You were lucky to get 2 months :shock: . I've gone through a set of shimano V brake pads in 3 (very muddy) weeks. They are also harsh on rims as they seem to excel at picking up fragments of metal off the rim.
    +1 for the Kool Stops, much harder wearing and without taking it out of the rim either.

Mike
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'll have to have a look at them, as my current set are on their way out after 2 months.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    If you're wearing your rear breaks faster than the front you may want to think about your braking technique. I definitiely use my front more after reading this article from the late great Sheldon Brown.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

I also replaced my V-brakes with Magura rim brakes. You get better braking, the pads last longer and you don't have to worry about changing cables.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Anyone got any suggestions for cantilever post type, as the Kool Eagele would not work with this setup.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Kurako wrote:
    If you're wearing your rear breaks faster than the front you may want to think about your braking technique. I definitiely use my front more after reading this article from the late great Sheldon Brown.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

I also replaced my V-brakes with Magura rim brakes. You get better braking, the pads last longer and you don't have to worry about changing cables.

This is an interesting one. Whilst I initially used my right hand/front wheel setup, I found it interfered with my slowing down (and poor hand signalling) so I started using my left hand/rear wheel to slow down, adding the right hand/front wheel for a complete stop. This meant I could do rapid gear changes/signal and both hands were (almost) equally employed.

I guess I'll have to retrain myself then?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is this any help?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_ ... 300003397/

They say 'inserts' but seem to describe a post or threaded brake block! Certainly pictured that way.

Maybe email them.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    supersonic wrote:
    Is this any help?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_ ... 300003397/

They say 'inserts' but seem to describe a post or threaded brake block! Certainly pictured that way.

Maybe email them.

I can confirm that these are indeed canti pads, not just inserts.
    Fitted a set to my commuter at the weekend.
    Misguided Idealist