How am I gonna manage this ?

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
I think I need help.

I've entered this http://www.oetztaler-radmarathon.com/ due to a mid-life crisis (40 this year) and because my mate lives near to it.

I cycle a bit over winter which seems to be almost over and do roughly 3 spin classes a week.
In the last month I've been doing a spin class or 1hour on a spin bike almost daily and dropped 1/2 stone to 13st 2lb (I'm 5ft 8").

My normal Summer cycling week is as follows:
I commute 18 miles each way approximately 3 days a week.
Wednesday I have time for a 2hr ride and some eveings wife and kids permitting.
Weekends I can get out for 50miles each day although the wife knows I am going to have to do bigger rides at least 1 day a weekend as the summer draws on.

I am on the Dragon Ride Gran Fondo June 6th and doing London to Brighton and back again a few weeks after.
I have a family holiday in Majorca for 12 days at the end of June and again at the start of August and ride most days when there.

I'm trying to get to 12 stone for the first time in at least 15 years which will help no end but other than that and riding a lot I don't have much idea about what I should be doing.

How much more do you think I should be doing ?
Is there a set number of miles I should be doing each week ?
Would there be much benefit in getting an on-line coach draw up a 3 month plan ? (Seen a few for about £100 to £175)
Or am I reading comics thinking I can manage this ?

Oh and my bikes gone back to Focus for a few weeks due to a warranty issue !

Thanks
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    This may help Got me round Paris Roubaix two years ago. Good luck, believe and you'll do it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    My tip if you can afford it is get a coach - preferably recommended by word of mouth who knows about races/sportives like this one. 240 km over that kind of terrian in one day will be very tough.
    You'll need staying power - mental and physical - good climbing and descending skills and a real desire to succeed. Y
    ou probably have plenty of time to prepare tho' , a good commute to build on and have started dropping weight. Without knowing you - and assuming you are in good health for your age otherwise - you have every chance of both succeeding and perhaps even doing well! Good luck!
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Thanks

I think I'm just dead excited about doing it, reckon I'll be ok.
    Just want to complete it and enjoy it really.

If we are there a day or two before hand would you advise driving the course ? or am I better off not knowing quite what awaits me ? !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    good luck them climbs look tough
    going downhill slowly