Police car hits Islington cyclist

dvdfoz
dvdfoz Posts: 62
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this has already been flagged up,
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... hooting.do

Though later reports say cyclist is stable, hopefully will make a full recovery
http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/20 ... hurch-road

But that particular roundabout is on my route home, and is a pain. The cycle lane is out of the road on the left

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 99.62,,0,5

I normally just wait until there is nothing around before attempting to turn right, any advice on how to tackle this ?
Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    My first views on this are the bike doesn't look too bad when compared to the witness statements..

Best wishes to the cyclist involved.

On to your roundabout, be assertive, take control of the lane, indicate clearly and don't let car drivers bully you.
  • bikermaze
    bikermaze Posts: 23
    edited April 2010
    Like what the poster above me said, stick to your lane and follow road rules too. And watch out for those cars. Whatever happens, if you're on the right side of the law, you should be fine regardless.
  • dvdfoz wrote:
    But that particular roundabout is on my route home, and is a pain. The cycle lane is out of the road on the left
    Do you mean through the bollards? Is it even a shared route that one could legitimately cycle across? I can't see any markings to show that it is a route. The Google streetview from the other side shows the cycle route signs, but I can't see any indication of whether or not the bollarded area is a shared use facility (admittedly, the streetview isn't brilliant). Yes, there is a dropped kerb, but that doesn't necessarily make it permissible. If it is a through route, then the road planners have committed a huge fail with the lack of signage for bikes and to warn traffic on the other roads approaching the roundabout!

If it is supposed to be cycled through then I don't think that there is much that you can do differently. There are no road markings at the edge of the mini roundabout to indicate that traffic will be coming from the bollarded area (not sure I would trust traffic approaching a mini roundabout anyhow), so, yes, I suppose you have to wait for it to be completely clear and pray - or walk the zebra?
  • A closer look seems to show a blue cycle sign next to the post box here. Because of the parked car in the photo, it isn't clear what the sign is supposed to be saying about permitting cycling. But I assume it means that the route through the bollards is permissable.

In which case, the local authority need to do something about the approach to the mini roundabout - there is no recognised access onto the mini roundabout from the bollards - just double yellows across the edge of the 'pavement'! As I said before, my instinct would be to go with how you approach it now - wait for the all clear in all directions (and pray) or walk the zebra.
  • Final words (I hope) on this.

There are not even warning signs for traffic approaching the junction that cyclists can merge (red triangle signs) :shock:

The only other alternative I can think of (edit: that I would not do), if you are cycling Northchurch Road, is to proceed to the edge of the traffic island (you would give way to the right anyhow) and wait to be sure that traffic approaching from the left is giving way. At least there is a slight hump on the approach to the junction.

Someone (local CTC or LCC?) should raise the lack of proper street markings around that junction with the local authority. Both the entrance to the mini roundabout and warning signs on the approach.
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    dvdfoz wrote:
    Do you mean through the bollards?

Yes, through the bollards, it is a shared route, which is why its a pain. Going straight across or turning right is not expected by the traffic, and, you're right, I do not have much faith in traffic giving way, hence the wait for a reasonable break.
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    bikermaze wrote:
    Like what the poster above me said, stick to your lane and follow road rules too. And watch out for those cars. Whatever happens, if you're on the right side of the law, you should be fine regardless.

That is a very, very dangerous assumption
  • SN I confirm that it is part of a signed cycle route. I used to use it every day and it wa always a nightmare. Quite a few very quick drivers along that road as well.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • That junction looks like a nightmare.

Best wishes to the cyclist for a full recovery.

I must admit when I hear a siren while cycling, I do my best to get off the road, stand on the pavement holding my bike until the car/ambulance has passed. That assumes I hear it sufficiently early. The reason for this is that many drivers are spooked by hearing a siren and it's not easy to predict where they will move to clear the way (e.g. towards the curb without looking). I only mention this because I think cyclists are quite vulnerable when emergency vehicles are passing.