Stif in Leeds is moving - loss of my only LBS :(

2»

Comments

• ^ i think their warehouse was already located where they are moving to, so it seemed like a natural move.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    shame to loose them they did have a great slection of stuff and i used them alot for when i was getting kit that i had to try on first.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Interesting to find out some of you guys ride down Ilkley moor!

Take it you can't park in the cow and calf unless you go for a pint after? :wink:
  • why would you ever dream of riding ilkley moor and NOT having a pint at the cow and calf afterwards!!!! :wink:

In saying that, we often catch the train and then have a good bevvy session after riding.

The Cow and Calf does cracking food as well. Perfect after some winter riding. :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    scale20 wrote:
    The only downside for me was the lack of parking but I suppose you locals know all the cheeky parking spots :wink:

There are no cheeky parking spaces near the shop!!! Seriously! That was a major problem for them, especially when you are carrying in/out a lot of kit.

Never had a problem Parking when i visited.

May be a bit construction site like on some recent visits (recent for me once a year).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Might have to try it out.

Stainburn seems to be the only place near me that is rideable with all the rain. Though the push back up from the Descent line leaves me well knackered!
  • bells0 wrote:
    Might have to try it out.

Stainburn seems to be the only place near me that is rideable with all the rain. Though the push back up from the Descent line leaves me well knackered!

there's a couple of decent routes, although nothing too challenging or long. But it's great because of the easy road to push up and the fact that its got a cracking pub at the top :lol:

I would take a hardtail or a trail bike, leave anything bigger at home. The trails are actually really smooth, it's the features (ie MASSIVE slabs of rock sticking out!) that makes it interesting.

It's not in the same league as the Descent line, it's just a walkers trail that happens to be a nice downhill gradient with lots of technical features on it.

You can leave your car at the cafe car park at the entrance to the paths up on to the moor itself (about 50 yards down the hill from the cow and calf).

Just watch out for walkers/joggers, there can be quite a few at times, however visibility is excellent and you can see most of the trails in their entirety before you set off, so you will know if your are likely to run into a group of walkers.
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    -Liam- wrote:
    bike shops are overrated. Bit of effort and a little knowledge and do it yourself. Save a packet.

And aside from all that, you never get that amazing smell that only your LBS produces, GT85 mixed with brand new products and coffee! And some good banter and advice thrown in to boot.
    If something needs doing on my bike I don't want to be spending my only day off in 3 weeks mucking around in beautiful sunshine trying to true my wheels when I could pay someone more skilled to do it for me for a mere £20, then I can use my whole day for riding!
    Cheap online retailers have their uses, but if they are the death of decent LBSs then the UK bike scene will suffer greatly as a result.

YH i agree with this, i used to live in York and it has good number of bike shops, couple are good and i know people in there and good to have a chat with the staff while your bikes get looked at etc. I too do buy parts online as to save money but at what cost when its so nice to have a decent LBS for chats service etc. I do do most work myself as have the tools and do have the time and live tinkering with me bikes etc but for some of the things i cant do as dont have the tools. I am too thinking about supporting LBS again when ive moeveed as im not living in York at mo and hopefully be moving back soon :D

PS where is Stif moving too or did miss some thing :? i have bought stuff fromt them and soken to them on phone and they were good i thought
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Turrican wrote:
    PS where is Stif moving too or did miss some thing :? i have bought stuff fromt them and soken to them on phone and they were good i thought

Summerbridge (between Harrogate and Pateley Bridge), some excellent riding around there.
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    GHill wrote:
    Turrican wrote:

Summerbridge (between Harrogate and Pateley Bridge), some excellent riding around there.

Excuse my bad typo :oops: :) was rushing
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Have you been into Bikology in Hyde Park? He doesn't sell much - locks and second hand bikes - but great for maintenace and cheap.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • For those who miss Stif already........

Steve Peat is going to be opening their new store on Saturday. I might take a trip up.

http://www.stif.co.uk/
  • For the record - Stif are no longer on my shopping radar!

They have messed me around one to many times - Nearly every time I order something which is supposedly in stock, I later find out that it isn't. This time though, I don't even know why they haven't sent out my order.... they don't seem to want to tell me why/what the problem is, they just hung on to my money for a week! I filed a dispute with paypal and Stif returned my money - which is a shame because I actually wanted the goods! :shock: What's really got my goat though is the lack of communication - No apology, no explanation, nothing - do they not want to sell!

If this is the attitude of poor old LBS's who really need the business to compete with Wiggle CRC etc. then they have a long way to go.

Rant/nameshame over :roll:
  • I,ve been shopping at stif since about 1992,

At that time they were in a garage under a building if i remember,

Just purchased a load of components for my Bullit, which Stif fitted for £35 !
    I couldnt believe how cheap taht was considering the ammount of bits that arrived in the box from Chain Reaction :oops:
    Which i took through to them with CRC all over the box..........................

I purchased some HOPE brakes and goodridge hoses while i was there, I,m in Doncaster and have always used either Stif or Leisure Lakes in Notts,
    The only difference for me now is that i get to travel into North Yorks more with my bike which means more riding in Stainburn :lol:

I personally cant fault the service at Stif, most helpful,
    And refreshing to see such a bold move into what is clearly a MTB dream location with all those hills right on the doorstep !
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    dave_hill wrote:
    yoohoo999 wrote:
    Stif was the only place you could go to in Leeds that sold a full range of kit, sold by people with proper knowledge and a cracking workshop.

Have you tried All Terrain Cycles at Shipley? I know it's not exactly next door to Headingley but it's a bloody good shop and the staff are remarkably helpful. Which is nice.

technically they're in saltaire, right next to the mill. there's one in keighley - aire valley, there's two in skipton and two in harrogate. i used to work down the road from stif. overpriced, always. if they had decent pricing then they'd probably sell more imho.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Not going to miss stiff one little bit, hopefully when they move they will get new staff.

JD cycles in Ilkley is spot on, Bike Outlet in York, Chevin are better than average.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?