P3280681.jpg
P3280682.jpg
P3280686.jpg
P3280684.jpg
P3280683.jpg
P3280685.jpg
P3280687.jpg
P3280688.jpg

Next upgrade will be a set of brakes and wheels from Merlin Cycles.

Chain just got completely rusted after I went on a bike trip and had to leave my bike out in the rain overnight!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    EDIT: New pictures up!
    My next upgrade will be new wheels with new brakes
  • scottbowlby
    scottbowlby Posts: 143
    New pedals would be a good next upgrade too! :)
  • Anonymous
    New pedals would be a good next upgrade too! :)
    Thing is, I can't decide between clipless and flat!
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    you have 2 choices then either a combo pedal or the dh style platform with a clipless pedal in the middle
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)
  • Anonymous
    wavey1490 wrote:
    you have 2 choices then either a combo pedal or the dh style platform with a clipless pedal in the middle

I think im gonna be able to trial some clipless soon, friend might lend me some
  • jakeeeeeee
    jakeeeeeee Posts: 270
    im 13 and i have clipless pedals. they take a little while to get used to but after that u wont regret cuz they are brilliant :D
  • bufo802
    bufo802 Posts: 15
    Got the same bike and thinking about what to upgrade, mainly thinking about the brakes, forks and wheels/tyres atm. How much of an improvement did you find with the rebas over the standard dart 2 forks?
  • I have the 2008 model and bought the bike so I could get fit and back into mountain biking after a 15 year absence...

I've changed the brakes to Avid Juicy 3's - so much better than the Hayes that were fitted, Rock Shox Reba's off ebay, Mavic 317/717's rims & XT hubs (SLX would have been a more economical purchase), M540 clipless pedals, Panaracer tyres etc etc

My old brakes, forks and wheels went to a better home and upgraded a friends bike.

Overall I think it's a good bike, maybe a bit heavy, and yes the money I spent on upgrades could have bought me a better bike to begin with but the forks, brakes and pedals were the best investment that I can actually see the benefit from.

And what's even better is when you can still leave people behind on bikes that cost three times what yours cost......
    I no longer own a Kona so the name is somewhat misleading.
  • bufo802
    bufo802 Posts: 15
    I'm definitely going to change to caged spd pedals this summer (as long as I'm still doing plenty of cycling) and will mainly be doing longer not particularly technical adventure races (~3hr+ rides on bridleways/byways navigating to checkpoints).

As well as improving the ride and downhill speed (was getting jolted all over the place by dry mud) would changing the forks be the easiest way to lose weight as well?
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    If you try clipless, be aware of any pain you feel whilst riding. If your knees get a twinge, stop, as you may have not set the clips up properly.
    I use both clipless and flats, but I have to use a knee support when going long distances now after ignoring the bad knee I got when i first used them.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro