Tyre choice for Gorrick races

Covert Codger
Covert Codger Posts: 17
edited March 2010 in XC and Enduro
Apologies, I know this sounds like a real leg shavers thread, but I'm entering my first XC race next month at the Gorrick series and wanted to know what kind of tyres most guys run. Most of my normal riding is trail and AM, so I'm guessing those bad boys maybe a little OTT.

Your thoughts, sirs and ma'ams, would be greatly appreciated.

Covert Codger

Comments

• JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    As long as it is reasonably dry go for something fast rolling, you don't need loads of grip. I ride the area Gorrick use for their races all the time, and am currently using Maxxis Crossmarks, which work well. I have found tyres like Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs good too.

Even if it is really wet there is no need for mud tyres as the soil is very sandy, so doesn't turn into sticky mud.

If it is your first race don't worry too much about the tyres, just turn up and give it a go.

Which one have you entered, Porridge Pot or Tunnel Hill?
  • Tunnel Hill. 3 laps of pure pain in the Open. What could possibly go wrong????
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    I would go for something like a Nobby Nic on the front if this is your first race. Still pretty fast rolling but will give you more confidence on the roots.
  • Langers wrote:
    I would go for something like a Nobby Nic on the front if this is your first race. Still pretty fast rolling but will give you more confidence on the roots.

Thanks for the advice. It's always those damn roots that catch one out. Stay relaxed ... don't turn .... don't brake ....... ouch!! :oops: :D
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    just keep an eye on the weather before making your choice, or take a couple of sets with you for varying conditions, then you can make a choice after you do a practise lap ! I use a mixture of tyres for these events from semi slick to full on grippy tyre. Tyre of choice at the mo is a hutchinson python set

hope this helps
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)
  • Wavey

Good point. I was out last Sunday at Swinley and a full set of mud stompers were the order of the day. :D
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    i know 3 types of mud out there as far as i'm concerened, Think I may have a slight rubber fettish as have a shed with around 25 sets of tyres for different conditions and terrains....(all get used) :oops:

do they have TA meetings for people with my condition lol :lol:
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    Nothing Grips to roots... and I wouldn't worry too much about tyre choice, something you are use to and can read. You don't want to put on a new tyre without knowing how predicatable or unpredictable it isi.e. run it for a few rides.
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition