Clipless pedals

boydster76
boydster76 Posts: 136
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I am looking for a clipless pedal to use on my daily commute and have been recommended Crank Bros Candy pedals due to the low profile of the cleat and therefore the ease of walking with my cycling shoes on (as I have to take a train as part of the journey). I have been told that they are a better option than Shimano SPDs.

Does anyone have any opinions on these pedals or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Thats tosh.. Shimano SPD's will do exactly the same.
    Shimano SPD-SL on the other hand won't.

You need to make sure the shoes you buy recess your cleats in the sole. But i don't have any issues walking in SPD-SL's and know someone who commutes on the train with them.

No harder to walk in than a normal shoe imo.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1. I can walk around on my SPD-compatible shoes (dhb's from Wiggle).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    cjcp wrote:
    +1. I can walk around on my SPD-compatible shoes (dhb's from Wiggle).

yip on training days where I take the roadie so SPD shoes they are fine all day.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I can walk around OK in my MT51 shoes as well. Cleat is very well embeded in the sole.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Same with Time Atacs
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Same with Time Atacs

+1 for these ive been using them for a few years now and i love them.
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Gotta say I think the walking malarky is over blown, fine everyday on Time RXS + Shimano R160s!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    You'll be fine walking in any shoes designed for MTB pedals TIme ATACs SPD's or Crank Bros, they've all got their fans pick your fave. I have SPDs cuz they're cheapest 8)

By all accounts time road pedals are one of the better ones for walking in, I just cant afford to try them yet.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    prawny wrote:
    You'll be fine walking in any shoes designed for MTB pedals TIme ATACs SPD's or Crank Bros, they've all got their fans pick your fave. I have SPDs cuz they're cheapest 8)

By all accounts time road pedals are one of the better ones for walking in, I just cant afford to try them yet.

Not all SPD shoes have recesses deep enough to cover cleats entirely when walking - best to check
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    FWIW I walk about a couple of miles each day in my Shimano MT41 with no issues.

If anything they are harder wearing and more comfortable to wal in in than my Clarks. You just need to watch metal edged stairs as cleats on metal can be little slippy!

The only downsides are it makes a "crunching on broken bottles" sound on some surfaces, and the cleats get a little mashed up after a year do need replacing (usually along with the shoes as the hex bolts are more mashed than the cleats).

The MT41 is a goodish shoe, but isn't even slightly waterproof due to the mesh, and has no heel reflectors unlike its cheaper cousin the MT40! I used a scalpel knife on my old pair of MT40 to liberate my reflectors which have joined my MT41 with a little help from Araldite!

HTH - Rufus.
  • miffed
    miffed Posts: 469
    Most MTB specific shoes and pedals will be recessed enough to walk in. I have two pairs of MTB shoes (SIDIs and Northwave) and though not completely recessed, you can clear the clacking of the cleat on the ground sometimes, they are plenty good enough to walk resonably in,

SPDs are good cause loades of people have got them and spring tension is adjustable, making the cleats easy to get in and out of as a beginer.

Crank brothers allegedly are hardier cause of less things to go wrong and have supposidly better mud clearance. Thought Ive never had any problems with west of scotland mountain biking and SPDs.

Either will probably do the job fine, but egg beaters do look amazing,
    Puke washes out, Glory lasts forever
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Same again - I've had no problems with my Shimanos. One pair I've been using for coming on 12 years, with the bare minimum of maintenance. I can't comment on other makes, although the Crank Bros kit is by reputation well made, and they look mint.

I have had 2 pairs of Diadora shoes. These don't have good cleat clearance, so probably best avoided for you. Find Shimano's own footwear better though.
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    discurio wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Same with Time Atacs

+1 for these ive been using them for a few years now and i love them.

+1. Time ATACs are great.
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter