It's that time again.................

Cafewanda
Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
Deep cleaning the bike :(

Any of you lovely people wanna clean the chainset for me? Pretty please? 8)

I'll buy you an Easter egg or a hot cross bun........... :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Take it off, blast with the power hose! Brings up like new.

Or elbow grease and toothbrush.

Just put the toothbrush back under the sink. Though muc off does bring the teeth up very white...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    vat of coffee, plus radio/music etc and just zone out having a clean.

what I will be doing tomorrow as the bike is still caked from last weekend which is very bad of I.
  • supersonic
    Dishwasher works well too.
  • Cafewanda
    Supersonic you are very naughty, but not bad ideas. Unfortunately I don't have a dishwasher. Would the washing machine do?

Roger, as you'll be doing yours, what's one more? :wink:
  • B&Q sell a big 5l can of degreaser.
    It's concentrated, so prior to diluting it has the same consistency as custard.
    You can just apply it with a brush, leave for a 10 mins or so and just clean off.

Dilute it with some hot water in a bottle or jar and you can use it to clean you chain. Just drop it in, screw the lid on and shake like mad. Rinse off and bingo! Shiny clean.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I was going to do mine this week but I've just checked out the weather forecast, heavy rain (snow) and temps in single figures for the coming week so I'll wait till it warms up a bit more :roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Cafewanda
    Supertwisted, thanks for the info but you missing the point. I don't wanna clean it myself, I want someone else to do it :roll: :lol::lol:

I can't even use the weather as an excuse to put it off as I live in a flat and the bathroom is the designated 'deep cleaning' area. I might, possibly, delay it til after my bike fit on Thursday afternoon.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I live in a flat too. One of my neighbours chains their bike up to the bannister on the ground floor, so I just swap the chains and when he's cleaned it I swap them back.

Sorted.

:wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Cafewanda
    :shock: :shock: :lol::lol:

What a great idea. Unfortunately I appear to be the only person who cycles in my block, besides which the landlord takes a dim view of people storing personal items outside their homes.

I was strongly tempted to clean it earlier. Now decided to leave it til I return from my bike fit on Thursday afternoon (or evening if I get really lost on the way home).
  • supersonic
    In my lazier moments I have sprayed my bike with muc off and let the rain rinse it off...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    After this week's riding, and my fixie dirtying other people who were trying to fix my brakes, it's going in the bath next week for a good scrub.

Needless to say, it's not MY bath.
  • roger_merriman
    all nice a clean now, trying wax see if thats good.

bike is at the moment anoying the wife in the living room ;-)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Wanda - JUST CLEAN THE DAMN BIKE - please?? :wink:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I cant believe you are asking someone else to clean it for you. Get a bucket of warm watter, some degreaser and go for it! its really not that difficult. :D
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    +1 for the dish washer! Just lube it up soon after its finished.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    All this talk of bike cleaning has obviously angered the gods. Looking at the weather forecast ther're rain as far as the eye can see.

I, too, am guilty of scrubbing my chain and giving the bike a general rub down. Sorry for the inconvenience :cry:
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Clearly.
    Last week was first time I deep cleaned the commuter.
    Bingo, rain all the time.
    From now on it will be just degrease the chain/re-lube and to hell with appearances.
    On the commuter of course, my lovely roadie will get all the TLC it needs :D
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Cafewanda
    :cry::cry: Jay........ that hurt me deeply :cry::cry:

Gabriel .... :P

Holybinch - commuters need TLC too you know :)

I give in. I'll clean Babygurl tonight :roll:
  • holybinch
    Hey, I'm doing the minimum, degrease/degunk/relube, once a week.
    And it's more that his legit owner (my gf) has ever done on the bike in the year she's had it.

As well, I bought a chain checker, which tells me that the damn thing has a month at most before I need to change it.

• Cafewanda
    HB she doesn't need to do anything if you are on the case. Top man :lol:

So; as well as Muc off, and dry lube I need a chain checker too? :shock: This cycling lark is getting as expensive as my former monthly travelcard :roll:
  • holybinch
    Ordered the simplest Park tools chain checker. 5£ delivered.

• roger_merriman
    Cafewanda wrote:
    HB she doesn't need to do anything if you are on the case. Top man :lol:

So; as well as Muc off, and dry lube I need a chain checker too? :shock: This cycling lark is getting as expensive as my former monthly travelcard :roll:

unless your doing high milages the chain+ cassette should last a year at least. neither are that pricey.

I use a hack for commuting so probably under £50 a year. the chain etc is worn but still works etc.
  • Cafewanda
    Phew! I'll add the chain checker to my shopping list for July then :)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My chain and freewheel set are 20 years old, and yet to need replacing.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Agent57 wrote:

Absolutely, my main commute bike is 5yrs old, I put oil on the chain when it starts to go orange or gets noisy :)

That's all the your average commuter will ever need to do.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • roger_merriman
    AndyManc wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Absolutely, my main commute bike is 5yrs old, I put oil on the chain when it starts to go orange or gets noisy :)

That's all the your average commuter will ever need to do.

yup big green aka the hack gets some oil now and then, and thats about it, haven't pumped the tires up yet this year.....
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I might, possibly, delay it til after my bike fit on Thursday afternoon.

What what??? :?:
  • Cafewanda
    Decided to go for a bike fit so I have a better idea of what to look for/bear in mind when deciding on my next bike and also to ensure Babygirl is setup correctly for my diminutive (lack of) height.

Riding over to Ealing will be the scary bit but I will allow myself way too much time in case I get lost en route even with a map :roll: They have been warned :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Decided to go for a bike fit so I have a better idea of what to look for/bear in mind when deciding on my next bike and also to ensure Babygirl is setup correctly for my diminutive (lack of) height.

Riding over to Ealing will be the scary bit but I will allow myself way too much time in case I get lost en route even with a map :roll: They have been warned :)

Next bike ?? :wink:
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Cafewanda wrote:

You going to The Bike Whisperer?