Kind of a sizing question I guess

bigtruck
bigtruck Posts: 18
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Ive just got back on my 2007 Ridley Orion after a long time off bikes due to silly mountain bike injuries.

The Ridley will never be the most comfortable of bikes because its pretty damn stiff but the 2 occasions I have ridden it recently have lead to pain in the upper back/shoulder area and aches on the palms of my hands when I lean onto the hoods. Im thinking that the long reach of the racing frame is possibly something to do with this - a bit of an extra stretch and too much weight forward?

I dont have any kind of relationship with a LBS any more so dont really want to go in there and talk about it. All that will happen is that I will talked into buying a new bike which wouldnt be too hard at the moment!

Does anybody have any experience of this? I dont fancy shortening the stem because it may lead a bit of a twitchy front wheel.. Ive tried the saddle in different positions too and no joy.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Flip stem :shock: , or raise it?
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • bigtruck
    bigtruck Posts: 18
    Sorry, I should have said, stem is already flipped from before and theres a fair few spacers underneath anyway.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    First of all it is going to hurt after a long time off bikes.
    How long is your current stem ?
    There is no problem with fitting a shorter one (say 80 or 90mm) if yours is over 100mm as it will not upset the handling.
    Also try to keep the saddle fairly level so you don't throw too much weight forward on to your hands.
    It would help if you posted a good side on photo of your bike.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!