Evans Catalogue and Rain

WesternWay
WesternWay Posts: 564
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I got my Evans catalogue through the post this morning, and very nice it is too.

It does however say "It's been calculated that a London cycle commuter only has to deal with rain 12 times a year"

I think I fancy being THAT London commuter.

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Pimp my own thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12640419

I have started a thread to list rainy commutes. This is my latest (commuting in the Peak District)

March has been dry!
    Aug: 4 in 10 days
    Sept: 8 in 22 days
    Oct: 7 in 17 days
    Nov: 18 in 21 days
    December: 9 rain 3 snow in 16 days
    January: 7 snow 6 rain in 14 days (Days cycle commuting - I took the bus on three days because of the numpties in the snow)

Feb: 5 rain 1 sleet 5 snow in 18 days
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    WesternWay wrote:
    I got my Evans catalogue through the post this morning, and very nice it is too.

It does however say "It's been calculated that a London cycle commuter only has to deal with rain 12 times a year"

I think I fancy being THAT London commuter.

quite rare for me to get wet, my commute is under 30mins so even on a wet day mostly it's not raining when I ride. and the mud guards cope with the standing water.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    12 times a year seems to be a statistic that originates from the C2W scheme, probably as a way of not putting people off.

Might start keeping a log myself of the wet days, last week was mostly wet for a start.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Is it rain whilst cycling or wet roads from rain during the day?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Almost 3 months into 2010, and I've only got really wet twice so far. Once was on the way to work, and another time on the way home on a different day.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Okay I have only managed to get out on my bike three times so far due to it being 380 miles away and being a bit on the poorly side but managed to stay dry so far, in fact I overheated a bit at one point today
  • WesternWay
    Well I am a London commuter... I reckon that there were about nine trips where snow gave problems, and I have esaily made up the extra three in March.

Still April showers ahead :-) And a wet week looking at the forecast.

Wish me luck this week; I will be on SPDs for the first time.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    WesternWay wrote:
    Well I am a London commuter... I reckon that there were about nine trips where snow gave problems, and I have esaily made up the extra three in March.

Just run the pedals as loose as you can without accidentally unclipping till you are used to them, I need to ease off my right hand one come to think of it
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    WesternWay wrote:

I've also just made the transition from toeclips to SPD and find them easier to get out off when faced with a potential clipless situation. I still haven't quite got the knack of clipping in when making a start from traffic lights though, I kind of fumble for a couple of turns before getting my foot in, whereas the toeclips were in from the get set.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Pimp my own thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12640419

I have started a thread to list rainy commutes. This is my latest (commuting in the Peak District)

March has been dry!
    Aug: 4 in 10 days
    Sept: 8 in 22 days
    Oct: 7 in 17 days
    Nov: 18 in 21 days
    December: 9 rain 3 snow in 16 days
    January: 7 snow 6 rain in 14 days (Days cycle commuting - I took the bus on three days because of the numpties in the snow)

Feb: 5 rain 1 sleet 5 snow in 18 days

If you count the number of wet journeys out of all journeys made I would imagine your % of wetness would fall remarkably. It is very rare, for me at least, to get soaked on the way in and the way home. Its usually one or the other.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Definately more than 12, but is anyone that bothered about rain? I quite like cycling in the rain.

The only thing that bothers me is drying the lycra during work.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    definitely more than 12, but is anyone that bothered about rain? I quite like cycling in the rain.

Puttin on wet shoes is my issue. I can usually get everythin else dry in time but the shoes need overnight stuffed with paper at least.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Looking on the bright side it looks like I'll get my 12 days in over the next fortnight so the rest of the year will be nothing but sunny awesomeness. Or maybe this is confimation that I'm well above average 8)
  • WesternWay
    I'm with you Kurako.

Constant drizzle this morning.

On the plus side I didn't fall off on my first ride in with clipless pedals.

I don't think I had them adjusted quite right though; The ball of my foot wasn't quite above the pedal. I also found that my foot moved around laterally a lot more than with flatties. I guess that this is jst poor technique on my part.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Though April showers
    May come your way,
    They bring the flowers
    That bloom in May;
    So if it's raining,
    Have no regrets;
    Because, it isn't raining rain, you know,
    It's raining violets.

April showers; bring 'em on. \o/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The rain stats in their sales catalogue interspersed with words may be completely ficticious, but the featured bike is mine, all mine [except for mine being yellow]. Nice to see it written up in print. Clearly Evans bigged it up as they have to shift tthem, but it was a pretty accurate review. And the price is way out - they're available at a few quid less than shown in the book.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    prawny wrote:
    definitely more than 12, but is anyone that bothered about rain? I quite like cycling in the rain.

Puttin on wet shoes is my issue. I can usually get everythin else dry in time but the shoes need overnight stuffed with paper at least.

use nappies turned inside out for bad times.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    prawny wrote:

used nappies turned inside out for bad times.

fixed it