Mountain Biking in the Shirley/Solihull area

bell46
bell46 Posts: 12
edited March 2010 in MTB rides
Hi Im just getting back into the biking scene after a couple of years off and was wondering if anyone knew of any clubs or guys that meet up. I ve been riding around the Earlswood area but are on the look for new places, i live in Hollywood and dont mind travelling.

Comments

• missgroover
    missgroover Posts: 263
    We live Shirley/Hall Green border. Absolutely no mtb'ing in the area though, unless you count the canals....
    There is a thread on here for the Wyre Forest, take a look.
    You've also got Clent, Cannock, Malvern, Hopton Woods, Clee etc within an hour's drive. Plenty of options if you look a little further out :D
  • bell46
    Thanks for that I will take a look at the thread.

I decided to go down the canels on Sunday but all I acheievd was getting my new bike covered in thick balck mud, no fun what so ever!!

Im going to head out on saturday, maybe out towards Warwick see if I can find anything if you up for it.
  • missgroover
    Can't this Sat as other plans but let me know if you find anything of note!
    I have a hybrid that I use on the roads from time to time (currently having saddle crisis so it's in the shed until I find one that works for me) but am always up for company :)
  • bell46
    Its ok ive gota give this saturday a miss too, i forgot I had plans lol.

Ive just brought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp which I will be using to cycle to work (34 miles a day, which I think might kill me lol), but me and my mate from work were thinking of heading over to the Wyre Forest next weekend if your up for that. Give my new little toy and proper day out :lol:
  • missgroover
    34 miles a day is pretty good going! Do that for a few weeks and you'll soon reap the benefit. I can't ride to work as the logistics just don't work so I have to get out in the evenings and weekends.
    Off to the Wyre tonight to get covered in mud no doubt. New lights that need to be played with :)
  • bell46
    Well im hoping the benfits will out weigh the getting up early doors :?
    What lights have you brought then that need to be played with??? I think after some egg beaters thats the next thing I will be investing in.
    Do a group of you go to the Wyre??
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    I`m hoping to get over to the wyre on sunday , to give my new bike a blast .... havent been up there for 12 months + .... last time i rode there i took my single speed and loved it :D

Tony
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • missgroover
    Wyre was good last night, very muddy and slippery but all the better for honing skills. And my light was fab (bargain Topeak Moonshine HID off J E James - £200 quid off rrp, couldn't refuse).
    Ironically I've only recently started riding in the Midlands despite living here all my life and mountain biking for the last 5 years or so...until lately I didn't know any locals and so concentrated my efforts in the Peaks and north Wales mainly. Going to try and get out regularly mid week from now on as long as others are going to lead as I have no sense of direction even in the daytime - no chance at night!
  • bell46
    Glad to hear you had a top night then, good weather too lol!! I really need to invest in some lights now, never really done anything at night so could be interesting!!
    Never been to Wales but my sister lives by Afan so might have to go and stay with her for the weekend and go exploring!!
    Mid week sounds good, but lights are needed im feeling otherwise could get closer to nature than I like :shock:
  • dombra
    dombra Posts: 46
    We live Shirley/Hall Green border. Absolutely no mtb'ing in the area though, unless you count the canals....
    There is a thread on here for the Wyre Forest, take a look.
    You've also got Clent, Cannock, Malvern, Hopton Woods, Clee etc within an hour's drive. Plenty of options if you look a little further out :D

in brum you have the lickey hills, there is actually a lot of trails in the area. deffo not milecrunching xc stuff but a lot of short steep up/down type stuff. good for a few hours workout more than a full day.
    lots of very nice little trails off the main paths to test and improve your skills(and legs/lungs)
    just be sure to explore every opening in the bushes as they often open out into nice trails, a lot of my fav's used to the combine trails with alot of "off piste" saddle down through the pines type stuff.

sutton park also has some tracks and trails but not much in the way of elevation, okay for an explore if the ground not too wet.
  • sassysarah
    sassysarah Posts: 421
    I regularly ride Clent... if you know where to look there are some great trails...but it's a bit crap at the weekends...to many walkers ect...is it the same with the Lickey?
    Biking whore of Wyre....rides with anyone!
  • bell46
    the lickeys isnt too far from me but last time I went I found it far too wet to do anything!!
    Maybe leave it till it drys up a little bit!!
    Going the wyre this weekend?? you evver been??
  • sassysarah
    The Wyre's great...

took my baby steps there last year and now i'm addicted!..

lots of good trails although you may need a guide to find them and
    It's a bit wet at the moment to have any really fun!

if you post on the Wyre thread i'm sure you be able to get someone to show you around
  • Andywyre
    Andywyre Posts: 73
    Bell come have a look at the wyre thread, we is going out Thursday xc you'll need mud tyres.
  • bell46
    Andy you going during the day or evening???
  • sassysarah
    Thursday 10am from the Vistors Centre
  • bell46
    I work Monday to Friday 9-5:30 so I will have to give it a miss, do you meet over the weeknds at all??? I was thinking about going Saturday or Monday this weekend as it is bank holiday. :lol:
  • sassysarah
    They do a sunday ride but it's a bit hit and miss at the mo..it depends on the conditions in the Wyre

I don't think i'm doing the Wyre this weekend...got some big rides planned else where...not sure if anyone else is i'll ask around for you on Thursday