rides for mbr beginners

churchygti
churchygti Posts: 84
edited April 2010 in MTB rides
hello,
ive been riding my local forest for half a year and i have a spech hardrock09 but i want to learn more and ride hard course are there any orginized mbr rides (XC) that i can participate in. thanks.
The beast rocks (High lodge)

Hardrock 09 - Rockshox Dart 2

Comments

• popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    What area do you look to ride? The land is vast and not sure where are you based.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • popstar wrote:
    What area do you look to ride? The land is vast and not sure where are you based.

Thanks important info missed
    i live in wisbech which is in norfolk but i can travel to anywere really my local forest is thetford.

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'd recommend getting yourself down to Thetford forest and hitting the trails there. There's enough signposted trails from what I remember at D2D to keep you busy and although it's not super technical, the black bits are fun.
  • Atz wrote:
    I'd recommend getting yourself down to Thetford forest and hitting the trails there. There's enough signposted trails from what I remember at D2D to keep you busy and although it's not super technical, the black bits are fun.

yea i do this course weekly but its getting boaring, is there anythin else thanks.

• fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Get yourself down to the lbs, ask about trails and a club. Go get an OS map a highlighter pen and spread it open, start highlighting Bridalways, RUPPs and BOATs. Pack your lunch and go riding.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    fletch8928 wrote:
    Get yourself down to the lbs, ask about trails and a club. Go get an OS map a highlighter pen and spread it open, start highlighting Bridalways, RUPPs and BOATs. Pack your lunch and go riding.

You've not been to Norfolk then? :wink:
  • Im afraid there isnt much like that in norfolk thanks for the idears.

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    So you want some beginner routes but you're fedup of Thetford and want some hard routes?

Ok, well anyway, as you already know theres nothing in terms of hard around here for Norfolk, however the peak district is only 100mile away for you, couple hours drive you can easily go there and back in a day.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    I thought you were looking for new places to ride that were going to be fairly close to home.

I have not been riding in Norfolk. I have taken a quick look through memory map of the surrounding area (Wisbech) and with a bit of linking there could be some nice rides out.. I do mean could be as I really do not know the area. Its gotta be worth a look though?

I am one of those who plots and searches for new bits on my doorstep and if it means 15 miles off and 8 on road then so be it. Some of my most challenging terrain is on the flat, slightly up or down but "flat".
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • hello, thanks for your comments i have found a few trials which are exciting. i was manly asking are there any events around that i can take part in thanks

• Briggo
    Oh for events I have no idea, not much in the way off MTBing except the events in Thetford like D2D.
  • Hi churchygti,
    I live in Peterborough and am experiencing the same problem as you, most of my so called mountain biking is actually just off road biking. If I get a decent that lasts for more than 30 seconds I fall off through excitement. Mostly I just get out an OS map and explore. Just being out there getting lost and dirty is best I can get for now.
  • Redfred237 wrote:
    Hi churchygti,
    I live in Peterborough and am experiencing the same problem as you, most of my so called mountain biking is actually just off road biking. If I get a decent that lasts for more than 30 seconds I fall off through excitement. Mostly I just get out an OS map and explore. Just being out there getting lost and dirty is best I can get for now.

yea its really pissing me off and were can i get an os map from call me stupid but im unsure what they are, are they just maps off local tracks and foot paths or. thanks

• Hi,
    OS maps are just Ordnance survey maps they're very detailed even down to showing local farm buildings. They show bridal ways, byways and foot paths, feilds and woodland areas and all roads etc. They also have contour lines for showing the elusive hills round our way and terrain type.
    I have a few for around Peterborough and Rutland that I purchased from W H Smiths for £8 each although you could probably google them and get them cheaper on line. They are numbered for every area Thetford is 229 in the explorer range, Wisbech is 235 and Kings Lyn is 250.
    The official website is WWW.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisure

Hope this helps and enjoy getting lost, I do.
  • I live in Rutland and have the same problem, for my fix I have to travel to the likes of the Paek District but if it's fast XC you want then the trails around Church Stretton are well worth the day trip. You could also try Swinley and Woburn which are a bit closer.

If you are finding Thetford boring then you need to hook up with a local as the best stuff is a bit harder to find and is definately not the sign posted stuff.
  • Briggo

If you are finding Thetford boring then you need to hook up with a local as the best stuff is a bit harder to find and is definitely not the sign posted stuff.

http://www.timbermtb.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1070
  • Aston Hill doesn't look too far away if you can drive with your bike.
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/Website/recr ... tAstonHill

http://www.bucksmtb.co.uk/trail7.htm
  • BeardedDave
    BeardedDave Posts: 1,977
    Briggo wrote:

If you are finding Thetford boring then you need to hook up with a local as the best stuff is a bit harder to find and is definitely not the sign posted stuff.

http://www.timbermtb.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1070

or try

http://ificantrideit.myfastforum.org/

We're all based around the Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambridgeshire area. There's usually a regular Thetford ride most weekends. We don't tend to ride much of the waymarked trails, if at all. IMHO the best riding is the stuff that's not signposted. There's also regular rides to Chicksands, Woburn, Aston Hill, Surrey Hills and occasionally further afield. All are more than welcome to join in, we're a friendly bunch that enjoy riding and laughing at each other! :D
    East Anglia Biking Collective!
    http://www.easternbikemonkeys.co.uk/forum/
  • Hello thanks alot ill get in touch defo. thanks

• barcanova
    barcanova Posts: 12
    I live close to Thetford now and ride there alot but closer to Wisbech is of course Sandringham and Wolferton, me and my mate Bernie used to ride there a lots, Wolferton has a very good trail running parallel with the A149 and runs the length of the woodland from the turning to Wolferotn village all the way down to the Dersingham roundabout, and there are some good trails within Sandringham too, along side the caravan park is a good bit of single track, go check it out, its as good as Thetford black trail i'd say, and used less so therefore in better condition!!
    Yeti ASR 5
    Rocky Mountain Element 50
    Marin East Peak
    GT Bravado LE (In a coma)
    Kona Cinder Code (RIP)
    Raleigh Mirage (RIP)
  • Depending on what you're after, Chicksands is good as a play destination, DS, 4X, DH etc, with some well-used and abused XC (albeit limited), and with jumps if that's your sort of thing. If you have access to a car, then also try Bourne Woods - there's nothing offical, but if you can find a local rider then if you ask them nicely they may show you some of the cheeky stuff. Nothing epic, but good fun for sharpening skills. There's also some half-decent plottable XC routes from Peterborough/Elton which don't take too much working out from an OS map (as well as some highly unofficial stuff around the city itself), as long as you don't mind a little bit of tarmac interspersed with your dirt.
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Depending on what you're after, Chicksands is good as a play destination, DS, 4X, DH etc, with some well-used and abused XC (albeit limited), and with jumps if that's your sort of thing. If you have access to a car, then also try Bourne Woods - there's nothing offical, but if you can find a local rider then if you ask them nicely they may show you some of the cheeky stuff. Nothing epic, but good fun for sharpening skills. There's also some half-decent plottable XC routes from Peterborough/Elton which don't take too much working out from an OS map (as well as some highly unofficial stuff around the city itself), as long as you don't mind a little bit of tarmac interspersed with your dirt.

thanks alot ill be looking into these perfect.

• Frostys
    Frostys Posts: 277
    Hey Churchygti,

Aston Hill has excellent downhill facilities and the surrounding area has really good varied XC riding, if your ever over this way give me PM and I'll show you around.

Also there is a thread running on here for newbies or the terminally unfit check out the Cannock Slow Rides thread
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Guerciotti Lyra Cross
    Trek 6000 S/S
  • Frostys wrote:
    Hey Churchygti,

Aston Hill has excellent downhill facilities and the surrounding area has really good varied XC riding, if your ever over this way give me PM and I'll show you around.

Also there is a thread running on here for newbies or the terminally unfit check out the Cannock Slow Rides thread

ah lovely thanks alot.