Energy drinks...and flatulance

Off the back of my SIS query, I feel I have to say that PSP, Go and Rego - whilst beneficial to training - does give me serious wind! I mean farting like a trooper!! Does anyone else suffer as a result of sports drinks? And if so - are there any that don't make you windy?!

Thanks
Never mistake motion for action
Tweet@gmunrop69
Trainerroad - GMan69

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Stuff with lots of sugar in it does the same for me. At least I think sugar is the villain, so to speak. I like Clif Bars taste but they do seem to be a problem in that respect. Not a big deal though. I just go a farting merrily along.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yes I think sugar can cause problems like this, it feeds bacteria in the gut which then puts out noxious gases which you fart out...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm the same but with sorbitol, which is often an ingredient in sugar free sweets. I once picked up sugar free polos by mistake and only found out when I'd eaten the lot and started farting like a racehorse.

Any sorbitol in the things that affect you??
  • Headhuunter
    Farting like a racehorse! Do racehorses really fart??!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Christ yes! I am living in the best place to know this.

Back to the cyclists, fructose can also do this to the unsuspecting, and is more likely to be found in energy drinks etc
  • Headhuunter
    keef66 wrote:

Back to the cyclists, fructose can also do this to the unsuspecting, and is more likely to be found in energy drinks etc

Yeah I get the farts after eating fruit sometimes, I think any kind of sugar - fructose, glucose etc etc can bring it on...
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    keef66 wrote:

....he's sitting behind a racehorse as he types
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Fibre,fruit,soya,gluten are all possible causes plus the err natural ingredients,i could not touch this sort of product for that and other reasons,it is usually a sign for me that my body wants it out of my system as soon as,maybe just cut down will help for you.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Fibre,fruit,soya,gluten are all possible causes plus the err natural ingredients,i could not touch this sort of product for that and other reasons,it is usually a sign for me that my body wants it out of my system as soon as,maybe just cut down will help for you.

+1...... That's probably the best idea. Most people eat and drink too much of that stuff anyway. I think there is this idea, in some people, that the more gels, bars, and drinks you get in your system the faster you'll go(or something like that). When your body says "that's just about it" at the 85 mile mark of a 100 mile day, no amount of anything is
    going to help you do anymore than struggle through the last 15 to get home. They may be called power bars but.........
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    As I have said before, lard is the food of champions.

As for wind - sugar in the gut is the right suggestion. If there is too much to be absorbed in the small intestine, it will sit and cause naughty havoc in the arse canal. You may also be glugging down a lot of air as you sup your brew. Perfect your botlle to mouth posture, and quaff better.

Take on less sugar, and less often.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    large amounts of protein = wind

any kind of protein recovery drink/bar is likely to do it to you ;)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    fart-powered-rocket-bike.jpg
  • Cheers guys. I might look into a supplement to introduce 'good bacteria' into my fart laden gut. And porridge before a ride, rather than PSP22/Go bar, etc. Which lets face it, are pretty disgusting.

JimmyK - an interesting idea though for the Lakeland Loop next month! :lol:
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • mik82
    mik82 Posts: 38
    What about the maltodextrin that's in those energy drinks? I think it's quite digestion resistant so some of it makes its way to your large intestine where the bacteria there digest it and produce gas. It's the same mechanism by which beans make you fart. I don't know whether taking probiotics (good bacteria) will make any difference to the gas levels.
  • Barney 2
    Barney 2 Posts: 68
    Yes I have started to suffer from this too but only since I changed from SiS to ZipVit energy drink. Only changed as Zip Vit where offering a BoGoF offer so now I have tons of the stuff to get through, not sure if I can put up with the farting for that long!

Seriously is this a sign that this stuff is bad for us?
  • flix23
    flix23 Posts: 72
    Is there any short term fix, for example, bio yoghurts that one can take post-ride/consumption of energy drinks to help ease the flatulence?

I'm staying am my sister-in-law's after the Etape du Dales on Sunday, and if my normal post-ride wind is anything to go by, it's going to be a rather embarassing evening!
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEG8FmOm2uI

is this any of you lot breaking wind on your bike ?
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Both I and the missus had the same problem with SIS products when we tried them - blew up like balloons, then deflated like whoopee cushions (to carry on the metaphor). If I could have lit the resultant gas, I'd probably have knocked up a PB.

We now use Torq stuff, whcih seems to work as well, without the unpleasant side effects - If I'm guiding, I can be using the stuff day in, day out, and it's yet to cause me problems. I actually *like* the bars too - could happily snack on the Pineapple and Ginger ones.