RS80/Dura-ace CL - delaminating

incog24
incog24 Posts: 549
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
Just noticed today that the carbon 180degrees out from the valve hole on my rear wheel (RS80) is starting to delaminate...I'm not massively impressed as they've probably done only 6000miles. I presume that as the carbon is partly structural, its not good news.

Anyone else experienced this? Think I'll be making a phone call to Madison tomorrow...I've already had to warranty the front wheel after the rim weld came loose...
Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk

Comments

• weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Did you mean 6000 miles? I have a set and I'd be surprised to get that much mileage out of them.
  • incog24
    Yeah I do...Been riding them most of the time for just under a year now. Possibly a bit less than that? Not considerably though anyway. Surely you'd expect more than 6000 out of a set of wheels though?! For lots of people that's less than half a year! They haven't been abused. I used them through the winter (what parts we could actually ride outside for) but I always wash the bike after rides. They're not super super light race wheels, so I don't see why they should be particularly vulnerable.
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Fair enough - I have the DAs and they look a lot less solid than my ksyriums, whose rims saw c.6000-7000 miles before the braking surface was concave. I only use my DAs in the summer so it's good to know that they will take more abuse than I expected.
  • incog24
    They've been holding up really well until now. Rim surfaces are fine, only a lil out of true. I'm not massively vicious on the brakes though. Surely rims should last a bit longer than that though? Who would be able to afford two wheelsets a year?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    These are surely not wheels designed for doing all of your mileage on though? If I had a set I'd only use them in summer on my good bike (they are only 1400g, and the rim sidewalls are only 0.8mm) so they'd last afew years.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When I had mine I only used them in good weather as a treat...

Due to the nature of their construction I thought that they wouldn't last as long...
  • incog24
    The sidewalls are thin, but that shouldn't be an issue, the braking surfaces aren't any different. My RS80s weight in at 1517g so they aren't super light either. I'm not huge at 75kgs, and do a good job of avoiding potholes, although I don't think this has much bearing on the delamination.
  • NRS_Comp1
    NRS_Comp1 Posts: 63
    Are the DA C24 that fragile ? I'm sort of worried now because I just bought a pair and it seems according to you guys that they don't last long if use for everyday riding... should I buy a cheaper wheelset and save these one for races and hilly ride ?
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 559
    surely they will be under warranty for a year and why would there be an expectation that they cant be used as your only wheelset!
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • incog24
    NapoleonD wrote:
    When I had mine I only used them in good weather as a treat...

Due to the nature of their construction I thought that they wouldn't last as long...

The RS80s aren't that expensive that you would expect to have to use them like this though...Spokes are a bit more porky too I think.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    A friend of mine had issues like this with some DA carbon tubs.
    The rim started to crack and de-laminate.We sent them to Maddision (via our trade account) and it was deemed not a warranty issue.The thought it was down to braking and pot holes.Remember carbon wont flex like alloy if you hit a pot hole it will just take the shock which could have caused these issues.
  • incog24
    That doesn't sound nice, especially since those tubs aren't cheap! I guess the carbon laminate might flex differently to the rim, so it comes apart over time?? Still seems odd considering. Bit different to the tubs with it being aluminium too.