waterproof/hi-viz jackets

Paul E
Paul E Posts: 2,052
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I have decided I need a new one as the hi-viz one i do have has faded and it's only a thin shell.

I do have a fox waterproof with some reflective panels but I tend to boil in the bag a bit with it on and in the day as it's a grey blue colour doesn't really stand out as much as I would like even if it lights up like a xmas tree at night...

So the question is what do people recommend, most manufacturers do them but I like to get real feedback on who has got on well with the one they have bought.

I did search on the site but for some reason searching for hi-viz jackets came up with everything under the sun component but not what i was looking for.

Ohh and while I am at it a hi-viz gilet too as I do like them for coolish spring/summer mornings...

Thankings in advance!!

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I bought a goretex wind/waterproof 6/7 years ago in FO yellow with reflective piping. It cost me £100 then, I was flush and haven't regretted one penny of it. The sleeves zip off and it folds up into its' back pocket. Breathes well and a gilet into the bargain. I'm having to replace it as a spill in the ice trashed a zip. The current version is about £200. If it lasts as well as the first one it'll be worth the dosh. Excuse me back out onto street corners raising cash again.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My Altura Night Vision is too warm for me now. How some people wear them in this weather is beyond me, but I tend to sweat more than most.

Does the Montane Featherlite come in hi-viz?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    cjcp wrote:

It does indeed, and it looks quite fetching, IMHO ;) Not much reflective trim, but the yellow is certainly bright.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    cjcp wrote:
    My Altura Night Vision is too warm for me now. How some people wear them in this weather is beyond me, but I tend to sweat more than most.

I agree, the night vision has been resting in the back pack all week and I'm down to a long sleeve running top; what am I going to do when it gets warmer than it is now?
  • Paul E
    That's my problem too, I generate a lot of heat, I need something that's water proof, reflective bright and doesn't make me too warm, I know I can't have all of those things though!!
  • cjcp
    gbsahne wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I agree, the night vision has been resting in the back pack all week and I'm down to a long sleeve running top; what am I going to do when it gets warmer than it is now?

You can buy hi-viz short sleeve t-shirts. Or Lidl's sell cheap short-sleeve cycling tops - I found the sizing is bigger than normal.

@Paul E - breathability is a problem for me, whatever I wear. In the summer, if it rains, I just wear a Linebreak compression top/baselayer and a SS cycling top.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    gbsahne wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I had the old Night Vision jacket and would have to agree about the copious amounts of sweat. However, I just treated myself to the new Night Vision 'Evo' jacket and it's much better. It almost doesn't feel like you're wearing a waterproof.

I did a search on Google Shopping, found the cheapest price (£62) and got Evans to price match.
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    edited March 2010
    I've got a Montane Velocity DT 2.0. I love the thing, really nice fit, packs up very small, superlight, hellla waterproof etc. but I find that already I'm sweating like Gary Glitter at 3 o'clock by the time I get to work (and I only have a seven minute commute). I definitely wouldn't want to wear it in warmer temperatures.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • cjcp
    monkeydan wrote:
    I've got a Montane Velocity DT 2.0. I love the thing, really nice fit, packs up very small, superlight, hellla waterproof etc. but I find that already I'm sweating like Gary Glitter at 3 o'fool by the time I get to work (and I only have a seven minute commute). I definitely wouldn't want to wear it in warmer temperatures.

OT, but I have a Gore Phantom II jacket. It's the absolute business. Detachable arms, so converts to a (heavy) gilet.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    jamesco wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

It does indeed, and it looks quite fetching, IMHO ;) Not much reflective trim, but the yellow is certainly bright.

Except it is only windproof, anymore than drizzle and you'll be soaked. I had one for a while and replaced with the rapha stowaway, different league: v breathable, almost waterproof and packs down nice.
  • millimole
    millimole Posts: 53
    I've got both the Polaris RBS jacket and the RBS Gilet. Neither are 'heavyweight' or waterproof, but are very good in the windproof, and 'light shower proof' departments. These are definately Hi-Vis with a good smattering of reflectives.
    Recomended for wearing over something warmer.
    A word of warning though - they do not have any pockets, which is a serious design flaw IMO.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    I have the Endura Laser HI Viz (Yellow) Jacket and Gilet and very happy with both for price, performance, fit and looks.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Paul E
    Thanks all, given me a few to look at
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Could I chuck the dhb Amberley into the mix?
    Got one at Xmas and it's served me very well over the wet months!
    Have got a bit sweaty with it on but then I think I just naturally get rather hot as I can usually arrive soaked in my windproof jacket.

It comes with rather generously sized "pit zips" to get extra air in (suspect would be more effective on the commute without a backpack) and the adjustable wrist straps mean you can get some extra ventilation by loosening them.

Still get practical features like a rear pocket for when your out on a "proper" ride and was a relative bargain at £50 from Wiggle
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    While the Nightvision is warm - I just open the rear vents and have the front zip half open, the flow of air keeps me reasonably cool

The on warmer days I carry a shower proof top in the pannier for the odd wet commute.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I've worn a Pearl Izumi Vagabond all through winter with just a merino base layer underneath as I get pretty hot.

It's not completely waterproof, it's showerproof and therefore breathable. I find any proper waterproof too sweaty even in cold weather. Having said that, this kept me dry though the horrible weather in February for a half hour commute.

It also has zip off arms to turn it into a gilet, and most places seem to sell them for under £50 instead of £70.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pea ... t-ec016672

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... cket-10785
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    While the Nightvision is warm - I just open the rear vents and have the front zip half open, the flow of air keeps me reasonably cool

The on warmer days I carry a shower proof top in the pannier for the odd wet commute.

I'd agree with that. I've been using a Nigh Vision for the last 2 years and its served me well. During the colder months its rare I have to add a 2nd base layer yet during the more recent warm snap I opened the vents and the front and didn't get too hot
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.