Making CDs from your Spotify Playlists...

Westerberg
Westerberg Posts: 652
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
anyone do it? care to share the best way? I'm assuming this is illegal so please pass on the knowlege before the thread gets deleted :wink:

Comments

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    easy with 2 computers - you can record any thing you like using something like audacity by using a normal audi jack plug from the output of any device into the microphone socket of the computer you want to record it on,

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
  • Westerberg
    hmm, interesting - might need to get my hands on another laptop
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You don't need 2 computers, just set up Audacity to record 'what you hear'

Allegedly

Teenage son to blame for my being in possession of such knowledge.
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Do you need another computer?
    If using Audacity, choose the correct recording source (from the menu: edit > preferences - devices, and select a 'device' from the 'recording' section)

edit: oh, beaten to it :)
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • Westerberg
    keef66 wrote:
    Teenage son to blame for my being in possession of such knowledge.
    naturally :wink:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    As you're all audacity experts - I've been trying to record from external sources and so far have only managed to get recordings in mono - what am I doing wrong?
  • keef66
    Porgy, I'll have a word with the youngster tomorrow. (he's working tonight, and there's no point in me texting him, I can never understand any of his replies in txt spk)
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    there was I thinking I was being clever only to be outdone by someone younger and quicker

just like my cycling
  • keef66
    He's like the artful dodger; if there's a way of getting something for free he'll find it. Cheats at Monopoly too. Crap on a bike though.

Tha answer may lie in the following Audacity help stuff...

Recording Device - Select the devce that will be used for recording / audio input. Note that many devices have multiple sources such as Microphone and Line in - to select the input source you will need to use the Mixer Toolbar.

For finer control over audio I/O, open your system's Sound control panel or the control panel that came with your sound card.

Recording Channels - Use this to select the number of channels to record simultaneously. Select 1 for mono and 2 for stereo. Audacity will support recording more simultaneous channels, but note that most sound cards only support stereo, and even if your sound card supports more than 2 inputs, you need a fast computer and a large, fast hard disk to record many channels for a long time.
    Mono recording is not the same on all computers or sound cards. Sometimes recording mono only records the left channel, and sometimes it mixes the left and right channels.
  • Porgy
    keef66 wrote:
    He's like the artful dodger; if there's a way of getting something for free he'll find it. Cheats at Monopoly too. Crap on a bike though.

Tha answer may lie in the following Audacity help stuff...

Recording Device - Select the devce that will be used for recording / audio input. Note that many devices have multiple sources such as Microphone and Line in - to select the input source you will need to use the Mixer Toolbar.

For finer control over audio I/O, open your system's Sound control panel or the control panel that came with your sound card.

Recording Channels - Use this to select the number of channels to record simultaneously. Select 1 for mono and 2 for stereo. Audacity will support recording more simultaneous channels, but note that most sound cards only support stereo, and even if your sound card supports more than 2 inputs, you need a fast computer and a large, fast hard disk to record many channels for a long time.
    Mono recording is not the same on all computers or sound cards. Sometimes recording mono only records the left channel, and sometimes it mixes the left and right channels.

cheers!! If I get time on Sunday I'll give it a go.

You wouldn't know if it matters what version of audacity you have do you?
  • keef66
    It must be a recent one; he keeps breaking the pc at which point I have to reinstall Windoze and he has to download all his freebie software again.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    buddha wrote:
    Do you need another computer?
    If using Audacity, choose the correct recording source (from the menu: edit > preferences - devices, and select a 'device' from the 'recording' section)

edit: oh, beaten to it :)

Depending on your OS / Audio drivers this may not be possible. My computer here at work has no option to record Wave Out or What You Hear... presumably to combat this kind of thing.

I would have thought that 2pcs is overkill though. Remember Google is your friend..
  • Porgy
    keef66 wrote:
    It must be a recent one; he keeps breaking the pc at which point I have to reinstall Windoze and he has to download all his freebie software again.

my kid left home two years ago - my laptop has hardly crashed once since then - wheras she'd bugger it up almost on a weekly basis - and fill the hard drive with a pile of useless junk. :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I can't imagine the quality of recording is very good is it? I tried fixing my PC up through my hi fi to play Spotify through hi fi speakers but the sound quality was abysmal....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I thought Spotify streamed at 160k for free users, eg 'Medium-Fi' - I find it fine if not quite CD good.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    mr_si wrote:
    I thought Spotify streamed at 160k for free users, eg 'Medium-Fi' - I find it fine if not quite CD good.

A friend of mine had it playing through his TV and it sounded OK, but when I put it thruogh my Denon hi fi and Eltax speakers it only came out of 1 speaker and sounded like a transistor radio circa 1981....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.