Rollers vs Road

Bsandow
Bsandow Posts: 3
Hey Guys,

Does one hour on the rollers equate to one hour on the road?
Anyone able to elaborate on the use of rollers in training?

Cheers.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Bsandow wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Cheers.

In a word, BORING. Although at least with rollers you need to concentrate somewhat on balance, as opposed to trainers.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    One hour is one hour. If you do it at the same intensity (not speed) then they'll be equivalent.
    More problems but still living....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The scenery is nowhere near as good on rollers; you're much less likely to see a badger.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    keef66 wrote:
    The scenery is nowhere near as good on rollers; you're much less likely to see a badger.

I saw a beaver once.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    edited March 2010
    Depending on the type of session you do, my feeling is that an hour on rollers (or turbo) is probably worth more than a hour on the road - on the basis that on a static trainer you are at least pushing the pedals 100% of the time, whereas on the road you will be spending at least some of the ride spinning or freewheeling.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Garry H wrote:
    I saw a beaver once.
    The mind boggles at what sort of DVDs you watch while on the rollers :oops:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Bronzie wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    I saw a beaver once.

Yeah - and a thread for that would be under 'Special Interests', not 'Training', surely ?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Bronzie wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    I saw a beaver once.

We don't all live alone :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dennisn wrote:
    Bsandow wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Cheers.

In a word, BORING. Although at least with rollers you need to concentrate somewhat on balance, as opposed to trainers.

Erm - Dennis? The question you answered was "Anyone able to elaborate on the use of rollers in training?"

To which you then went on to first say boring, then explain why rollers aren't boring!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    softlad wrote:
    Depending on the type of session you do, my feeling is that an hour on rollers (or turbo) is probably worth more than a hour on the road - on the basis that on a static trainer you are at least pushing the pedals 100% of the time, whereas on the road you will be spending at least some of the ride spinning or freewheeling.

I'd have to agree with this one. A solid hour on the turbo certainly hurts me more than an hour on the road. As long as you don't soft-pedal on the turbo - you can get a pretty intense workout.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pokerface wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Bsandow wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Cheers.

Erm - Dennis? The question you answered was "Anyone able to elaborate on the use of rollers in training?"

To which you then went on to first say boring, then explain why rollers aren't boring!

What I meant to say was, rollers are less boring than trainers. But you knew that. Right??? :? :? :wink:
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    I'd have to dis-agree (talking about a turbo though not rollers.)

At the moment I'm finding it easier to produce certain power numbers on the turbo than on the road for one very simple reason, variance.

Foe example if I'm doing a road ride with av power of x, the power will be all over the place due to terrain, road conditions, not able to concentrate on just producing power etv.

Where as on the turbo I can now pretty much stick to the target wattage within 10 watts, the power is steady and so for me an 'easier' ride for the same power.

Same as hills, x watts on a hill is much 'easier' than x watts on the flats.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    softlad wrote:

I'd have to agree with this one. A solid hour on the turbo certainly hurts me more than an hour on the road. As long as you don't soft-pedal on the turbo - you can get a pretty intense workout.

For high intensity specific stuff (unless you're doing hill reps or a chaingang) the turbo is probably the best thing you can use. There's no hiding.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015