Tights, 3/4 lenght or shorts your favourite length?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I wore my 3/4 length tights. After a winter of full length tights, sometime two pairs at once! I have to say that I enjoyed the warmth over my knees and calf but loved the wind cool air swirling around my ankles and gracing my ever thankful shins.

Dare I say that 3/4 length tights are my prefered pair of padded lycra cycling garment.

What's your's?

Oh and because its Friday, with poll.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Shorts sometimes with kneewarmers or legwarmers
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Um, depends on how warm/cold it is.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Aidy wrote:

Exactly!

However, I don't own any 3/4s, by the time it's warm enough that I'm not wearing tights, I will be wearing shorts.

So I would say that 3/4s are my least favourite...
  • DonDaddyD
    Aidy wrote:

See I get this, but generally given the choice in weather where I could technically wear all three. I'd choose 3/4 length.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

See I get this, but generally given the choice in weather where I could technically wear all three. I'd choose 3/4 length.

So if you're wearing all three, do you put the shorts first, 3/4 next, tights on top, or the other way round?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    lycra has to be shorts for me.

if really cold, then padless longs above that.

and i always wear baggies on top of everything anyway.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited March 2010
    Speedos

lancearmstrongtriathlet.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I never saw the point of 3/4. They also look absurd.

I don't get hot ankles (or feet, for that matter) when I'm cycling, but they do occasionally get cold.

For that reason, I seem to find myself wearing shorts and legwarmers for most of the year, with rather more variation on the top half of my body (which generates/loses most heat).
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Speedos

lancearmstrongtriathlet.jpg

And you just happened to have that image on file just in case?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Shorts sometimes with kneewarmers or legwarmers

+1 most versatile option I reckon
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Was wearing 3/4 over tights during the snow back in January but after sweating this week have returned to the 3/4.
  • I don't like cold knees (and other bits) so I find I end up with 3/4s more often than shorts....
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I have not great knees so i wear 3/4 unless its really warm outsite. In winter, full tights.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've not got any 3/4s but I've been wearing shorts and kneewarmers a lot recently. Seems daft buying 3/4s though my knee warmers were only a tenner and I can wear them with all of my shorts. They do look daft though they looked darker blue on the website :oops:

As soon as it's above 15 degrees it's shorts season baby 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Shorts, as that normally means it's a reasonable temperature outside.

Otherwise, shorts and legwarmers (as others above).
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I've not got any 3/4s either. Knee-warmers with bibs is perfect at the moment. Soon I'll wear the warmers on the way in but not bother on the way home. Versatile, see :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Aidy wrote:

+1. I don't own 3/4 lengths or full lengths, though. I have fleeced running tights plus bib shorts.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    These knee warmers, are these the things I see people wearing when it looks like they've got tights on under their shorts.

(It looks cool).
    Food Chain number = 4

• hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Below freezing - full length

0-10 degrees - 3/4

10 or above - shorts
    Still breathing.....
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Wear full-lengths in really cold weather but have to fold them over at the bottom due to ridiculously short legs. Even shorts come to just above the knee with a quick pull. 3/4 are a non-starter as they are just not quite long enough to use as full-lengths. Have found that a pair of ladies (stop sniggering :oops: ) size 12 leggings are long enough to use as full-length tights in an emergency.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I'm an old person and need to keep my joints warm so 3/4 for me
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Long when it's cold
    Short when it's hot
    Leg warmers when it's a long day and I don't know how it's going to turn out.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It has to get very cold before I wear my bib tights, other wise it's shorts and if my knees are feeling a bit cold I have some lusso knee warmers, otherwise I am quite hardy when it comes to low temps and my legs.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    Even wearing full lengths, my thighs get too warm and my calves remain uncomfortably cold. 3/4 lengths would simply make that even worse, or am I the only one who has this issue ? :?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    <snip>

For that reason, I seem to find myself wearing shorts and legwarmers for most of the year, with rather more variation on the top half of my body (which generates/loses most heat).

so you wear 3/4's?? but with added fiddly nonsense? Edit: ah leg not knee warmers??

I'm a recent convert and much prefer them to fulls (only wear them when it's really very cold) but when it starts to warm up I wear leg warmers a bit if I'm heading in early

I prefer the simplicity of avoiding legwarmers but it can mean you overheat a few times
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    These knee warmers, are these the things I see people wearing when it looks like they've got tights on under their shorts.

(It looks cool).

Quite possibly, I look the dogs in mine :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    prawny wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

(It looks cool).

Quite possibly, I look the dogs in mine :wink:

Yes, I have a red pair that attract much ridicule in the office. But then the nodders I work with have no style whatsoever. :lol:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Clever Pun wrote:
    <snip>

so you wear 3/4's?? but with added fiddly nonsense? Edit: ah leg not knee warmers??

I'm a recent convert and much prefer them to fulls (only wear them when it's really very cold) but when it starts to warm up I wear leg warmers a bit if I'm heading in early

I prefer the simplicity of avoiding legwarmers but it can mean you overheat a few times
    Added fiddly nonsense is a necessary compromise in exchange for flexibility.

I started cycling a lot when a student (as a post-rowing injury contingency sport - see other thread) and at that time I couldn't afford bibtights. However I had cycling shorts and rowing tights so used them for years.

Then I discovered leg warmers which are about as fiddly as tights over shorts, but which are removably in the event of a heat related emergency, and it in a back pocket.

Knee warmers. No. Can't see the point. About as useful as toe warmers (which are like overshoes except they don't keep your shoes clean or dry.)

Another advantage of leg warmers is that it is not readily aparrent whether or not you are a hairy roadie or a vain leg shaving roadie. This can come in useful if you go crossing or mtb-ing.

Still more versatility, you see, with the added benefit of no ingrown hair and savings on shaving cream.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I adore my knee warmers. My legs do sometimes overheat in leg warmers, but my knees don't like being exposed at under 15C, so knee warmers are perfect. Below about 5C I'll wear leg warmers. The full length tights only come out if it's windy and rainy, due to being windproof.