Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening....

Fireblade96
Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
London Commuters, LEG IT !!!!

There's a big storm a'comin' your way. :shock:

(thunder, ligntniing, wind, rain and even hail. Seriously)

Get home dry,
Your upwind weather correspondent.
Misguided Idealist

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Indeed.

Is there a Devil put aside?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • No spitting in my eye please.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jpm5555
    jpm5555 Posts: 56
    Yep, just passed over me in Winnersh (east of Reading).

Pretty relieved that today is the first day this week that I'm in the car. It went pitch black, and absolutely lashed down for 20 minutes, accompanied by oodles of thunder and lightening.

Pretty sure I'd have drowned on the bike :shock:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    glad i took the heap to work this morning.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Can't see anything. Bet I outride it!

:twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Me going home on the train today is an unexpectedly positive outcome of the fact that my bike disintigrated at the weekend.

Hoping to have a new one by next week - by which the time the weather will be perfect every day. 8)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Some say you're to blame
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Your geography is a bit out mate, you'll be riding towards it on your way home. Been on the train all day due to a site visit in Bristol, and looking out of the window, it seems that this morning's 1hr 45mins rail/tube journey from Carshalton to Paddington may at least have a small silver lining.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I want a thunderstorm. Not had a decent one for years. I love thunder (as long as I'm not out in it)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hmm. I'd hoped to get home before it started but ran out of luck at Stockwell. Almost blown sideways at Clapham South, just before the Cavendish Road turnoff :shock: E&C still holds number one spot though.

Now home and in dry clothes, seriously wondering if I should head out again to do hills with the running club at Covington Way, Streatham. Would give me a chance to try out my Altura waterproof trousers though :roll:
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    Hmm. I'd hoped to get home before it started but ran out of luck at Stockwell. Almost blown sideways at Clapham South, just before the Cavendish Road turnoff :shock: E&C still holds number one spot though.

Now home and in dry clothes, seriously wondering if I should head out again to do hills with the running club at Covington Way, Streatham. Would give me a chance to try out my Altura waterproof trousers though :roll:

Yikes! That bad? I'm just heading to the basement changing rooms and then going to brave the wicked wind from the west.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    DonDaddyD wrote:

i bet you got drenched, i did
  • ridin8ude
    ridin8ude Posts: 88
    Was a fun ride home.
    Huge gusts and some serious rain.

Group of 6 of us stopped in Burgess park to move a big felled tree off the bike path through the park. Good community service we are!

Had blown thru by the time I got home - if only I'd worked for an extra 45 minutes...
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I was out in it, not on a bike though :? Had a cross country race with my school, hate running but came 9th out 60ish so I'm happy :D
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Yay, mega rain!
    Got caught in that 5 miles from home
    tonight's commute = 25 miles, normal commute = 20 miles :oops:

rain = all the way to 11
    puddles = road
    road = river
    visibility = 0
    brake effectiveness = 0
    number of waterproofs about my person = 0
    will3 = soaked
    Grin = ear to ear

:D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    amnezia wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

i bet you got drenched, i did

Well what a big let down that was.

I left work all frightful pedaled like crazy and nothing, it was practically summer buy Waterloo.

Got through Clapham and I guess the air is a little moist.

Hold on, let me look out the window... ...yep ground shows a hint that it did rain, but it isn't.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Aye, a bit wet, but it's been worse. Think we might have got off lightly in the Big Smoke.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    will3 wrote:
    Yay, mega rain!
    Got caught in that 5 miles from home
    tonight's commute = 25 miles, normal commute = 20 miles :oops:

rain = all the way to 11
    puddles = road
    road = river
    visibility = 0
    brake effectiveness = 0
    number of waterproofs about my person = 0
    will3 = soaked
    Grin = ear to ear

+10

Downpour here started with about 7 miles to go; the sky went as black as yer hat and the heavens opened. Another mile on and the biggest ever crack of thunder went off right over my head, followed by the world's biggest lightning strike just behind me. Did I mention I can do 30 mph uphill when the conditions suit? Strewth...

Another mile and it's a monsoon, another crack of thunder, a bolt of lightning that lit the road up like Filbert Street's floodlights used to, right in front of me. I can hardly see what with the rain in my face but the speeds were up in the mid to high 20s for this stretch. Exciting stuff. The blast home for the last mile in semi-darkness with an inch of standing water was a complete hoot. Arrrive home with a stupid grin across my fizzog, to find the wife about to set off to look for me - she was worried about my lack of lights.

What makes thunder / lightning / monsoon rain rides so exhilerating then? Awesome fun. :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I with two other members of the council of elders headed to the scared birth place of SCR were we consumed numerious beers until it was time to leave, London has no idea what rain really is, I'm on Z train home now where I'm expecting ....

The end of the world!

Although I will quite possibly survive as I have plans for tomorrow ;)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    iain_j wrote:
    I want a thunderstorm. Not had a decent one for years. I love thunder (as long as I'm not out in it)

Having been on my bike in a thunderstorm when lightning struck in the field next to me, I can confirm that it certainly makes you jump. It is also very, very loud. I rode the same way the next day and saw the scorch marks on the ground
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yep, got absolutely soaked. Once you reach the point where you can't really get much wetter it's really rather fun...

Thank goodness I had a baseball cap...

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Nope false alarm no rain or gods fury just another plague of frogs.

still the end of the world
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • hmm, managed to miss it all last night - left london in only light rain, and got back to Reading after it had all passed.
    and was annoyed with myself for taking the short route through london and missing out half my usual fun.

lesson learned.
  • ridin8ude wrote:
    Was a fun ride home.
    Huge gusts and some serious rain.

Group of 6 of us stopped in Burgess park to move a big felled tree off the bike path through the park. Good community service we are!

Had blown thru by the time I got home - if only I'd worked for an extra 45 minutes...

Well I'm pleased I worked a little later than you - my ride through Burgess Park was dry (a bit of standing water but nothing falling on me from above). :D
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.