Anyone been to Moab...?

physiosteve
physiosteve Posts: 194
edited April 2010 in MTB general
Got a Road Trip planned for end of May. Would luv to hear from anyone who can tell me bit about Moab, espesh Porcupine Rim and Poison Spider Mesa Portal Trails.

Kickin off in Arizona, prob catch Crested Butte Area Co too so any recommendations,must/musn't do's b v welcom :lol: e

Stevo
Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I sent a month there. It was 20 years ago but the trails you mention were all there then. Porcupine rim was probably the most epic of them, views wise. There was a 4 day ride aswell, kokopelli trail(?) I didn't ride that one

The trails were well marked then but, as always, there are some off the beaten track gems and the book I used was called "slickrock and beyond" and included what I suppose you mean by the portal trail, which at the time was known as the cow portal and goes off the end of the poison Spider Mesa. 250m drop to your left on a meter wide rocky trail concentrates the mind!

Slickrock trail ofc was just bonkers

it was a magical time, no suspension, no sense of my own mortality, just me my old M800 (at the time new, I still have it though), an Etto helmet and a whole bunch of Ansel Addams country laid out for me to play in.

I stayed at the "Lazy Lizard" guest house. Dunno if it's still there and/or any good now
    it was >100 deg F out most of the time (I was there in April) I was drinking a litlre an hour of water plus a gallon of milk a day
    The weather could change from 100 deg in the shade to hail storm in minutes ... keeps you on your toes!
    The beer sucks (Mormon state so max 3.2%, at least it was) although there was a microbrewery that made interesting tasting if weak beer

everyone should go there once, I want to go there again :D
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • physiosteve
    sheers for the reply dude , I can't wait. I'm on a course in Phoenix and Moab seams just to good to miss, even if it is 400miles in an RV...!

Check out Mountainbikemayhem.com
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    400 miles? that's down the shops in the US of A

I was young and stupid when I went. Got a greyhound form Colarado to Green river then hitched ... i've been dining out on that story for a while!

Take a camera. it is some of the most breathtaking country I've seen ... pictures please :-) .
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am going to Moab this 'Fall', so am subscribing

I loved some guys review of porcupine rim

"this trail had the most technical downhills I have ever walked down"

Sounds good =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    I, too, went 'back in the day' - in the summer of '93, and it remains one of my most enduring cycling memories, try and get to Colorado as well, maybe the Durango area for some 'old school' MTB'ing on the Colorado trail.
    3 things I can guarantee you....
    1. The riding will be awesome
    2. The beer will be cold
    3. The locals will be friendly

enjoy, and check this out - I found it while lusting over the 2010 Yeti website........

http://www.yeticycles.com/#/features/fruita_moab/1/
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • physiosteve
    Awsome link to the Yeti site, luv the slick Rock vid with the Hendrix track "Sand Castles", I'll have to get that on my IPod, just ordered some flats and some 5 10's, wud luv a 575 after watching that but it'l just have to wait.
    Any recommendations as to best trailor park or RV hook up...