The most annoying statement "listen to your body"!

stonehouse
stonehouse Posts: 222
My body is a lying never to be trusted bastard.

If I listened to *my* body I'd never train! Unless I've gone past the 15 minute mark I have no idea if I'm able to put in a good effort, almost always the first 10-15 minutes feel like I've got the flu (lazy bastarditus) or something and just want to give up, once I'm past that I'm fine, well kinda of, to the best I can manage anyway!

Some of my best training sessions have been after ignoring *my* body.... am I alone?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    My body is telling me to take a day off today. So I will.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    The trick is to learn to differentiate between listening to your body

and

...ignoring your mind which is pretending to be your body as it tells you porkies! :lol:
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited March 2010
    You're not alone. You hear stuff like that all the time. It's a catch phrase that people
    like to use to sound like they know what they are talking about. Now maybe if you're a pro athelete and you spend all your time training, eating, resting, racing, and repeating, well, then maybe you can get a handle on what your body is telling you. On the other hand you will sometimes read a pro diary and it will say something like "...sick as a dog yesterday but so and so talked me into going out on a recovery ride. It was miserable, but I feel a bit better today. Ready to race tomorrow.". To be honest, that tells me that maybe they don't have much more of a clue than I do. It's just a matter of the old saying "gotta ride, gotta ride" and hope for the best tomorrow.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Yes I'm finding exactly the same. The first 15 min of every ride seems to be the deal breaker, always feel absolutely terrible and always think why am I bothering, I'm too tired/overtrained/blah blah, but then I normally feel great.

On the flip side if I'm racing i always start feeling on top of the world, it's only with the result at the end do i realise that i might have been in a fatigued state.

The body/mind lies, number's don't, so I'm about to put all my faith into the numbers and into the performance manager in wko. listening to my body simply aint working for me.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My body just keeps telling me "hey, you. Yes, you, the fat one with the glasses. See that pie there? Get it for me please."
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's a case of learning the difference between being tired and actually overtraining/injury.

Which generally only comes from MTFU and breaking yourself
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    ........ MTFU.........
    That completely trumps "listen to your body" as the most annoying statement.

Ruth
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    My body has nothing useful to say to me at all...

Often my best rides are ones that start off with me feeling dead on my feet, aching and lethargic, only to ride well and feel strong at the end.

Conversely I have at least learnt that if I start out feeling great, strong legs and good breathing, I will die on my arse halfway round, and limp home like a forlorn puppy.

My body is a bad man, it lies, lets me down, and says nothing, yet says it too loud.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    NapoleonD wrote:
    My body just keeps telling me "hey, you. Yes, you, the fat one with the glasses. See that pie there? Get it for me please."

Brilliant!

Thats me ... but i dont wear glasses
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    My body usually says:

fuuuuuuuu.jpg
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    My knee says no, unfortunately my doctor agrees :cry:
  • stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    Don't rely on a doctors opinion, I'd given up cycling if I had. Get him/her to refer you onto a surgeon you get a much better assesment, or at least that was my mileage.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Mine always says, "you're ill and can't train today!"

I've levelled that down to, "you're ill, better take it easy for the first 5 miles".

Generally I try to only take a dayoff if the walk to work/the library exhausts me, if so, I rest.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • ireland57
    ireland57 Posts: 84
    Mine often says "do it tomorrow" and "stay on the couch".

I'm sure most of you knew of Ayrton Senna (F1 World Champ).
    He gave a speech to the media many years ago in Adelaide which basically said:-

"You have to train your mind to tell your body what you want it to do, not what your body wants to do".

And on that note I'm walking the dog Mon am, not having a morning coffee. :oops: :shock: