Thanks.

BR 1979
BR 1979 Posts: 296
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Thanks to the bloke on a Roberts who gave me an inner tube and wouldn't take any cash for it.

Thanks also to the Messenger-lookalike (actually turned out to be the head chef at the OXO Tower (not a euphemism)) on the fixie who lent me his pump. I even had a go on his bike, not ridden a fixed wheel before.

Who says leaving your pump and innertubes at the office is a bad idea? You meet the nicest people on bikes. :)

Anyway, I've got two Specialized 20-28/700 tubes in my rucksack and I'm determined to give one of them away to the next poor soul I see struggling at the side of the road.

My commute is Kensington (by Bristol Garage) to City.

I'm on a Carrera Vanquish with mudguards. Back to cycling after a longish gap (knocked off my Brompton by a cabbie a few years ago. Feel much safer on a proper bike (plus I'm older and I think my attitude/risk awareness is better - My motorcycle test helped with the latter I think).

Nice forum, I've been browsing for a while for general hints/tips/fixes.

Comments

• lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Good karma. Well done to everyone involved. Lets hope that you don't need that second tube any time soon!
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    :D

Well, I've got two inner tubes in the bag, plus one in the office and another at home.

And I'm running Bontrager Hardcases.

Surely that's enough.... (crosses fingers).

The only reason I "punctured" in the first place is because an earlier repair (from when I was running Ultra Sports) failed.

I'm not going to bother fixing inner tubes any more. For £3 a time I'll just bin them.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good story.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Awesome, good work all round :-)

I've been in a grumpy mood since getting rear-ended yesterday; thought my bike was fine, but discovered on the way home that the rear shifter wasn't working properly, which turned out to be a partially shredded outer cable (thanks again, tw4t!)

Wandered down to the St Paul's Bike Hut this morning with my shredded cable; not only did they drop everything to cut a new one to exactly the right length for me, they also wouldn't accept any payment. Even better, they had a Montane Fealtherlite Velo (I've been meaning to get one for a while) on the sale rack at half price. Wouldn't have seen that if it hadn't been for the gear cable...

My faith in humanity (and karma) is restored :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    TGOTB wrote:
    Even better, they had a Montane Fealtherlite Velo (I've been meaning to get one for a while) on the sale rack at half price.

Any chance you could pop down at lunchtime and get me one? :lol: :P

Good job the rear wheel wasn't knocked out of true.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    cjcp wrote:
    Last one I'm afraid...

BTW, were you the guy I spoke to on Embankment last night? KW shorts and a Scott?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    TGOTB wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Last one I'm afraid...

D'oh! :)
    BTW, were you the guy I spoke to on Embankment last night? KW shorts and a Scott?

:lol: Yup. I've been looking out for a panniered-up roadie, but couldn't make out the decals on your bike when we spoke just after AB. We got split at the lights turning off the NKR onto the Putney Bridge approach.

KD was right - you have good speed, sir.

But WTF was that lunatic on the mtb doing?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    I really have no idea how people like that stay alive...

TBH, I was very lucky to catch you after you got away from me on the approach to Battersea Bridge. Didn't twig it was you until later, I'd been looking out for the bike on your sig...

That's further reduced my pootling opportunities :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    TGOTB wrote:
    I really have no idea how people like that stay alive...

TBH, I was very lucky to catch you after you got away from me on the approach to Battersea Bridge.

I thought you were behind me up the slope, so tried to point out the two cars changing lane. One on my right seemed a little close to my stays. When I looked back after the lights, I guessed that the car had kept trying to change lanes, giving you no room to squeeze through given that you had a pannier. Don't know what happened to the loony man.
    Didn't twig it was you until later, I'd been looking out for the bike on your sig...

That's further reduced my pootling opportunities :-)

Hmmm. Yes. I need to get off my backside and get new bar tape, change the bars and chainset for the bike in the sig. Job for the weekend.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."