Crud Road VS SKS Guards

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
My SKS's are not only looking worse for wear but are in need of being replaced due to them falling apart.

So Im looking at either geting a new set of SKS (For my Ribble) or maybe a set of Crud Road guards, The question is what would YOU go for and why ?
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    I use the cruds , I think they are great. Are you comparing them with the full SKS or the race guards? IMHO they are superior to both but in different ways!
    <a>road</a>
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    Having used both I would say that Crud is the better product. Just make sure that they will fit your bike, without rubbing.
  • fitted my cruds back in october, havent needed to adjust them once, no rubbing etc work perfect and fit perfect.
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Fitted the SKS race blades a week or so ago and would only use them as an emergency, as they rub and rattle and are generally annoying. The SKS full mudguards (on the hybrid) dont make a squeak

I would have got the cruds but they state a max tyre size of 25 and I'm running 28s for a bit of comfort.
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    What's the minimum amount of clearance you need to fit the crud mudguards, anyone have any ideas?

I'm considering a pair of them, but I'm not sure if they'll fit my bike.
    From what I can see, there's about 7mm clearance between the tyre and the frame (where the seat stays come together above the rear wheel). I have 700x23 tyres on my bike. So I'm considering the 18-23 size mudguards. Is that enough of a gap?
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    4mm clearance, if i'm remembering right.
    us0.png
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There's a big thread on this over in Road Buying that might help
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    Thanks FaynmanC and Wrath Rob, I found the thread.

Getting a bit fed up with getting wet from the spray of water from the road, so mudguards becoming a bit of a necessity.
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy