10m TT route in Cornwall?

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Does anyone know of a good 10m TT route in Cornwall - I'd like to have a practice at time trialing.

Thanks
J

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • wastrel
    wastrel Posts: 55
    The best way to practice is just to do one.
    There's a pretty relaxed Camel Valley 'club 10' on easter bank holiday monday.
    08.00 Roche Victory Hall (be there 07:30 to sign on £3) - they'll make you welcome :) - specially if you want to join.
    It's in Cornwall so it's not completely flat :wink:
    Or there are loads on the St Austell Wheelers event list.
  • Cornish-J
    Monday 5th April
    Club 10mile TT
    S103/10 Roche 08:00

That says club 10mile TT? does that mean it's only for club members as some of the others say 'open' which i assume is for everyone?

I would like to enter but I don't think i'd do very well :(
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    But if you don't enter you'll never know?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Most clubs run their own TT's which, whilst not an actual open event, they let other riders join in. Club members are usually free while others pay a small charge (£3 in this case apparently).

Just ride it, the beauty of a TT is that it doesn't really matter what time you clock relative to everyone else but that it gives you a benchmark for future rides.
  • wastrel
    Most clubs are more than happy for new guys/gals to try a few club events prior to joining - this club certainly is.
    For 'open' events you need to be a member of a club and fill in a CTT entry form (an acquired skill - which I'm still working on).
    Just go for it - there will be all abilities from 21 - 30 odd mins there and you'll probably surprise yourself :)
  • Cornish-J
    You have way too much faith in me Wastrel :p

I assume you do a bit of time trialing then? Do you ever go down to that roche route and practice your 10mile TT? If you ever go down for a practice any time I would be keen to tag along and maybe pick up some tips!

I only live at lostwithiel so only takes me about 10mins to get to victoria.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Seriously go along and give the club TT a go, there'll be all sorts of abilities if it's anything like my club TTs. There's not much in the way of tips for time trialling, just ride at the highest effort you can sustain for half an hour, get as aero a position as you can manage (possibly get some clip on tri bars) and concentrate. As soon as your mind starts wandering on to anything other than riding our speed drops - this was always my biggest problem!
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I've never done any TT's, and also fancy giving it a go.

I'm in Saltash so a similar neck of the woods!

See here for a local race calendar:

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?sr ... ope/London
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Cornish-J wrote:
    Monday 5th April
    Club 10mile TT
    S103/10 Roche 08:00

That says club 10mile TT? does that mean it's only for club members as some of the others say 'open' which i assume is for everyone?

I would like to enter but I don't think i'd do very well :(
    The words "pretty relaxed" and "they'll make you welcome" ought to give you a clue. Most clubs are very pleased to see new people taking up the sport. A club TT is usually a relaxed affair, just turn up, pay a tiny entry fee and ride. Open events are often part of a series and usually attract more dedicated competitors. You usually have to have joined a club that's affiliated to CTT and get your entry to the organiser about 12-14 days before the event.

Time trialling is not really about whether you do well against the others - it's about racing against yourself more than anything. Use your first attempt to set a benchmark for the next time you do it. I started time trialling at my local club in 2008 and subsequently wished I'd done it years ago. Any roadworthy bike is acceptable, though a racing bike with clipless pedals is ideal. Don't think you need all the gear to have a go, that's definitely not the case.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Cornish-J
    Just went and tried a practice 10m close to my house - wasn't really well prepared with regards to nutrition and it was quite a hilly route and had a head wind for most of the ride so was quite slow (is that enough excuses??) :P - did 35mins at 17mph average.

Gives me a bench mark at least!
  • wastrel
    Well, there you go then :D
    Nothing wrong with 17mph around there - you'll be at least 20mph on the TT track.
    You'll see several others from Lostwithiel and probably recognise people you never even knew had a bike!
    I will warn you it can be quite addictive - even if you are rubbish like me.