Hello all,

Shark Sandwich
Shark Sandwich Posts: 77
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
New boy on the block here , started riding about 6 weeks ago, 6 mile commute each way in surrey.

Now is it an unwritten rule that one motorist will get stroppy with you on every journey you take or is it my riding?

And yes i have a hi viz top!

J

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Hello and welcome,

After a while the stroppy motorists become a blur. If i had to sit in traffic for a few hours everyday i'd be pretty stroppy as well.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Lots of stroppy revvy drivers. Lots of them.

I find sticking to road rules, being visible, being clear and obvious in your intent/direction and not hugging the kerb helps - even if they get a bit revvy behind you - tough luck!

One thing I keep seeing is new cyclists hugging the kerbs then going all wobbly and jittery when trying to get around a parked car - the trick is to make a smoooth and long transition out to the middle of the road, well before getting to the car... I like to think of my riding as a heavily smoothed line, to be as predictable an entity as possible to drivers.

Still a lot who will get arsey with you, seems to be the way.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • catflea
    catflea Posts: 21
    Heya fellow newbie. I Joined today too :D
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yeah, don't worry about it and don't rise to it. Remember they're driving a few tons of steel and (I presume) you're not!

Unfortunately hi-viz doesn't mean they'll love you!

Don't let the b@stards wear you down, and try not to let it wind you up. Zen and the art of commuting, anyone?
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Now is it an unwritten rule that one motorist will get stroppy with you on every journey you take or is it my riding?
    No, I believe that its actually be written down on several motoring forums.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Well it could be your riding :D

Depends how you ride really...

If you ride like a to$$er, expect to get treated like one.

If you ride well (see cyclecraft for the guidelines) and take into account those around you, ride with a smile on your face and say "thank you", give a thumbs up etc to anyone who actually sees you, and if you are enjoying your commute...Then who cares what Mr, Miss or Mrs angry car driver think of your riding?
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Hello Newbs

Hi-Viz is cool (well not cool, but acceptable) - I'll be wearing it up until the clocks change, then I'll be re-joining the groovy gang. (so not only nerdy but pedantic too),

I find a driver will do something potentially dangerous on my route every day, but only get actual deliberate agression a couple of times a year. I can tell the difference as I used to be a scooter-boy experienced aggression from drivers about every half a mile.
  • Too be honest the daily ride has dropped my stress levels about 80% so i'm not complaining! It just seems that theres always someone who cant bear the 5 second delay while make a turn across a lane of traffic.

In general though i have to say that most drivers are a lot more considerate than i would have thought! Its jst the small percenatge who seem to get the hump.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I get that even if I'm driving though - the car behind me trying to push me along because I'm in front of them :roll: .

Whilst cycling, I put up a hand to say thank you to cars that have had to wait behind me for more than 20 seconds. Whether it makes any difference I don't know, but I don't get too much grief from drivers.

(And welcome newbies!)
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    R_T_A wrote:
    Whilst cycling, I put up a hand to say thank you to cars that have had to wait behind me for more than 20 seconds. Whether it makes any difference I don't know, but I don't get too much grief from drivers.

I think it works which is why I do it as well..When I'm driving and someone says thanks, it reduces the stress levels a bit and gives me a sense of well being

You only have to let one person out in a queue of traffic when your driving to see the effect it has, before you know it you're 10 cars further back as the good will spreads and everyone lets someone in...in front of you!

Say thank you, it's cost nothing, and we're all just trying to get somewhere

Drivers are cyclists too (well this one is for the moment anyway)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs