Is the Beast still ridable ?

bamba
bamba Posts: 856
edited March 2010 in Routes
Went up ladybower by my self yesterday for a ride out, thought id have a go at the beast, from what ive seen of video footage it looked a lot different, bigger drops off the big rocks in to not much of a land area ect,found my self getting off in some places.
now am i being a woose or has the weather taken its toll, plus the 2 motor crossers that seamed to plague me most of the day.
apart from that, a good day out , with good weather to boot :D

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    The Beast changes almost weekly now due to weather Moto-X etc.Personally i now think it's easier to clean than it was a year or so ago,less obstacles.It is getting churned up in places but there are far more ridable lines than there used to be.
  • bamba
    think i'l give it a miss in future, was concerned about my front wheel dropping down, forks compressed and going straight over the top, i supposse if you carried some speed you'd land on 2 wheels ,what the decsent like heading N/W from hope cross ?
    went down gores/lockerbrook for the first time, that was good, think i have reached the end of my bike abilaties though,my eye balls were about rattled out
  • sniper68
    Do you mean the one if you go straight on instead of turning right down the Beast?That's Blackley Hey about 800m long,loose and rocky but not as technical as the Beast.It brings you out at the bottom of the Rowlee Farm Track which is also a more ridable climb than Hagg Farm 8)
  • bamba
    yep straight on after coming from the woods/ down roman road
  • sniper68
    OOPs editing ias you posted
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Hey Bamba, that' what I did, forks in big hole compressed, slow gracefull arc over bars to land directly on head, thank god for helmet and that was on a midweek afternoon, hate to think how long any would have taken to find me if the fall was worse. Shan't be trying the Beast again any time soon!
  • sniper68
    A little bit of speed is your friend on the Beast.Just keep off the brakes and let the bike do its job 8)
    I've cleaned it on the last 3 or 4 goes,just dabs on the runs i've not cleaned.I'm on a FS though but a couple of riders i've been down with have cleaned it on HTs.I myself,in the past, have had a few over the bars moments but i always manage to unclip and have never really been hurt.
    I spent a couple of frustrating years not cleaning it,the revelation for me came when i started dropping my saddle(i'd always been sceptical)the 1st run out with my Joplin and i cleaned it 8)
  • bamba
    Me thinks a bit more confidnce is needed then and may be a new bike ,speed was the last thing on my mind at the time.My seat is always down on descents, as far as it will go down any way.
    Its a tad bent mind due to a misshap at stile cop last year.