How long does it take to cycle places in London and stuff

2»

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    goco wrote:
    Quick question for all those posting times and average speeds - are these taken from your cycle computers (ie only counting while the wheels are spinning) or are you quoting total time from start to finish, so including stationary periods at traffic lights?

For instance, I do highgate to canary wharf, 7.6 miles, around 31min according to the cycle computer, but total time including stationary periods is nearer 35min. So depending on which time you use, average speed is either 14.3mph or 13mph.

Not much difference I know, but just wondering what people usually quote.....?

I always use door to door moving time in urban with all the spining up and down is a waste of time.

means I average 10+ mph though some days only just.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Lights normally only make a few minutes difference. It's congestion that extends the time the most, especially as I obey SCR rules ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    JonGinge wrote:
    Lights normally only make a few minutes difference. It's congestion that extends the time the most, especially as I obey SCR rules ;)

or if like I your not a fan of filtering at any sort of speed, which can make a heck of a differance.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

or if like I your not a fan of filtering at any sort of speed, which can make a heck of a differance.
    Indeed, I am a cautious filterer. I don't feel the need to be at the front of ASLs :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Indeed, I am a cautious filterer. I don't feel the need to be at the front of ASLs :lol:

Really? I filter like a b@stard. I love whipping through traffic beating all the cars although you do have to watch out for errant pedestrians meandering through the traffic or cars turning through queues etc
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Three great things about cycling as a way of getting round London:

1) It's fast. On virtually any route/distance you can beat any alternative option by a margin
    2) It's flexible. Some routes are ok-ish by PT; others are a bugger. I do Tower Bridge Rd to Covent Garden quite a lot, eg. That would be a swine to do by bus/tube - on a bike, 15 mins.
    3) It's predictable. My commute used to take anything from 30-50 mins by bus & tube, depending on things like whether you just missed a bus, traffic, holdup on the tube etc. On the bike, it's always 25 mins, +/- 3, depending on the wind.

Oh yeah, one other: it's fun! :D
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • goco wrote:
    Quick question for all those posting times and average speeds - are these taken from your cycle computers (ie only counting while the wheels are spinning) or are you quoting total time from start to finish, so including stationary periods at traffic lights?

For instance, I do highgate to canary wharf, 7.6 miles, around 31min according to the cycle computer, but total time including stationary periods is nearer 35min. So depending on which time you use, average speed is either 14.3mph or 13mph.

Not much difference I know, but just wondering what people usually quote.....?

I always quote actual time including stationary periods, that is afterall how long it takes. I am curious however to know how long my commute is just counting spinning time...might try it sometime soon...
  • I think my route is just under 10 miles, but I do that in about 50 minutes it will be less soon. Not sure on average speed it does depend on the time of day but I cycle down the canal for the vast majority of my ride. Which is a lot better than being on the road.

Yes Hammersmith is a ***** to get around that in a van let alone cycling. I trvael in from a harrow direction, into town its not that really that far. TFL is usless really most of time.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am looking to start commuting into London a day or two a week from near Watford - joining the GU canal at northolt. Is the towpath as good as I am hoping...?!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    PaulBox wrote:
    Once you start you won't look back. Welcome to the revolution.

Until your bike gets nicked...

I think you are meant to buy a complete bike on the cycle scheme, but I'm sure a friendly bike shop would be willing to sort something out for you.

Take your bike indoors at work or insure it:
    http://www.butterworthinsurance.co.uk/

Probably worth joining the LCC as well:
    http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=49
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I do 11 miles from Barnet to the City.

It takes me 45 minutes on the way in. The things that make a difference to the time are traffic lights and wind.

I ALWAYS stop for red lights.
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    Awesome, thanks so much for all the replies. I did find cycling in London quite intimidating when I did it before but I hadn't really ridden a bike for a few years and just jumped straight into it. I think I'll find it a lot easier now to be honest.

I'm pretty sure my place of work has secure parking / bike locking things and it will be kept inside when I am at home (well, hopefully, I don't actually have a place to live yet but this is a must as far as I am concerned).

The touche looks nice (and I can get horrible fluoro yellowy green wheels on it for £85!) so I will probably test ride one when I know more about when I can sign up to cyclescheme. I really know very little about bikes but I kind of had my heart set on a steel frame, even though I have no idea why. What are the advantages of both?

I dunno about actually living in Hammersmith, I lived in SE London before and I've got this stupid thing about not living north of the river. Plus I have very good friends in SE and in SW so I wanted to live somewhere fairly central but not too far to work. Clapham sort of area seems like a good call.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Clapham Junction would be a perfect location for you. North, Common and South are full up :twisted: