Corsham to Chippenham, Calne to Chippenham or Corsham toBath

alandoc
alandoc Posts: 4
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

I'm about to move to the South West. Does anyone have experience of doing the above commutes?

I've not seen the above routes at peak times but the A4 doesn't look very cycle friendly.

Alan

Comments

• Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Alan, you are right, the A4 isn't very cycle friendly, however it isn't the worst A road I've ever come across. Luckily for you there are a huge number of little country roads that will get you where you want to go. Fantastic Hills and scenery....
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    There are some great routes through Bidestone to Corsham from Chippenham. Further afield Bath is great if you go through Bidestone, Slaughterford, Thickwood and Colerne. I spent 3 glorious years cycling and running in that area.
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    PM a member called The Running Man, I think that is his neck of the woods.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • alandoc
    That's all encouraging, thanks.

Alan
  • Snudge
    Snudge Posts: 40
    Corsham to Chip: short trip down the A4. You'll be able to go past the very spot where Eddie Cochrane was killed but that shouldn't put you off - he was in a car.
    Calne to Chip: There is a (rather rough last time I was on it) route along the old railway line including a nice bridge at Black Dog Hill just outside Calne.
    Corsham to Bath: Again the A4 is the quickest route. I have cycle-commuted from Bristol to Chippenham (22 miles each way) a long time ago and never had any problems though I didn't do it often.

There are some beautiful Cotswoldy villages around there: I think the aforementioned Biddestone is more picturesque than the famous Castle Combe. But anyway, nice cycling area IMO.
  • Hi Alan - lots of nice rides but you're right the A4 is pretty grim. Will post you a couple of alternatives on Monday morning.

Welcome to Wiltshire :)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Snudge wrote:
    You'll be able to go past the very spot where Eddie Cochrane was killed but that shouldn't put you off - he was in a car.

Was that by the railway bridge where the McDs is now?

http://tinyurl.com/ykcfvl7
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Morning chaps : ref Eddie Cochran : I think he was killed in a car crash at Rowden Hill which ironically is where the local hospital is sitauted in Chippenham.

Ref : cycle routes from Calne to Chippenham for Alan :
    Depends what you're riding really. The safest and arguably nicest route is to follow the cycle path from Castlefields Park along the old railway line past Black Dog Halt and it brings you out on a short road section at the bottom of Studley Hill before rejoining the old railway track and it takes you into the park right in the centre of Chippenham.

If you're keen to do a road route then be prepared for some hills on the way home :)

There are some nice runs out through Ratford to Bremhill and then you have the choice of belting down to Stanley or taking a longer route, still fast round to Tytherton Lucas and out to Kellaways. You can always extend that by going out to Spirthill and cutting back through Foxham and Avon as well.

Up to you but just remember what goes down must come up. Wick Hill is a long drag on the way home followed by a nasty little 200 mtr climb at the top and is evil on a wet and windy day but there are lots of lanes to experiment with and explore and most of it really picturesque.

:)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Snudge
    Snudge Posts: 40
    redvee wrote:
    Snudge wrote:
    You'll be able to go past the very spot where Eddie Cochrane was killed but that shouldn't put you off - he was in a car.

Was that by the railway bridge where the McDs is now?

http://tinyurl.com/ykcfvl7

Yes, it's just round the corner into town a bit.

That area's changed a lot since my day (the 80s). I used to imagine the lamppost in question was by the Pheasant, but the actual site is on Rowden Hill on the left as you go up a slight right-hander, near Lowden IIRC. Looked on Google street view but the road was up on the day they went by! Dunno if the fan club still have a memorial service but the anniversary is coming up.
  • alandoc
    Well thank you The Running Man and Snudge - that is very helpful.

Three weeks to find somewhere to live and then I can try some of these routes. Will make a nice change from London!
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I grew up in Corsham and still visit regularly. The nicest way from Corsham to Bath is via Bradford Road - Kingsdown - Bathford - Batheaston (old A4). That avoids the A4 completely, the only issue being a rather steep hill in Bathford on the way back. To avoid this you can take the A4 from Batheaston to Box and then the Devizes Road, taking a left when it meets the Bradford Road.

I regularly cycle from London to Bath and take the A4 the whole way, but understand some may find it unpleasant at peak times and on a daily basis. Some parts on the Calne-Bath stretch are narrow and get pretty busy. The road surface is also diabolical, especially Calne-Chippenham.

There is also a nice back route from Corsham to Chippenham via Westrop and Easton. No way to avoid the A4 for the last bit though (only a mile or so).

a serious case of small cogs