How long does it take to cycle places in London and stuff

monkeydan
monkeydan Posts: 95
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Howdy y'all, long time listener, first time caller.

I will shortly be moving back to London (from Southampton) and will be working in Hammersmith. I don't have anywhere to live yet but the plan is to move somewhere round Clapham / Battersea / Wandsworth and cycle from there (hopefully not much more than 5-6 miles as I am a lazy so-and-so). I know that many of you commute in London so how long does it take you generally to get to work and how far is it from where you live?

When I lived in London before I cycled from Surrey Quays to Waterloo which is not very far but it took freakin ages. I think this had a lot to do with my fat, flat mountain bike tyres, weight (me, not the bike) and level of fitness.

I am also hoping to get a new bike under cyclescheme (I'm currently palpling a Trek 7.3fx and a old chrome Raleigh single=speed which is WAY too big for me). I am looking at SS or fixed gear bikes (I know, I know) up to the £600 mark. So far I am looking at..

Langster Steel
Genesis Flyer
Surly Steamroller (2010 is a bit more that £600 but everyone who has one seems to love them!)

Are there any other bikes you would recommend? I really want to put together my own bike but I don't think there is one shop at which I could buy everything I wanted and I think it would also work out massively more expensive than I imagine, although I haven't bothered pricing everything out yet. Can any LBS or chain store order in any bits of kit even if they don't carry them as a general rule (i.e. will they order some Sugino cranks or whatever so I can still get everything through cyclescheme?)

OK, that'll do for my first post, thanks in advance for any assistance you can povide :)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Commuting in London? Don't know anything about that....

Single Speed bikes? Don't know anything about those

Aaah! Not much use

Someone else 'll be along in a minute.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I don;t know much about single speed bikes but I do know about cycling in London. I often do Camberwell to Earls Court - which is probably a simlar length of Wandsworth to Hammersmith. Takes me about 20 - 30 minutes..so I reckon yours will be about that too...maybe quicker.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    You travel at 12mph in London if you stop at lights.

12.1mph if you don't.

I can up this to an average 15mph (like travelling at 20 to 30mph between junctions), but then it starts getting dangerous and is not really enjoyable.
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    Hi monkeydan. My commute is a leisurely 4 miles (central London) and takes me 20 minutes.
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • monkeydan
    Cheers for the replies and welcome so far. I was hoping that 20-30 minutes would be about right. Now I just have to find a place to live that fits the bill.

Oh yeah, in terms of bikes i was also looking at the Fuji track with the extra money going towards upgrading... stuff. Again, everyone with a Fuji track frame seems to love it but the wheels, saddle and pretty much everything else sound a bit crap.
  • monkeydan
    DOUBLE POST LOL
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Be very careful on Hammersmith roundabout.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    16 miles, takes me about an hour.

Cycling is by far the fastest method of getting around London.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    try different routes but about 30 mins would be my ball park, easy ride.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Welcome to the forum.

I come in from Kingston - about 15 miles. Should take me 55 mins. SC Stats means that's all gone to pot. It's now 1-1hr 15 min.

Wandsworth/Clapham's probably around 30 mins. I think Il Principe on here comes in from there on a SS.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Check Charliethebikemonger and velosolo for single speed stuff. I'm in the process of building one up at the moment, if you are willing to shop around and buy some bits 2nd hand you can build a decent bike for half your budget. Also check out WWW.lfgss.com for lots of single speed info, and excessive swearing.

+1 for 12mph average in London.
  • metalmonkey
    metalmonkey Posts: 144
    I think my route is just under 10 miles, but I do that in about 50 minutes it will be less soon. Not sure on average speed it does depend on the time of day but I cycle down the canal for the vast majority of my ride. Which is a lot better than being on the road.

Yes Hammersmith is a bitch to get around that in a van let alone cycling. I trvael in from a harrow direction, into town its not that really that far. TFL is usless really most of time.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Fixed (or single speed, if you really must) is cert for commuting.

Go to LFGSS and search...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • my commute is 6 miles each way...Greenwich to Holborn. have done it in 24 mins when totally fit and green lights with me. currently taking 30-35 mins as I'm nursing knee problems...it's pootle town for me at the moment but beats the DLR/tube any day. btw, I'm riding a mountain bike with knobblies. that'll account for some of the lack of speed (maybe)!
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I used to do Brixton prison to Hammersmith Road, via Wandsworth bridge and Parsons Green. It'd take me about 40 minutes on a pootly day and 30ish when the gods were smiling.

Single speed is totally doable on that route, there are no long hills, so you can just power up the small ones that are there. Use a GI of 70ish and you'll be fine.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Some good advice here. Don't worry about the Hammersmith roundabout you just need to be positive. Why not think about living in Hammersmith? I did for 7 years and it's a great place. Would be terrible for the SC Stats though!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yep, cycling in London is by far the most pleasurable and quickest way to get places. Once you get your fitness levels up and know enough mechanics to keep your bike running slick 'n' smooth (no clicks, crack, grinding noises etc as you ride, just smooth silence and gear changes), you can get pretty much anywhere in zones 1 to 3 faster than any kind of motor transport save perhaps helicopter (never actually tried that though).

I often travel to and from places by bike whilst my flat mate travels the same journey by public transport or car and 99% of the time, for the return journey, I can get home, put the bike away, shower, change and be sat watching TV for 5-10 mins before he comes through the door.

Once you start you won't look back. Welcome to the revolution.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Check Charliethebikemonger and velosolo for single speed stuff. I'm in the process of building one up at the moment, if you are willing to shop around and buy some bits 2nd hand you can build a decent bike for half your budget. Also check out WWW.lfgss.com for lots of single speed info, and excessive swearing.

+1 for 12mph average in London.

And if I was buying a single-speed bike new, I would probably go for this:

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/index.html?action=97
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Canny Jock wrote:
    And if I was buying a single-speed bike new, I would probably go for this:

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/index.html?action=97

+1 for the Touche I have one and it';s great as are Pearsons in general
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    once again, +1 with most people:
    - welcome to the forum
    - good for you on the commuting choice
    - 12MPH is about right: I do Ealing to St Paul's (10+ miles) in about 50mns
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203

Until your bike gets nicked...

I think you are meant to buy a complete bike on the cycle scheme, but I'm sure a friendly bike shop would be willing to sort something out for you.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited March 2010
    cjcp wrote:
    Welcome to the forum.

I come in from Kingston - about 15 miles. Should take me 55 mins. SC Stats means that's all gone to pot. It's now 1-1hr 15 min.

Wandsworth/Clapham's probably around 30 mins. I think Il Principe on here comes in from there on a SS.

Yep, welcome!

I do Wandsworth to Bermondsey street area everyday - mostly on an SS. Takes between 20 to 27 mins. This morning it took 23 of which 3 mins was spent waiting at lights/in traffic.

Edit - Av speeds vary depending on route and distance. I only do 6.5 miles so can keep the speed high, and if I don't get caught in too much traffic then my av speed (total) is usually 15.5 mph and moving varies between 16 and 20.

As for SS bikes - yes the Pearson Touche is a great bike. Got one myself as well as a Kinesis Decade Convert2 which is a fantastic bit of kit.
  • Headhuunter
    PaulBox wrote:

Until your bike gets nicked...

I think you are meant to buy a complete bike on the cycle scheme, but I'm sure a friendly bike shop would be willing to sort something out for you.

I've been commuting and cycling all over London for over 3 years and I've never had a bike nicked or tampered with in any way. Key is to get a good D lock and perhaps a cable lock to go with it, a fairly rubbish, dirty bike and always park it next to some flashy gits carbon framed job.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Cycling is definately the fastest way around London, I regulary beat my girlfriend home (we have done timed races) where she takes the tube from Victoria, and I cycle from around Liverpool Street to Ealing. I always beat her to Ealing Broadway!
  • goco
    goco Posts: 35
    Quick question for all those posting times and average speeds - are these taken from your cycle computers (ie only counting while the wheels are spinning) or are you quoting total time from start to finish, so including stationary periods at traffic lights?

For instance, I do highgate to canary wharf, 7.6 miles, around 31min according to the cycle computer, but total time including stationary periods is nearer 35min. So depending on which time you use, average speed is either 14.3mph or 13mph.

Not much difference I know, but just wondering what people usually quote.....?
  • Headhuunter
    goco wrote:
    Quick question for all those posting times and average speeds - are these taken from your cycle computers (ie only counting while the wheels are spinning) or are you quoting total time from start to finish, so including stationary periods at traffic lights?

For instance, I do highgate to canary wharf, 7.6 miles, around 31min according to the cycle computer, but total time including stationary periods is nearer 35min. So depending on which time you use, average speed is either 14.3mph or 13mph.

I barely use my cycle computer. I got sick of taking it off and putting it on then taking it off and putting it back on etc etc every time I had to lock the bike up somewhere. Now it mainly resides in my rucksack. My total journey time from SE4 to Chancery Lane/Holborn is about 20-25 mins. About 6 and a bit miles.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Coming in from the suburbs to central London takes about the same amount of time as PT but is more reliable (and enjoyable). In town its just quicker.

And another endorsement for the Touche btw.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    goco wrote:

11.3 miles between Mortlake and the City in any thing between 35 and 50 minutes door to door. Very much depends on the traffic and lights.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    goco wrote:

I always make clear whether it's 'moving' or 'total' time being posted. I hate watching the av speed slowly tick down when I hit traffic.
  • Headhuunter
    JonGinge wrote:
    goco wrote:

11.3 miles between Mortlake and the City in any thing between 35 and 50 minutes door to door. Very much depends on the traffic and lights.

Wow, that's quite a difference - 35 to 50 mins! Must be some nasty traffic lights. I'm tellin' ya, try the RLJ.... :wink: