recomend me some south wales riding

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2010 in Routes
ive got a couple of weeks leave coming my way from the start of april.

ive never ridden in south wales so seeing as its only 3 hours from where i live i fancy going for a visit

where should i go for, lets say, 3 days, and can anyone recommend me a campsite to stay at please.

thanks very much.

Comments

• jonnyc2420
    jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
    Cwmcarn has a campsite right at the start of the trail (well, within sight anyway) - well worth a look, but 3 days would be a bit repeatiitve although it might give you time to go accross and do Afan as well from the same base. Good info in this months MBUK.
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Afan is your best bet mate, theres the penhydd trail, the wall and just up the road is glyncorrwg where theres whites level which is a must and the skyline trail if your feeling fit.
    Theres a campsite in glyncorrwg at the trail centre and theres everything there you could need including a bike shop. You probably have to book it though cos it can get quite busy.

Cwmcarn is good but not as good as afan and glyncorrwg and then theres also the raven trail in brechfa forest in camarthenshire.

If you dont want to do the trail centres the brecon beacons is best and it be best if you just get a map and plan some routes, theres also plenty of places to camp.Have a look at mbwales.com, it gives some good routes, hope this has been helpfull to you mate.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i would reccommend afan/glyncorrwg. there's 4 or 5 great trails and a campsite at glyncorrwg (where the drop off cafe is) make sure you lock up your bike nice and tight though as it's had a bad rep for bike thefts in the past. if campings not your thing, the afan lodge hotel is supposed to be pretty good and bike friendly :D and there's also some log cabin type things. check these out :D

http://www.afanlodge.com/

http://b.griffiths_son.users.btopenworld.com/

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/c ... _park.aspx

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... mcarn.aspx

but don't forget cwmcarn on your way home, it's only 5 mins off the m4 and it'll only take you about an hour and a half to ride, worth a detour even if you're knackered :lol:
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    proper XC in the Brecons
    http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Well for you ST, theres the A40, A438 or perhaps the B4558.
  • Stew1066
    Stew1066 Posts: 17
    I just spent 2 days up at Afan (having never been MTB outside of the north/south downs) and have to say it was awesome!!

Considering all the rain there had been the trails were all in great condition and the mix of trails was excellent. I only got around to Whites, Penydd and the Wal but they were all great. Theres a circular disused railway line that links all of them up and the 2 centres made for great pitstops.

Hoping to get back in the summer and do the massive skyline one!
  • fattylee
    fattylee Posts: 4
    Abergorlech and Brechfa mate. Afan is full of AGNIDS who clog up the trail.

If you like more open stuff get up to Llanwrtyd Wells and get the miles and views (and beer) in.
  • Anonymous
    fattylee wrote:
    Abergorlech and Brechfa mate. Afan is full of AGNIDS who clog up the trail.

If you like more open stuff get up to Llanwrtyd Wells and get the miles and views (and beer) in.

sounds like id fit in to be fair
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Afan is pretty good, just take something very big and heavy to lock your bike to if you camp at Glyncorrwg, there's been a good few bikes nicked from there, otherwise it's an ideal place to stay with mountain biking cafe / bar on site and the trails starting on site.

Afan is worth riding, just get in and do Penhydd quick, I heard on the internet (so it must be true) that they're due to start some big forestry operations around there which will close the trail for a year. The other trails are actually even better so even if it is closed there's still plenty of good stuff to ride.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    What people said,

Base yourself at Afan its central to most of the trails in the south. Watch out a Brechfa fantastic trails but generally a bit crap int he wet, wehere Afan/Cwm hold up really well in the wet.

Shout when your in the area mate, will drag my fat unfit butt out.
  • JimmerG
    JimmerG Posts: 143
    Someone put me out of my misery - what are AGNIDS?!

J
  • Anonymous
    all the gear no idea
  • Briggo
    all the gear no idea

Brilliant, so people who are trying to get into the sport are mocked as they try and learn whatever by getting out there and doing it.

Do they have to automatically wear baggy jeans, cotton tops and own a £150 bike if they've never done it before?

What a ridiculous jealous acronym.
  • Anonymous
    Briggo wrote:
    all the gear no idea

Brilliant, so people who are trying to get into the sport are mocked as they try and learn whatever by getting out there and doing it.

Do they have to automatically wear baggy jeans, cotton tops and own a £150 bike if they've never done it before?

What a ridiculous jealous acronym.

agreed, thats why i look forward to fitting in.
  • Anonymous
    i forgot to add that in my experience it is a term used by folk who wish they could afford more expensive bikes themselves.
  • Briggo
    i forgot to add that in my experience it is a term used by folk who wish they could afford more expensive bikes themselves.

Aye, it fookin stinks of jealousy.

Anyway sorry Sheep, didnt mean to go offtopic ;)
  • Anonymous
    Briggo wrote:

Aye, it fookin stinks of jealousy.

Anyway sorry Sheep, didnt mean to go offtopic ;)

dont feel bad, it is right up there with orange bikes and fs vs ht as my fave arguments of all time.